Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM

144 posts, read 189,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I know the One Stop building was put on hold but I hope it can be rekindled sooner than later... If the runiversity can continue to course correct and build momentum the funding could return. That project coupled with this hotel would be great for that corner of Uptown.
I agree. I hope the one stop building will be built at some point. It would another draw for a downtown hotel along with the Alumni Center and a Performing Arts Center that have been mentioned again recently for Reade Street. Those mentions did not include the one stop building. In fact, there has been no mention of it since it was put on hold and it’s not mentioned in the Capital Projects section from the Finance and Facilities information from the recent BOT meeting, even though the Mendenhall renovation is included but listed as “on hold”. This doesn’t seem very hopeful for the one stop building ever being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM

217 posts, read 235,938 times
It will be built, but as mentioned it's a question of funding and timeline. major projects don't disappear without great political sh*t-housery (see the Durham-Orange Light Rail Project, sadly). University completed demo work on the parcel where the One-Stop was intended. Campus needs centralized administration--it's a modern feature of well-run universities.

Don't know how big a draw it would be for hotels, etc., but it will increase foot traffic and density, and decrease the psychological factor of "perceived emptiness/blight" east of Evans. That's a win for downtown if we're not going to collect tax revenues from ECU.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:51 AM

217 posts, read 235,938 times
Updates on Construction discussed at Thursday’s BOT meeting

Not sure if this was already posted, but it showed in my feed. Some updates as to campus construction, including Mendenhall renovation and Innovation Hub relocation (that now requires BOG approval).

Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Updates on Construction discussed at Thursday’s BOT meeting

Not sure if this was already posted, but it showed in my feed. Some updates as to campus construction, including Mendenhall renovation and Innovation Hub relocation (that now requires BOG approval).
I have some experience with this. I believe most if not all capital projects require BOG approval. I was hoping to build a shelter on a NCSU owned farm a few years ago that was only going to cost $30,000-$35,000 that would have required BOG approval.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
It will be built, but as mentioned it's a question of funding and timeline. major projects don't disappear without great political sh*t-housery (see the Durham-Orange Light Rail Project, sadly). University completed demo work on the parcel where the One-Stop was intended. Campus needs centralized administration--it's a modern feature of well-run universities.

Don't know how big a draw it would be for hotels, etc., but it will increase foot traffic and density, and decrease the psychological factor of "perceived emptiness/blight" east of Evans. That's a win for downtown if we're not going to collect tax revenues from ECU.
ECU had planned to build a new dance studio on Tenth Street that was never built. The renderings are in the archived Finance and Facilities Committee meeting documents for the April 25, 2014 BOT meeting.

The one stop shop building was going to house all the student services functions, so at least during parts of the year when parents are helping their kids figure out financial aid and other issues related to applying and enrolling in school a hotel across the street would probably draw additional guests. It would absolutely help increase density and foot traffic as well. All things that would be great improvements to downtown.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM

The news about the ECU’s plan to build a hotel downtown through a public private partnership is interesting in that App State is using a P3 to replace seven residence halls, add a parking deck, and build a new field house for football. I believe they are building three new dorms, the parking deck, and the field house all at once. P3s are allowed on areas designated as millennial campuses. All that said, does this mean ECU could also be working on P3 agreements with private developers to speed up the development of Reade Street with possible new buildings for Performing Arts and an Alumni Center? Those two new venues in close proximity to the new hotel would certainly be attractive to the hotel franchise involved.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 PM

59 posts, read 41,978 times
Dollar Tree apparently closed and is relocating to the former Rite Aid. I apologize if this has been posted already. I think that whole Harris teeter shopping center should be demolished completely and rebuilt as a mixed-use development building or whatever. Or a new student center! lol

Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
ECU had planned to build a new dance studio on Tenth Street that was never built. The renderings are in the archived Finance and Facilities Committee meeting documents for the April 25, 2014 BOT meeting.

The one stop shop building was going to house all the student services functions, so at least during parts of the year when parents are helping their kids figure out financial aid and other issues related to applying and enrolling in school a hotel across the street would probably draw additional guests. It would absolutely help increase density and foot traffic as well. All things that would be great improvements to downtown.
I believe the One Stop Building was also supposed to be the location of Heritage Hall, which having an Alumni Hotel across the street would give guests easy walkable access to the Museum.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:41 PM

59 posts, read 41,978 times
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Gr...560877191.html

Quote:
GREENVILLE, NC (WITN) - Another busy street in one Eastern Carolina city will be closed next week.

Greenville says Hooker Road, just north of the Arlington Boulevard intersection, will be shut down to all traffic starting as early as Monday.

The city says the street will remain closed for two to four days for the construction work.

Already, westbound traffic in front of J.H. Rose High School has been closed for a major retrofit of Arlington Boulevard.

When Hooker Road is closed, those on Arlington heading east will still be able to go through the Hooker Road intersection, but will not be able to turn left onto Hooker.

Those heading north on Hooker will only be able to make a right turn onto Arlington.

The city says high school traffic coming south on Hooker Road will have to use Marvin Jarman Road to get to the school.
I hate this crap... this would cause even MORE headaches.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolbs17 View Post
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Gr...560877191.html I hate this crap... this would cause even MORE headaches.
Growing pains. Get used to it. There is a whole pile of work that is going to occur in Greenville over the coming decade.

Those who get to live long enough will see major changes decades down the road. The Northern Bypass still needs to be extended. It will connect to the planned Southeastern Bypass just east of Simpson and continue to Ayden. At some point Firetower will probably be extended to the Southwestern Bypass. Adding lanes to Greenville Blvd is being studied and the city/state will eventually have to add lanes to Arlington. Pitt-Greenville airport will eventually need to be expanded. Charles Blvd. between Greenville Blvd. and Firetower Rd. is currently being looked at to possibly put a divided median in to control access. I'm actually looking for the last project to happen sooner rather then later.

Drivers are going to go a little bonkers when they see what the state is going to do to the Arlington Blvd.-Firetower Rd. and Charles Blvd.-Firetower Rd intersections. There will be NO LEFT TURNS allowed from any direction at both intersections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hza5TTcCW1c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina