Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2024, 08:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,566,574 times

Advertisements

Study examining First Street redevelopment is underway

https://share.newsbreak.com/6i01ibey

Quote:
A study is underway to examine how a downtown corridor that is a stronghold of government-owned land can be transformed into a riverfront destination.

Pitt County officials, who are working to consolidate county operations that are spread throughout the community, say the plan is a needed step to accomplish that goal and return government land along First Street back to the county tax rolls.
Finally a study I can get behind. Consolidate a lot of the county and city buildings along 1st street. A public / private partnership helps ECU consolidate some of the buildings in their downtown land.

Find a way to get a performing arts center and another hotel in that area. Add in a revitalized Town commons with new amphitheatre and I think there's real potential there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 11:37 AM

455 posts, read 534,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Study examining First Street redevelopment is underway

https://share.newsbreak.com/6i01ibey

Finally a study I can get behind. Consolidate a lot of the county and city buildings along 1st street. A public / private partnership helps ECU consolidate some of the buildings in their downtown land.

Find a way to get a performing arts center and another hotel in that area. Add in a revitalized Town commons with new amphitheatre and I think there's real potential there.
HECK YES! I have rattled this cage for a while now. While Dickison Ave is great, 1st Street should be THE focale point of development. It is or could be the crown jewel of the city center and honestly the city. Development and a street scape here coupled with the bulkhead rennovation would be wonderful.

Same with the consolidating of gov. owned property. Durham has done this and contributed to the skyline/development by building combine city/county office space.

I have often thought about whether or not we have a need for a new county court house. Then turn the existing one into a history museum.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:28 PM

3,089 posts, read 4,898,787 times
Kind of interesting you guys mentioned First St. Honestly, since First St place was built, I always felt that First St should have residential along the Town Common corridor, instead of the office/performing arts, ect...

I think a better amphitheater on the Town Common is a great idea. Look at the amphitheater on the river in Wilmington, its surrounded by residential because its also a park.

For me, push the commercial, entertainment, hotel, museum, performing arts toward ECU/Fifth St/Dickinson Ave and all the way to the 10th St Millennial Campus corridor.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:27 PM

7,196 posts, read 6,886,666 times
Another section of Dickinson Avenue will be closed for 3 months, beginning April 1.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...section-3.aspx

Old 03-28-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Kind of interesting you guys mentioned First St. Honestly, since First St place was built, I always felt that First St should have residential along the Town Common corridor, instead of the office/performing arts, ect...

I think a better amphitheater on the Town Common is a great idea. Look at the amphitheater on the river in Wilmington, its surrounded by residential because its also a park.

For me, push the commercial, entertainment, hotel, museum, performing arts toward ECU/Fifth St/Dickinson Ave and all the way to the 10th St Millennial Campus corridor.
I could certainly be convinced this way. Altough there is quite a bit of residential already in close proximity to the common. a more inviting street scape might help lure people to the common.

I would love to see 1st street carried across to Fairfax Ave in west Greenville to create some additional river frontage and connectivitely between residential and the city center.

Ultimately Town Common and the portion of first street there should be a unique element for the city. It needs to be a draw/resource/aminity that sells the city.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:51 AM

Rumors of Trader Joe's coming to the old Bed Bath and Beyond location on the ECU forum. Would love it to be true, mostly for my wife as she is a a huge fan!

Old 04-01-2024, 10:18 AM

1,811 posts, read 2,785,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Rumors of Trader Joe's coming to the old Bed Bath and Beyond location on the ECU forum. Would love it to be true, mostly for my wife as she is a a huge fan!

I don't care either way about TJ's, but that is really a perfect location for it. Right across from Lyndale, not too far off from other wealthy neighborhoods, and a straight shot up and down Evans for both Winterville residents and ECU students.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I don't care either way about TJ's, but that is really a perfect location for it. Right across from Lyndale, not too far off from other wealthy neighborhoods, and a straight shot up and down Evans for both Winterville residents and ECU students.
Agreed. If they are indeed coming to Greenville that is an ideal location.

Also, was out 10th street at the intersection with Portertown and it appears site prep has begun on the lot beside Aldi out there.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:15 AM

33 posts, read 17,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Isn't that a great location for Home Goods?

by the way, which neighborhoods are considered wealth around here? or more precisely, what's the definition of "wealthy" in this area?

Old 04-18-2024, 02:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,613,987 times
Anyone know what’s going up across from the airport? Corner of Airport Road and Memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina