Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Yes, the Moors were a "Black". They showed you exactly who they were. Why would they depict themselves in such a manner if they didn't look this way? The Aboriginal Arabs were what we now refer to as Black and look no different from today's African American that you ride next to on the bus (quite literally). This has been written about in many books by scholars both Black and European (so called White). The White Arab that you see dominating North African (aka Middle East) today conquered the land from the Original people there (Blacks). It is the White Arab that dominates the region today however it was not always this way. Black Arabs were in Arabia thousands of years before White got there and assimilated into the culture and religion (Islam). Even White Arab scholars know this.

Would you like some references to where you could find out this information for yourself?
I'm a Moore. For years I would always think to myself, what does my last name mean? Once I finally made the decision pursue

Old 04-25-2015, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,051 times
Red face I'm a curious "Moore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Yes, the Moors were a "Black". They showed you exactly who they were. Why would they depict themselves in such a manner if they didn't look this way? The Aboriginal Arabs were what we now refer to as Black and look no different from today's African American that you ride next to on the bus (quite literally). This has been written about in many books by scholars both Black and European (so called White). The White Arab that you see dominating North African (aka Middle East) today conquered the land from the Original people there (Blacks). It is the White Arab that dominates the region today however it was not always this way. Black Arabs were in Arabia thousands of years before White got there and assimilated into the culture and religion (Islam). Even White Arab scholars know this.

Would you like some references to where you could find out this information for yourself?
I'm a Moore. For years I would always think to myself, what does my last name mean? I never could understand why this young white girl, same age as me has the same last name as I but looks completely opposite from me. Once I finally made the decision to pursue college (considering I wasn't the "college type") I found myself (but not to this extent). In 2013 my dad told me he had a documentary he wanted me to watch. I watched it and I was impressed but had lots of questions. Still to this day I do. I was talking to a friend of mines about the mors and what I thought they were. She told me that I was wrong about my knowledge of them and that they were Muslims who invaded the British. She also mentioned that it's a slave name that was given to us. I really couldn't debate and go deeper with her because I didnt have any reliable resources to where I could be as confident as her. She's highly educated, extremely smart, older and someone I look up too. She's also from Trinidad. At the end of our conversation she told me that I made some good valid points and she did as well. That conversation has pushed me to do this. Im so not the social media type or quick to just be as open like this at all. I really pushed myself to do this because I want to weigh my options on what appears to be more factual. Now that I'm at the end I see the topic review. Are these the references?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM

260 posts, read 218,366 times
Shakespeare thought they were. Othello anyone?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
Shakespeare thought they were. Othello anyone?

Good proof that... a 16th century playwright who never left England.

MODERATORS...recently I moved that a certain racist thread on the Olmecs be locked based on the fact that it had been proven without a doubt that the Olmecs were Mexican and nothing but. Any further effort to "claim" the Olmecs as Africans were nothing but naked racism. The request was granted.

This is a similar situation. Undoubtedly there were black African Moors, but it has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt with artwork, genetics, etc. that they were primarily North Africans as we know then today, and the term either was originally or came to be used generically to entail any North African Muslims, even white ones. It is not quite as bad as trying to out right co-opt Mexican history for Africa, but it is similarly an incorrect conclusion driven by racial animus.

I am nobody, but my humble recommendation is also that this thread has run its course and bumping it is pointless. Those who want to claim and bully others into thinking that the Moors were EXCLUSIVELY a black race are not going to undo the evidence represented that they are not, so what exactly it the point?

Let's lock it.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Dutch painter Jan Mostaert's "Portrait of a Moor" painted in the 1520s.

The word "Moor" is derived from the Greek word Mauros which means Black, dark-skinned.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
The majority of the Moors were of African descent.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The majority of the Moors were of African descent.
African does not equal black, as we have demonstrated so many times.

North Africans are a mix of "African" haplogroups, and haplogroups from Eurasian who back-migrated, mostly in the stone ages. But even the "African: dos not equal "black." North Africa is not tropical, but on a similar latitude to the Middle east, so everyone living there for millennia evolved to look like Middle easterners, regardless of genetics.

It is astonishing how many of these cultural theft threads come up... black Egyptians, black moors, black Jews, black Greeks, black Mexicans, black Cleopatra, black Hannibal...why not just talk about people who actually were black?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 AM

43 posts, read 48,307 times
Negative. The Moors were and are just dark skinned North Africans. Steer far away from these delusional black groups( Moorish Americans, Wa****aw, Yamassee)calling themselves Moors and are not, they just try to spread Afrocentric lies. The fact is these Moorish people carry different features from very dark to very light. Afrocentrics live in a fantasy world making it seem that EVERY dark skinned individuals are black. However, that is not the case they are just going by that one drop rule nonsense which is not even legit but started by Eurocentrics themselves. I would encourage these pro black folks to learn the etymology of the word they are using. No the Moors were not black even the terms Moros, Mauros, Moro, Moreno, etc is defined as being dark not black.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
African does not equal black, as we have demonstrated so many times.

North Africans are a mix of "African" haplogroups, and haplogroups from Eurasian who back-migrated, mostly in the stone ages. But even the "African: dos not equal "black." North Africa is not tropical, but on a similar latitude to the Middle east, so everyone living there for millennia evolved to look like Middle easterners, regardless of genetics.

It is astonishing how many of these cultural theft threads come up... black Egyptians, black moors, black Jews, black Greeks, black Mexicans, black Cleopatra, black Hannibal...why not just talk about people who actually were black?
EXACTLY!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm2013 View Post
I'm a Moore. For years I would always think to myself, what does my last name mean? I never could understand why this young white girl, same age as me has the same last name as I but looks completely opposite from me. Once I finally made the decision to pursue college (considering I wasn't the "college type") I found myself (but not to this extent). In 2013 my dad told me he had a documentary he wanted me to watch. I watched it and I was impressed but had lots of questions. Still to this day I do. I was talking to a friend of mines about the mors and what I thought they were. She told me that I was wrong about my knowledge of them and that they were Muslims who invaded the British. She also mentioned that it's a slave name that was given to us. I really couldn't debate and go deeper with her because I didnt have any reliable resources to where I could be as confident as her. She's highly educated, extremely smart, older and someone I look up too. She's also from Trinidad. At the end of our conversation she told me that I made some good valid points and she did as well. That conversation has pushed me to do this. Im so not the social media type or quick to just be as open like this at all. I really pushed myself to do this because I want to weigh my options on what appears to be more factual. Now that I'm at the end I see the topic review. Are these the references?
Moor is not even a tribal name just a description. Those tribes in Africa were not even tribally classified as Moors it was foreigners who labeled them as such. Same as how Eurocentrics branded negroes as blacks later on. Moor was not a name given of honor but a misnomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History