Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 01:26 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansamusa View Post
Well based on the fact that you mock the idea of blacks in North Africa, the criticism aptly applies to you. You claimed that the indigenous inhabitants of North Africa, the Berbers are absolutely not black and could even be considered white. There are indigenous Black Berbers in every modern North African country: The Berber of the Siwa Oasis in Egypt, the Tuareg of Libya etc. But you claim absurdly that Berbers are absolutely not black.

I hate it when posters believe that being white makes them an authority on African history, when they speak from such positions of misinformation and outright ignorance.
I hate when posters obnoxiously and annoyingly always define others as "racist" just because they say something different.
As someone with Berber ancestry and who knows Berbers personally, I can assure (and anybody on the planet who hasn't an agenda can) you that Berbers are indigenously white/olive-skinned as you prefer.
Now, you can fool yourself into splitting hairs and saying that since some Black people have lived there (obvious) then all Moors were Black.
It's like saying that since some white must have indeed lived in China, then Chinese might have been "white" (then of course, nobody knows how, they all disappeared like Moors in Morocco).
And again, just consult whatever ancient greek dictionary and you won't find that word (by the way "mauron" is in the wrong termination as it should -os due to nominative case).
As you clearly have never studied Ancient Greek nor Latin, I don't think you can define someone "ignorant".

Old 07-19-2015, 01:52 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I hate when posters obnoxiously and annoyingly always define others as "racist" just because they say something different.
As someone with Berber ancestry and who knows Berbers personally, I can assure (and anybody on the planet who hasn't an agenda can) you that Berbers are indigenously white/olive-skinned as you prefer.
Now, you can fool yourself into splitting hairs and saying that since some Black people have lived there (obvious) then all Moors were Black.
It's like saying that since some white must have indeed lived in China, then Chinese might have been "white" (then of course, nobody knows how, they all disappeared like Moors in Morocco).
And again, just consult whatever ancient greek dictionary and you won't find that word (by the way "mauron" is in the wrong termination as it should -os due to nominative case).
As you clearly have never studied Ancient Greek nor Latin, I don't think you can define someone "ignorant".
What part of North Africa? I'm guessing Kabyle ancestry.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 AM

17 posts, read 26,635 times
Quote:
I don't care very much for your Berber ancestry or your Berber friends. You claimed that Berbers are absolutely not black and can even be considered as white. It is ridiculously obvious that this is a lie. Every country in North Africa has populations of black Berbers. Here is a picture from the Festival of the Sahara, a Berber Festival, i mentioned earlier involving Berbers from all over the Sahara:

My statement about Moors being black is based on the fact that Ancient Greeks, Ancient Romans, Medieval Arabs and Medieval Europeans all identify them as such in either historical records or popular literature. I just don't see how you having Berber ancestry and Berber friends is evidence that Berbers are some sort of weird and wonderful indigenous white Africans. The word Berber in the modern context is used to describe a language, an indigenous African language. This language is spoken by Africans who range in complexion from very white to the blackest of Afrticans, who live in places as far apart as Morocco, Libya, Algeria, the Siwa Oasis in Egypt and Mali. Denying the existence of Black Berbers is simply delusional. The word Berber from a historical context has been used by the ancient Romans to describe not just North Africans but other African people such as those who live on the Somalia coast. Up to this day there is a coastal city on the Somalia coast called Berbera: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berbera#cite_note-5 So it makes no sense to become emotional and claim that word Berber as something unique to light skin Berber speaking North Africans that you are familiar with or so you claim.

Quote:
Look you cannot convince me of your expertise on anything. You have proven your ability to misrepresent facts, by denying the existence of black Berbers. If you wish to prove your etymology of Moor is correct, cite the source.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 26,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There are some but they are mixed they are outnumbered by brown skinned and light skinned Berbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aHk6rsX8
There are Berbers as black as the blackest of Africans:
It doesn't matter if they are the majority or not. This has no bearing on whether or not the vast majority of the ancient inhabitants of North Africa were black. All the historical records seem to suggest that this is exactly what they were: predominantly black.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 AM
AFP

Quote:
There are Berbers as black as the blackest of Africans:
It doesn't matter if they are the majority or not. This has no bearing on whether or not the vast majority of the ancient inhabitants of North Africa were black. All the historical records seem to suggest that this is exactly what they were: predominantly black.
TUAREG aren't the Moors dream on in your delusional fantasy. Some of them however are descendants of the Sanhaja who had origins in the Rif mountains. The connection between the Tuareg and the Moors would be akin to the Peruvians and the ancient Romans.

You posted pics of a subgroup of Berbers known as Tuareg. They are mixed those populations have been studied. The pics are probably of people that are 75% black 25% North African. They likely descended from Sub-Saharan maternal African lineages and equal amounts of North African and Sub-Saharan African paternal lineages. The Tuareg are primarily found in the interior far from Morocco, see map. A tiny minority of 4,500 lived within the Borders of Morocco per a census conducted in 1984. I'm guessing you really want very badly for the Moors to be somehow connected to the Tuareg. LoL. The Tuareg still practice slavery they aren't nice people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg...uareg_area.png

You will notice some variation among different Tuareg populations but E1b1a is considered to have origins in Sub-Saharan Africa E-M81 is most frequent in North African Berbers.

Y-chromosome DNA[edit]
Y-Dna haplogroups, passed on exclusively through the paternal line, were found at the following frequencies in Tuaregs: The table below found on this link under genetics much easier to view on link.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

Population Nb A/B E1b1a E-M35 E-M78 E-M81 E-M123 F K-M9 G I J1 J2 R1a R1b Other Study
1 Tuaregs from Libya 47 0 42.5% 0 0 48.9% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.4% 2.1% Ottoni et al. (2011)[53]
2 Tuaregs from Mali 11 0 9.1% 0 9.1% 81.8% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Pereira et al. (2011)[54]
3 Tuaregs from Burkina Faso 18 0 16.7% 0 0 77.8% 0 0 5.6% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Pereira et al. (2011)
4 Tuaregs from Niger 18 5.6% 44.4% 0 5.6% 11.1% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 33.3% 0 Pereira et al. (2011)

If you want to look at populations that likely share DNA with the ancient Moors you should look much further north at least in the country of Morocco.

These are the DNA results of two Riffian, Moroccans found on a public forum. The DNA test results are from a commercially available test called myorigins and measures autosomal DNA which is what was passed on to them from all of their ancestors. Do you have any questions? The Moors were a diverse people primarily of Iberian, Middle Eastern, North African origins, and yes a minor Sub-Saharan African component much more similar to the Riffians than the Tuareg.

Sample 1#

43% North Africa
5% Asia Minor
3% Eastern Middle East
27% Southern Europe
11% Jewish Diaspora
7% East Central Africa
3% West Africa

Sample 2#

North Africa 44%
Eastern Middle East 15%
Southern Europe 35%
East Central Africa 6%

Last edited by AFP; 07-20-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
The quote I gave referencing the etymology of the word Moor implies clearly that the part of Africa referred to as Mauritania were inhabited by blacks. The inhabitants of that regiuon were so black that they and their country was named after their complexion. I don't see how reminding us that modern day Mauritania is not the same as ancient Mauretania changes that. The idea that blacks never inhabited Morocco and Algeria is quite something. Here is the quote again:
I would rather take the word of an academic source over yours. Even google translate translates the word Μαύρος into black. So You seem to be either misinformed or just plain full of it.
Well, this is Roman Mauretania:

As you can see it encompasses modern Morocco and a large swath of current northern Algeria, right?
Now, "moor" is the English equivalent of the term "moro" present in all Romance languages (in Italian it is "moro").
The term is related to "Maurus" which means an inhabitant of "MAURetania", from this word it came out "Morus" which the medieval latin corruption of "maurus".
There's no Ancient Greek equivalent, "mauros" is a modern Greek term for Black, otherwise every single Ancient Greek dictionary will tell you this.
Isidore of Seville included the term "mauron" as if Latin "maurus" derives from that, but it's not.
Isidore was writing in the 7th century, the Greek to which he referred was far different from Ancient Greek.
Now, while we can agree that indeed there Black berbers, people inhabiting the region of Mauretania (the one above-linked) are largely and predominantly light-skinned, call them olive-skinned, swarthy, as you prefer.
In fact, "moor" in Romance language nowadays does NOT mean "Black", it means a darker complexion similar to that a tanned person or, at least in Italian, even someone with Black hair.
Nobody would use "moor" (in Italian "moro") to describe a Black (which technically means nothing, but here we mean a person with predominantly sub-saharan traits).
Now, to suggest that inhabitants of Roman Mauretania (alias, modern Morocco and North-western Algeria) were largely and predominantly Black (that means with sub-saharan traits) and that, "magically" they vanished is quite ludicrous isn't it?
If inhabitants of Roman Mauretania were all Black, how it comes that nowadays the population of both the region and Spain (an area settled by them for 700 years) is nowhere Black?
I mean, were they all killed and "white-washed" by evil whites?
I don't think so.
The point is not whether Black berbers exist, they do (and I expressed myself badly previously), the point is that they never were the majority of such ethnic group.

Quote:
Moor cannot mean an Islamic Berber since the word was used before the birth of Islam. And several centuries after the birth of Islam, the word Moor was used to describe non-Islamic blacks. There is a Berber festival held in Douz, Tunisia every year called the Festival of the Sahara. At least 60% of the people based on the pics seem to be black. The idea that Black Berbers donot exist is more delusional than anything else.
Berbers aren't defined by their Islamic faith, Berbers are some of the oldest inhabitants of Northern Africa, I'll quote Wiki to sum up my point:
Quote:
Mauri (from which the English term "Moors") was the Latin designation for the population of Mauretania, the part of Africa west of Numidia, corresponding roughly to the territory of modern Morocco. Mauri (Μαῦροι) is recorded by Strabo, who wrote in the early 1st century, as the native name, which was also adopted into Latin, while he cites the Greek name for the same people as Maurusii (Μαυρούσιοι).
[...] By the early Christian era, the byname Mauritius identified anyone originating in Africa (the Maghreb), roughly corresponding to Berber populations.
[...]The Chronicle of 754 still mentions Mauri but by the High Middle Ages the endonym seems to have disappeared, while Christian sources begin to apply the term Mauri, Moors to the Islamic populations of the Maghreb and Andalusia in general.
Μαῦροι is read in "Mauroi" and it does NOT mean "Black", there's no connection whatsoever because the term "Mauros" did NOT exist in Ancient Greek.
Isidore makes reference to the Greek spoken around his age which was far far different from the Greek spoken when "Maurus" was coined as a term.
The term "Moor" then was used as reference to Islamic North Africans but it was used as a poor broad term to describe all populaces of North Africa: this means both Arabs and Berbers.
I don't honestly understand all these attempts to define all Moors inclusively as a "Black" when:
a) Such a definition does NOT exist in any field: it doesn't mean anything in history, linguistics, genetics, nothing.
b) Black is a loose term for a multitude of different ethnicities: it's a stupid term which doesn't mean anything.
A Fulani from West Africa has nothing in common with a Khoisan in South-Africa and a Bantu has nothing to do with a Masai from Kenya.
c) It's stupid because it tries to suggest that the strength and power of the Caliphate of El-Andalus is somehow tied to race as to suggest that all credits are only because of Blacks, when it's largely recognised that the culture behind El Andalus was Arabic in all its forms.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Geezus, 220 posts and you guys haven't resolved this yet?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Geezus, 220 posts and you guys haven't resolved this yet?
Ya know I think some people are irrevocably damaged goods.

They are complete and utter failures in life and subsist by trying to mooch and leech and steal from others.

And quite frankly from the top to the bottom, why are Americans so obsessed with intervening and interjecting themselves into other people's regions.

These same fools scratch their heads about why there is such a strong anti-Americanism in the world.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:40 PM
AFP

Rif Moroccans speak Amazigh. These are likely the modern day ethnic in Morocco closest genetically to the historical Moors. They don't look anything like the Hollywood version of Berbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDH21QZ180

Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Rif Moroccans speak Amazigh. These are likely the modern day ethnic in Morocco closest genetically to the historical Moors. They don't look anything like the Hollywood version of Berbers.
So Berbers are Puerto Rican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History