Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times

Advertisements

Um, Ayden has almost 5k and Winterville 10k people... they are both much larger than 2k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 02:30 PM

217 posts, read 236,001 times
@GarnetAndBlack very true--the point nonetheless holds. I don't have the papers in front of me at the moment (at an airport as per usual).

Economic impacts from bypass projects are, at best, a wash, and the impacts are increasingly mixed the smaller the urban environment. There are economic improvements along the corridor where other factors are present, factors that are largely geographic and which we don't have. These factors are often cancelled out by (a) opportunity cost of local dollars spent on other economic development projects in a fiscally constrained environment, (b) economic loss as business is drawn away from existing corridors.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just saying that we should temper our expectations that this project will bring positive economic impacts. You trade six of one for half dozen of the other.

@Richard Martin I see what you're saying in re: the roundabout. I'm going to guess there's future forecasting for the development of that area.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:26 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
The "Greenville SW bypass" is necessary for a variety of reasons...

The reality is that:

1) This GREATLY improves regional mobility in the Greenville region.
2) It increases capacity for all of the additional vehicles this region has added in the past 30-40 years.
3) It removes truck and through traffic from Memorial Dr, a road that has long been over capacity.
4) It saves a ton of time for traffic in #3

The fact that it is bypassing Winterville and Ayden is for Winterville and Ayden to discuss...and it was through a Public Hearing process. I'm not a fan of building further out to encourage sprawl, which this obviously did, but NC DOT has time and time again taken the easier, cheaper options when it builds roads like this. But always remember this is a Greenville bypass and in my opinion, there was no discussion of whether this was needed or not for Greenville.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:57 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
I don't recall Ayden having any objections when they and Greenville and Kinston were cooking up the Quad East idea back in early 2013.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there will be a renewed push for making NC-11/US-13 a future interstate once the bypass opens. There's been practically zero mention of it ever since the ENC Gateway Act didn't get anywhere in Congress shortly before the 2016 elections...

Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 AM

Council weigh property purchase to build new park - Daily Reflector

Old 09-09-2019, 08:16 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
^ Is this the area that use to be the Big Splash driving range back in the early 90s or the other side of the road?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ Is this the area that use to be the Big Splash driving range back in the early 90s or the other side of the road?
I believe that it is. Is this the same "park" that had been floated for the Dave Mirra memorial action park? These two "large" lakes on either side of Greenville Blvd could be utilized wonderfully with proper access to the river. What is clearance under the Gville Blvd bridge like?

Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM

217 posts, read 236,001 times
This is not the same park for the action sports complex, but it is adjacent to River Park North. If they develop a trails system through all of the city-owned property at RPN, then along with this acquisition it would create an uninterrupted public park between the Greene St. Bridge and Greenville Blvd.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Presentation from NCDOT at tonight's city council meeting:

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=19004

Mostly bad news. But at least the I-587 upgrade is on schedule.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Presentation from NCDOT at tonight's city council meeting:

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=19004

Mostly bad news. But at least the I-587 upgrade is on schedule.
Roadwork delays distress City Council - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina