Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 41,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Growing pains. Get used to it. There is a whole pile of work that is going to occur in Greenville over the coming decade.

Those who get to live long enough will see major changes decades down the road. The Northern Bypass still needs to be extended. It will connect to the planned Southeastern Bypass just east of Simpson and continue to Ayden. At some point Firetower will probably be extended to the Southwestern Bypass. Adding lanes to Greenville Blvd is being studied and the city/state will eventually have to add lanes to Arlington. Pitt-Greenville airport will eventually need to be expanded. Charles Blvd. between Greenville Blvd. and Firetower Rd. is currently being looked at to possibly put a divided median in to control access. I'm actually looking for the last project to happen sooner rather then later.

Drivers are going to go a little bonkers when they see what the state is going to do to the Arlington Blvd.-Firetower Rd. and Charles Blvd.-Firetower Rd intersections. There will be NO LEFT TURNS allowed from any direction at both intersections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hza5TTcCW1c
When I studied why they are using quadrants instead of double left turn lanes is because it would keep traffic moving faster. Even with double left turn lanes, it will still get congested even though it will help a little bit.

And for you talking about the Greenville Southeastern Bypass and Northern Bypass i'm sure it would help with traffic but i'm sure it's a long time from now.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...%208-23-17.pdf

For you talking about arlington blvd, i'm sure it can take another lane.

Greenville airport could take an expension and will need to go to more cities than just Charlotte. It should go to New York!

Firetower rd extension - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2006.pdf

Greenville Blvd widening - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2016.pdf

Find a project that can happen sooner than later. I would love to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:58 PM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
Arlington Blvd is entirely city-owned, so financing major realignments is going to be a huge challenge and adding a lane will require significant use of eminent domain (costly financially and politically, no one likes condemning private property). There's an Arlington corridor study out there, but it's going to be a challenge to execute on.

Airport--stay tuned. Was speaking with someone with an ear to the second airline--United--and that conversation is progressing. Would fly to DC. Lots to still account for, however.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:16 AM

26 posts, read 25,444 times
Hey, y'all. A bunch of questions and musings:

1) @bikepedguy and @BMore -- any news on Gotcha?

2) Has anyone heard anything serious about what will happen to the Harris Teeter site at 14th and Charles? I am completely dying for a grocery store in the central city -- actually, that Harris Teeter was a major factor in why we bought our house. Please, somebody tell me that we'll once again have groceries in a bikeable/walkable location.

3) On that note, just gonna float this idea out there: Publix would be a lot more accessible to the University and surrounding neighborhoods if you didn't have to go out on Greenville Blvd to get there. A big improvement would be to open a bike/ped entrance through the fence behind the Belk Building. I know that in the past people actually tore down the fence to make that happen -- and while I don't support destruction of property, that's an example of desire lines if I ever saw one. Has anybody raised this idea with ECU and/or the owners of the Publix shopping center (Greenville Square?)?

4) While I'm throwing out ideas for things I'd never do myself, y'know what this town needs? A really good bakery, on par with La Farm in Cary or Albemarle Baking Company in Charlottesville. If anybody knows a trained baker looking for a business opportunity, tell them about Greenville.

5) Ditto for a hardware store downtown -- I can't be the only one who hates Lowe's.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:42 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagi View Post
Hey, y'all. A bunch of questions and musings:

1) @bikepedguy and @BMore -- any news on Gotcha?

2) Has anyone heard anything serious about what will happen to the Harris Teeter site at 14th and Charles? I am completely dying for a grocery store in the central city -- actually, that Harris Teeter was a major factor in why we bought our house. Please, somebody tell me that we'll once again have groceries in a bikeable/walkable location.

3) On that note, just gonna float this idea out there: Publix would be a lot more accessible to the University and surrounding neighborhoods if you didn't have to go out on Greenville Blvd to get there. A big improvement would be to open a bike/ped entrance through the fence behind the Belk Building. I know that in the past people actually tore down the fence to make that happen -- and while I don't support destruction of property, that's an example of desire lines if I ever saw one. Has anybody raised this idea with ECU and/or the owners of the Publix shopping center (Greenville Square?)?

4) While I'm throwing out ideas for things I'd never do myself, y'know what this town needs? A really good bakery, on par with La Farm in Cary or Albemarle Baking Company in Charlottesville. If anybody knows a trained baker looking for a business opportunity, tell them about Greenville.

5) Ditto for a hardware store downtown -- I can't be the only one who hates Lowe's.
1.) Gotcha is arriving next month, allegedly. Fingers crossed.

2.) I’ve heard a rumor that another Harris Teeter is proposed somewhere along 10th St along near Millennium Campus. Again, just a rumor at this point though so I’m not sure how much validity it carries.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:33 PM

26 posts, read 25,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
1.) Gotcha is arriving next month, allegedly. Fingers crossed.

2.) I’ve heard a rumor that another Harris Teeter is proposed somewhere along 10th St along near Millennium Campus. Again, just a rumor at this point though so I’m not sure how much validity it carries.
Rad, on both counts!

Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Quote:

Not sure what kind of bakery you're looking for but Great Harvest Bread Company on Evans Street is pretty damn good.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:42 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Hooker Road closed at Arlington - Daily Reflector

Old 09-23-2019, 04:47 PM

217 posts, read 235,829 times
(1) Gotcha should arrive next month. Issues have been on the supply side but should be resolving in the near future. Raleigh launch this week is a clue as to how things are speeding up.

(2) Unsure of the HT along 10th, but I have it on very good authority that Publix and HT are both looking for locations close to Winterville downtown. High median household income there is very attractive.

(3) RE: a bike/ped entrance: agreed wholeheartedly. Two options for this: rear entrance (as you identified), or off of a future Charles Blvd shared-use path. City is examining including 10'-12' shared use paths along major arteries in lieu of bike lanes (city sees this as satisfying sidewalk/bike lane issues and getting to claim greenway system expansion). Charles Blvd realignment plans tentatively include this path.

(4) Great Harvest is fantastic.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 6,742 times
I believe Harris teeter owns land by freds club in Winterville

Old 09-24-2019, 04:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill27837 View Post
I believe Harris teeter owns land by freds club in Winterville
OPIS only shows Harris Teeter owning the land that their gas station in on at Arlington and Firetower. The majority of the vacant land on the north side of Beacon Dr. is owned by a Greenville company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina