Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM

217 posts, read 236,036 times

Advertisements

Unless the lane width is reduced it doesn't matter what they reduce the speed limit to--people will continue to drive at the rates they are now unless police are out in force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Final section of Arlington rehab beginning next week - Daily Reflector

Old 10-16-2019, 01:29 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
It's a shame that they couldn't have actually done something to improve traffic there. One relatively easy thing would have been to completely close off the school parking entrance on Arlington and prevent left hands turns onto Arlington in that block.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 10-16-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's a shame that they couldn't have actually done something to improve traffic there. One relatively easy thing would have been to completely close off the school parking entrance on Arlington and prevent left hands turns onto Arlington in that block.
Let me assure you, if the city could have, they would. Our planners (when they get the opportunity to realign) are trying to eliminate the free left-turn (death to the suicide lane) where they can.

As always, the question for medianization and any projects that aren't street resurfacing come down to "who's going to pay for it"--and in the case of Arlington, entirely city-owned, that's going to fall almost entirely on the city. With our capital budget, that's going to be a difficult task.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
are trying to eliminate the free left-turn (death to the suicide lane) where they can.
I've never gotten used to that free left turn thing that people here do so often. I've lived here for 13.5 years and I can only remember doing it once myself. I've had people try to merge out into the side of my car. I am not a big fan of the free left turn.

I'd like to see passing on the right legalized here too. We had it in Maryland. You were allowed to pass a stopped vehicle (ie: making a left turn) on the right if there was pavement to do so. I hate to see 20 cars lined up behind someone that is making a left turn and there is 10 feet of road that they could go around the stopped car.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:20 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Quote:
[CENTER] [CENTER][CENTER]Phase 2 of Arlington Boulevard Rehabilitation Project postponed to Spring 2020[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER] GREENVILLE, N.C. - After conversations with the project contractor and the local Arlington Boulevard businesses impacted by the project, the City is moving the construction period for Phase 2 of the Arlington Boulevard Rehabilitation Project to the Spring of 2020.

With the holiday season and colder weather quickly approaching, the City and the contractor agreed that the change will have the least impact on the local community while also providing the highest quality road improvement.

Construction related to Phase 2 was scheduled to begin next week between Evans Street and Greenville Boulevard. It is now scheduled to begin in March of 2020. With its postponement, traffic flow in that area will be unaffected by construction until the spring.

Work is nearing completion on Phase 1 of the project between Evans Street and Hooker Road. That section of Arlington Boulevard has been upgraded with new roadway cross sections, 0.6 miles of a greenway trail, 2,300 feet of new storm water infrastructure and new water mains. Additional roadway improvements at the existing railroad tracks are also scheduled for Phase 1. It is anticipated that these will be performed with lane closures.

[/CENTER]

Probably a good idea.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:23 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
N.C. 43 improvements to begin in 2024 - Daily Reflector

Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Probably a good idea.
Definitely a good idea.

And, for a higher-level view, the fact that the business and general public has been SO MAD about Arlington is a natural byproduct of not having sufficient east-west thoroughfares in the city. I'm rarely the one to advocate for new road construction, but we desperately need another alternative between Arlington and Greenville Blvd.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
but we desperately need another alternative between Arlington and Greenville Blvd.
My current favored route is straight up Charles and then turn left onto West 10th. I haven't timed it but I think I can get from the southeast side of Greenville to the hospital district in about 20-25 minutes. At a low traffic time (after 8 pm or after 9 am) I can do it in 15-20 minutes if the traffic lights are in my favor.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:40 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
My current favored route is straight up Charles and then turn left onto West 10th. I haven't timed it but I think I can get from the southeast side of Greenville to the hospital district in about 20-25 minutes. At a low traffic time (after 8 pm or after 9 am) I can do it in 15-20 minutes if the traffic lights are in my favor.
Yep, the new bridge saves a ton of time. Get to 10th and go west...do it from 14th, Charles, 10th itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina