Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times

Advertisements

In the last 15 years the only new miles of lane that the state has built in Greenville have been Firetower Road and Farmville Blvd (doesn't help with traffic). The population of Greenville has increased significantly in that time. I consider the setback a big ********* to Greenville. The truth is that these projects are already being pushed back 4 years. What happens if we see a recession in that time? I'm 61 years old now. I may not live to see any of these projects completed.

The Southwest Bypass is not in Greenville and I have serious doubts as to how much it will actually decrease Memorial Drive traffic. I believe it will be underutilized much like the Greenville northern bypass is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
In the last 15 years the only new miles of lane that the state has built in Greenville have been Firetower Road and Farmville Blvd (doesn't help with traffic). The population of Greenville has increased significantly in that time. I consider the setback a big ********* to Greenville. The truth is that these projects are already being pushed back 4 years. What happens if we see a recession in that time? I'm 61 years old now. I may not live to see any of these projects completed.

The Southwest Bypass is not in Greenville and I have serious doubts as to how much it will actually decrease Memorial Drive traffic. I believe it will be underutilized much like the Greenville northern bypass is.
Completely agree...however the Southwest bypass will actually make the northern bypass more utilized. Its really a regional road, and will take some traffic off Memorial that has no reason to be there. It will turn into a Greenville Rd if they extend Firetower to it...allowing traffic going out of town to get there faster. But thats obviously pushed back now to.

Every community is having to swallow this pill, but I do think the City should help push things along with a road bond.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:19 PM

217 posts, read 236,036 times
Plenty of proof out there that new road construction doesn't improve traffic flow.

Bonds for infrastructure would be a fantastic idea. Special district for the Dickinson Ave. corridor downtown could also fund improvements through tax-increment financing. UNC SOG has a ton of literature on municipal finance options in situations like these. With linear-mile constructions costs well over 1M though, financing all through bonds/other instruments is definitely not an option our current council/administration is likely to pursue.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Thermo Fisher Scientific unveils new training facility - Daily Reflector

Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 3,378 times
Hi All. Recently I have a opportunity to relocated to the Greenville area. I am from Long Island, NY. Extended family moved down to Matthews NC about 10 years ago and my family loves it down here and have been trying to relocate. So back to Greenville and the need to make a decision.

Family of 4, Adults early 40's, 2 boys 8 & 12. What areas in and around Greenville are good. Looking for good schools with services. We are from the suburbs but want some space between homes so 3/4acre or greater. Budget of $350-425k. Stores nearby. Youth sports particularly soccer. I would like to return to volunteering to be a firefighter.

What areas should I look at and what to be concerned about.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 AM

217 posts, read 236,036 times
Hey pyro--just want to check, since you mentioned Matthews and relocation. This is the forum for Greenville, NC, an hour and a half east of Raleigh, and not Greenville, SC, an hour and a half west-southwest of Matthews.

350k is gonna get you anything you want in Greenville, NC.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
You would also want to post those sorts of questions in the general Eastern North Carolina forum. This particular thread is for development news about Greenville, NC.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Ma...1.html?ref=951

$15 an hour at night? Am I reading that correctly?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Ma...1.html?ref=951

$15 an hour at night? Am I reading that correctly?
We'll feel better when they settle on $7 an hour.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
We'll feel better when they settle on $7 an hour.
Sheesh. I’m against encouraging cars in Uptown, but this would be foolish. I can’t see anyone being behind this plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina