Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 PM

144 posts, read 189,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I’m not impressed. The first slide on Imperial Place depicts a densely built, active streetscape, which is what I thought was the idea for the arts district. But the actual conceptual plan has more land dedicated for surface parking than for buildings. That’s not what most city centers that are redeveloping are going for and minimizing surface parking downtown has been a goal of downtown for several years. Evidently no developer is willing to invest the money it would cost to build an appropriately sized parking deck. An Aloft or similar hotel on Dickinson would be nice, but not without a parking deck.

Edit: I didn’t realize there were previous comments about surface parking lots, but I definitely agree. This looks like the typical suburban sprawl model, not a design for an inner city.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 10-08-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I’m not impressed. The first slide on Imperial Place depicts a densely built, active streetscape, which is what I thought was the idea for the arts district. But the actual conceptual plan has more land dedicated for surface parking than for buildings. That’s not what most city centers that are redeveloping are going for and minimizing surface parking downtown has been a goal of downtown for several years. Evidently no developer is willing to invest the money it would cost to build an appropriately sized parking deck. An Aloft or similar hotel on Dickinson would be nice, but not without a parking deck.

Edit: I didn’t realize there were previous comments about surface parking lots, but I definitely agree. This looks like the typical suburban sprawl model, not a design for an inner city.
Agreed, this should go back to the drawing boards. The City of Greenville has been requested by the developer to put a few million dollars into the project, and therefore affordable housing should be part of the plan. I would recommend they largely scale back the surface parking, and the City of Greenville will increase their investment by building a deck but with the requirement of affordable housing on site. The project overall seems severely lacking in green space, and out-of-date with current standards of site planning.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
The impressive thing is the hotel. Having that in as phase 1 is important.The plaza is very nice & needed, IMO. I hope they scratch the parking spaces, and just leave it as an open plaza . The lots are plentiful, but the vast majority of parking is facing the railroad tracks. I think it would be better if they would have configured it so that there's more "apartment" facing clark street & bonners lane. But there looks like land that's available that isn't part of the development. There's potential there.

Also, keep in mind there is development all around clark street already, and I don't see most of it staying the same over the next couple of years. A future hotel will lead to more development in the immediate area, IMO. The crossfit place and other buildings along clark street (Blick Law) wont be there for long. I think a developer will come in and grab some of this land bordering this development and create a more dense concept in the area.

Something could change in Phase 2. in 2021 when the hotel is done, there may be a different demand and more of a dense setup can be had.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 PM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
This is 70% parking lot. Jim, if you're active on here, you should be ashamed of this plan. Absolutely pathetic attempt at walkable downtown urbanism.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I believe the article mentioned that they could not find a tenant for office space at this time. That is likely happening later so they would move forward with the hotel and residential. I think the surface lots are temporary in this case and can be developed later.

And keep in mind its the CITY that needs to build a deck in this area, not the developer...for all of Dickinson. If they are not ready to build their deck, then you need to have surface lots for the two new projects.

Im on board with this, because it delivers the #1 need of downtown Greenville...a Hotel.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Vidant and the Brody School of Medicine have reached an agreement.

https://wcti12.com/news/local/agreem...ol-of-medicine

Old 10-09-2019, 11:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Vidant and the Brody School of Medicine have reached an agreement.
My takeaway from this is that in reality, there are no major changes to what they had prior to all of this mess. What was the point of Pitt County starting this?

Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
  1. Ithaca, NY
  2. Manhattan, KS
  3. Ames, IA
  4. Fairbanks, AK
  5. Corvallis, OR
  6. Lawrence, KS
  7. College Station, TX
  8. Champaign, IL
  9. Greenville, NC
  10. Gainesville, FL

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2019 at 02:16 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Excellent news, I wish them the best of luck! It would be wise to hire a disabled person to work in this department. People who are disabled do not feel comfortable (and sometime left out all together) using our infrastructure in Greenville (including at ECU) because it’s all designed by able bodied people who lack their perspective.

City taps Kirby to head new engineering department - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina