Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
African Americans ey? You gotta lay off the medical marijuana, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This post doesn't even deserve a response it is so out there in left field that it is pure rubbish good for lining a trash can not based on any accurate facts. You do realize that African Americans are of mixed ancestry primarily West African with significant European and a minor Native American admixture that is unique to North America. The first recorded child of African ancestry born in America was born in St. Augustine, Florida on January 3, 1606 that is about 900 years after 711. You signed in to post this rubbish and label people bigots and infidels what a joke, you must have been looking in the mirror.
I it possible he employing a little sarcasm? I did not respond because I was not sure.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I it possible he employing a little sarcasm? I did not respond because I was not sure.
I don't think so infidel is a derogatory term it's a serious word when you take the entire content of the post into consideration.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:18 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
"Mauro" in Italian doesn't mean "dark skinned", it means either a proper name or the ancient name of the inhabitants of the Roman region of Mauretania.
"Moor" is "Moro" in Italian but it doesn't mean "dark skinned", it means someone olive skinned or someone with brown hair.
I'm afraid that's incorrect. In Italian, the word is spelled "Moro", derived from the Latin "Mauro". And it does mean "dark skinned" or "Moorish".

Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that's incorrect. In Italian, the word is spelled "Moro", derived from the Latin "Mauro". And it does mean "dark skinned" or "Moorish".
I'm afraid I speak Italian natively.
"Moro" is used for someone tanned or slightly darker, it doesn't mean an African and in its old usage (for the Muslims Moors) it never meant Black Africans but North Africans.
Do you have brown hair? Then you might be a Moor as well in Italian.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I speak Italian natively.
"Moro" is used for someone tanned or slightly darker, it doesn't mean an African and in its old usage (for the Muslims Moors) it never meant Black Africans but North Africans.
Do you have brown hair? Then you might be a Moor as well in Italian.

So then, you are now agreeing that the word means what I said it means, in Italian, instead of just meaning someone who lives in Mauritania or a proper name. I said it was the Italian word for a Moor. I never said it meant black Africans, nor would I agree that the Moors were black Africans. Because they weren't.

Being a native speaker doesn't ensure that you know the definition of every word in that language. I doubt that there are many people on the planet who could lay claim to that ability, no matter what language they speak.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
So then, you are now agreeing that the word means what I said it means, in Italian, instead of just meaning someone who lives in Mauritania or a proper name. I said it was the Italian word for a Moor. I never said it meant black Africans, nor would I agree that the Moors were black Africans. Because they weren't.

Being a native speaker doesn't ensure that you know the definition of every word in that language. I doubt that there are many people on the planet who could lay claim to that ability, no matter what language they speak.
You said that :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin
Mauro in Italian means "dark skinned" or "Moor"
which is false since Mauro is either a proper name or the old name for the inhabitants of the Roman region of Mauretania.
As I said in the reply "Moro" means "Moor" (both the name and the adjective) and someone who is olive skinned, like a Berber or an Arab.
I don't know you but for "darker skinned" I mean someone who is practically Black and in this case "Moro" is never used.
If you mean with "darker skinned" people from nowadays North Africa (i.e. Arabs and Berbers) then ok, otherwise no.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 6,909 times
Moors, as from the Classical and Medieval eras indicate berberiscs, which are caucasics and do have a remote origin in the Middle East.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,829 times
OP: Yes, it's clear the Moors were Black. (The question was were the Moors "BLACK" not African). Historical pictures, writings, and even Shakespeare portrayed the Moors as very dark human beings. Like my grandmother used to say, they had white paint, they had yellow paint, they had red paint and they had BLACK paint. They knew what they were painting in ancient times! If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...you know the rest! Stop trying to alter history.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliper View Post
Moors, as from the Classical and Medieval eras indicate berberiscs, which are caucasics and do have a remote origin in the Middle East.

Sooo... is this a moor or a berber? What is the source? Most dark moor pictures on these posts had captions containing the word "moor"...

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You said that :

which is false since Mauro is either a proper name or the old name for the inhabitants of the Roman region of Mauretania.
As I said in the reply "Moro" means "Moor" (both the name and the adjective) and someone who is olive skinned, like a Berber or an Arab.
I don't know you but for "darker skinned" I mean someone who is practically Black and in this case "Moro" is never used.
If you mean with "darker skinned" people from nowadays North Africa (i.e. Arabs and Berbers) then ok, otherwise no.
So what is the Italian word for a black person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History