Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:29 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Another thread about who was black and who wasn't. Wow.
This thread was started in 2012. That is because there is a small segment of African Americans that are hellbent on stealing other groups cultures and claiming it as their own. They claim to be the the real Moors, the real Hebrews, the real Egyptians etc. and that the people currently living in north Africa and the middle east are impostors. They spend a great deal of effort posting false information so someone has to refute some of their nonsense.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Maybe because there is some truth in it as with my off topic post. I cant imagine how Egyptians built the pyramids ( how more backward can a country get), especially north Africans. Africans are clever, vibrant, real traders and respect, family/women. If history is to be believed I would say Cleopatra was a beautiful Nubian rather than Arab

Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Maybe because there is some truth in it as with my off topic post. I cant imagine how Egyptians built the pyramids ( how more backward can a country get), especially north Africans. Africans are clever, vibrant, real traders and respect, family/women. If history is to be believed I would say Cleopatra was a beautiful Nubian rather than Arab
There was an indigenous black population in ancient Egypt very small amounts are currently found in modern day Egyptians in addition non-Africans are descended from that population. It is distinct from West Africans or East Africans(Nubians). The vast majority of sub-Saharan African admixture in modern Egyptians was integrated within the last 750 years due to the Arab slave trade. Take a look at figure 3 this study is very well done. There is no evidence that Cleopatra was a beautiful Nubian but she also wasn't an Arab. The culture that built the pyramids most likely spread from the upper Levant/Mesopotamia where agriculture started that is the more logical alternative, we will know in a few years genetic technology is evolving very rapidly.

http://www.cell.com/ajhg/pdf/S0002-9...%2900156-1.pdf

Last edited by AFP; 01-10-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Egypt was an Empire then and with all Empires people moved more easily within. Cleopatra was probably part Sudanese-Greek, who is to know. But remember the Nile does start in what the British called the Dark continent. The Nile is the key. Interesting post, AFP

Old 01-10-2016, 01:10 PM
AFP

Quote:
Egypt was an Empire then and with all Empires people moved more easily within. Cleopatra was probably part Sudanese-Greek, who is to know. But remember the Nile does start in what the British called the Dark continent. The Nile is the key. Interesting post, AFP
That is quite plausible.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
As far as is known, Cleopatra was Macedonian with a bit of Persian:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...l#post39816803

Old 01-15-2016, 05:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Cleopatra was Greek.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This thread was started in 2012. That is because there is a small segment of African Americans that are hellbent on stealing other groups cultures and claiming it as their own. They claim to be the the real Moors, the real Hebrews, the real Egyptians etc. and that the people currently living in north Africa and the middle east are impostors. They spend a great deal of effort posting false information so someone has to refute some of their nonsense.
You seem a little passionate. I don't think "The Black People of America" are claiming to be the descendants of Hebrews.

Regarding North Africans, does anyone remember Mostafa Hefny? He was from North Africa and tried to be classified as "black" instead of "white." He has quite curly hair and brown skin...

For those who believe that none of the Moors were "black," why is there such diversity in North Africa? The dark-skinned people there are phenotypically distinct from West Africans.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
You seem a little passionate. I don't think "The Black People of America" are claiming to be the descendants of Hebrews.

Regarding North Africans, does anyone remember Mostafa Hefny? He was from North Africa and tried to be classified as "black" instead of "white." He has quite curly hair and brown skin...

For those who believe that none of the Moors were "black," why is there such diversity in North Africa? The dark-skinned people there are phenotypically distinct from West Africans.
And now the argument changes. The question was "were the Morrs black?" Not "were some of the Moors black." No one is denying that some were, just like some were white and some were brown.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:25 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post

1. A tiny segment that call themselves the Hebrew Israelites do claim to be descendants of the biblical Hebrews

2. I don't deny that a variety of phenotypes are currently found in the population of north Africa

3. Some Moors were mixed, a segment of the Sanhaja tribe migrated to southern Morocco and married black women, clearly some Moors were black the vast majority weren't.

4. The people of Morocco with a "black" complexion are very diverse genetically and carry DNA from various populations.

*Maghrebi
*Near Eastern
*European
*East African
*West African

The attached link indicates that the sub-Saharan DNA component found in the current population of Morocco is fairly recent compared to the others.

PLOS Genetics: Genomic Ancestry of North Africans Supports Back-to-Africa Migrations
"the proposed migration of sub-Saharans to southern Morocco at about 1,200 years ago coincides with the rise of the Ghana Empire, involved in the trans-Saharan slave trading, and the “Great Berber Uprising” which established Berber kingdoms throughout Morocco."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History