Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 AM

192 posts, read 280,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
don't know if others saw this, but the head chef (lucas owens) of chef and the farmer is set to open a world-inspired restaurant called 'Native' on dickinson ave. i believe this is going into the old carolina inn/cafe on dickinson and 9th based on some chatter.

separately, instagram account @thenextbestthinggreenville shows renovations going on at 805 dickinson ave, next to the friendly boutique. very curious as to what that will be, as i know it's been looked at as a speakeasy/wine-jazz bar (among other things).
This sounds awesome! Any idea on when they are looking to do this or is it too soon to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
no clue. if i'm right about the location, it's gonna be a bit. i got to walk around in there not long ago and there's a lot of work that needs to be done to make it fit to be occupied. property owners uptown have not invested money in their buildings and it shows.

separate, but related: don't expect captain cone's to be around much longer. building is in terrible shape and it's driving up their expenses significantly.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Until just now I’ve never even heard of Captain Cone’s. How long has that been there?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Believe April. It was first the Toy Factory, but was shut down temporarily in the early spring for renovation and popped out with a new name. Great little toy store.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Work on 10th progresses; more changes coming downtown - Daily Reflector

Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Improved broadband and infrastructure are necessary to promote greater connectivity in order to increase business opportunities, Thomas said. He said that he has a goal to expand broadband transmission to all parts of the district and that he will advocate for improved infrastructure, such as better roads, deeper ports and more expansive railway services....[e]ducation and the workforce is a fourth area of concern. Thomas said that he is a strong proponent of vocational training and certification programs that could result in high-paying jobs for skilled workers and would provide more job opportunities.
Allen Thomas lays out campaign platform

Will be interesting to see how this resonates with voters. While I understand the deeper port argument he's advancing, I think it's a losing prospect long-term. Natural shoaling along the Crystal Coast will always fill in the channel--as a former resident of Gulf Coast Florida, I've watched a state get caught in the perpetual loop of shuffling sand back and forth. It's a tremendous black hole for public funds.

Now, improving port competitiveness? Great idea. Let's (1) drop fees to compete with similar east coast port authorities, and (2) get 87/587 under construction to decrease distance from the primary road network. That's what will bring freight into Morehead.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Medical school funding, Vidant discussed at trustees meeting - Daily Reflector

Old 07-13-2019, 06:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
ECU celebrates groundbreaking of new building

https://www.witn.com/content/news/EC...512663371.html

Old 07-13-2019, 07:30 AM

247 posts, read 445,123 times
Coming soon Kimbrell's Furniture Store. Moving in the former. TOYS R US building. www.kimbrells.com

Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Coming soon Kimbrell's Furniture Store. Moving in the former. TOYS R US building. www.kimbrells.com
I guess the Greenville Toys R Us building wasn’t part of the Big Lots deal. Big Lots made some kind of deal to take over several Toys R Us buildings not too long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina