Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times

Advertisements

City incumbents win commanding victories: Full election results - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 11:56 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Honestly, I thought a few elections would be more contested than what they were including D3, and At-Large. Nonetheless, PJ won resoundingly, and I’m surprised more people didn’t vote for Boston-Hill. That being said, I do think voters put in respectable numbers for me considering how small of an operation I had. If I I had built the volunteer base that was offered to me (I’ve easily had 50 people offer to volunteer), built out an advertisement campaign, and built up name recognition, then I could’ve offered a real challenge to PJ. Say what you want about me, but I offered a robust platform that many people wanted to get behind, but because my campaign never expanded, I didn’t get my message out nearly as well as I could’ve.

That’s just a few of my thoughts on my election. Maybe some will think I’m delusional, but I actually feel great about my loss!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:34 AM

455 posts, read 527,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Honestly, I thought a few elections would be more contested than what they were including D3, and At-Large. Nonetheless, PJ won resoundingly, and I’m surprised more people didn’t vote for Boston-Hill. That being said, I do think voters put in respectable numbers for me considering how small of an operation I had. If I I had built the volunteer base that was offered to me (I’ve easily had 50 people offer to volunteer), built out an advertisement campaign, and built up name recognition, then I could’ve offered a real challenge to PJ. Say what you want about me, but I offered a robust platform that many people wanted to get behind, but because my campaign never expanded, I didn’t get my message out nearly as well as I could’ve.

That’s just a few of my thoughts on my election. Maybe some will think I’m delusional, but I actually feel great about my loss!
I thought you had some good ideas but was surprised I didn't see more of a campaign around town. Was there are particular reason you did not/could not expand the operation? Regardless, stay involved, there is a lot of good yet to accomplish in Greenville!

Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I thought you had some good ideas but was surprised I didn't see more of a campaign around town. Was there are particular reason you did not/could not expand the operation? Regardless, stay involved, there is a lot of good yet to accomplish in Greenville!
The main rationale, now that the election is over, is that many Democrats seemed to be pissed that I was running because I was going to “split the vote.” So frankly I thought Boston-Hill, if I didn’t campaign as hard (or build an actual campaign for that matter), would be competitive against PJ — she wasn’t. My biggest fear was that Boston-Hill would receive 5,000 votes, I receive 2,000, and Connelly receive 6,000, effectively making me the spoiler.

If I had known her support was so weak, I would’ve put the resources in to build a strong campaign. I mean that was a complete blowout. So I congratulate PJ on his victory, but it’s not like I was campaigning nearly as effectively as I could’ve.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:24 PM

More (interesting) details on the Gerlach fiasco.

https://www.wral.com/unc-board-membe...blic/18748837/

Last edited by LM117; 11-06-2019 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The main rationale, now that the election is over, is that many Democrats seemed to be pissed that I was running because I was going to “split the vote.” So frankly I thought Boston-Hill, if I didn’t campaign as hard (or build an actual campaign for that matter), would be competitive against PJ — she wasn’t. My biggest fear was that Boston-Hill would receive 5,000 votes, I receive 2,000, and Connelly receive 6,000, effectively making me the spoiler.

If I had known her support was so weak, I would’ve put the resources in to build a strong campaign. I mean that was a complete blowout. So I congratulate PJ on his victory, but it’s not like I was campaigning nearly as effectively as I could’ve.
BMORE,

Kudos for you for making a run at it. Hopefully you'll be able to turn this experience into a council seat in the future. Like another has said, there's plenty of good work to do in the city. Keep at it.

As far as lighting goes, the city definitely needs some upgrades. It's pretty surprising every time I come to town to visit from Raleigh, just how dark the streets are. Even on the busiest thoroughfares in the city, there are a clear lack of street lights.

----------

https://www.witn.com/content/news/Gr...564534801.html

Quote:
GREENVILLE, NC (WITN) The city of Greenville placed number 22 out of 203 on Forbes' list of Best Small Places for Business and Careers.

Forbes said that is due to Greenville's strong health care, education and manufacturing industries, East Carolina University, and its bustling Uptown area.

Uptown Greenville has grown substantially and has welcomed new businesses every year, like 'From Marfa', a clothing store that just opened in April.

"People come down here to eat, and then they see that there's other things down here and then they start exploring and that's the best way for us to get new customers," said the owner of the store, Emily Bruch. ​She said in her short time here, she's seen Greenville become more and more of a destination for visitors from Kinston, Farmville, and other surrounding areas.

Development projects to bring even more businesses to Uptown Greenville are still underway, with plans for a millennial campus, a new hotel and a renovation of the warehouse district all in the works.

New Bern, Jacksonville, and Rocky Mount also made the list, at numbers 135, 140 and 182, respectively.

Greenville has been on this Forbes list before, ranking in the top 10 in 2012.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 PM

327 posts, read 602,854 times
I'm thinking they'll be opening up this Southwest Bypass any day now. Today, when I got on 264 East at Stantonsburg Rd., I noticed they covered the old sign up and now have a new 264 and NC 11 Bypass sign up.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:35 AM

Maintenance temporarily closing parking deck - Daily Reflector

Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 AM

59 posts, read 41,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
I'm thinking they'll be opening up this Southwest Bypass any day now. Today, when I got on 264 East at Stantonsburg Rd., I noticed they covered the old sign up and now have a new 264 and NC 11 Bypass sign up.
According to this, it says it will open November 21st. But it looks like they should open it now.

Talk of the Town 10-5-2019 Hwy 11 Update

Type that in youtube and you'll see it.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,581 times
It's been kinda slow up here lately, so maybe this will give us something to talk about for a day or two...

City of Greenville Awarded $15 Million BUILD Grant to Improve Transportation Infrastructure

WASHINGTON D.C. - The City of Greenville has been announced as a recipient of one of three United States Department of Transportation Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) grants awarded to the State of North Carolina.

Greenville will receive $15 million to support its Transportation Access, Safety and Connectivity (TASC) Investment Project, a multimodal improvement project to enhance the city's vehicle, pedestrian, and bicycle infrastructure. The project will include roadway realignment and resurfacing, as well as the extension of greenway space, construction of a multi-use path, and conversion of an abandoned rail.

The announcement was made Wednesday by the offices of North Carolina Senators Thom Tillis and Richard Burr. Tillis, Burr, and others from Greenville's federal delegation played a critical role in the grant process, including organizing and attending initial meetings with stakeholders and USDOT staff to enhance applications before they were submitted, attending pitch meetings with stakeholders and USDOT staff, and providing advice and counsel on USDOT priorities that stakeholders were able to highlight in their applications.

"We are thrilled to learn that we have been approved for this funding that will help us improve safety, accessibility, and connectivity in Greenville's urban core and link residents, employees, students, and visitors to centers of education, employment, innovation, entrepreneurship, culture, entertainment, and recreation," Greenville Mayor P.J. Connelly said. "We greatly appreciate the numerous local partners for their assistance, and especially want to thank Senator Thom Tillis, Representative Mark Meadows, Senator Richard Burr, Representative G.K. Butterfield, and Representative Greg Murphy for recognizing the impact that our proposal would have on Greenville and supporting our efforts."

The Greenville TASC Project, which creates a complete multi-modal network in the West Greenville, Medical District, and Uptown District, includes several components:
West Fifth Street Phases II, III, IV including the construction of two roundabouts, roadway resurfacing, and pedestrian and bicycle improvements including ADA compliant sidewalks, enhanced pedestrian safety lighting, brick paver crosswalks, and dedicated bicycle lanes. This work extends from Ford Street in West Greenville to Cotanche Street in the Uptown District.
South Tar River Greenway expansion from Moye Boulevard to Fifth and 10th Streets.
Town Common Connector providing a greenway connection from Fifth Street to First Street including a pedestrian bridge over the Town Creek Culvert area.
ECU Millennial Campus Connector including the conversion of an abandoned rail spur and rail wye into two multi-use paths to provide non-vehicular access between the Millennial Campus and the Uptown District.
Moye Boulevard Sidewalk Expansion to improve connectivity and access to the Medical District and the 10th Street Connector.
"This project will be transformational for our community," Connelly said. "By making these transportation enhancements, we are improving access to jobs and education through connectivity with the Medical District, Uptown, and ECU. One of the primary beneficiaries will be our West Greenville neighborhood which will experience expanded private economic investment and an improved quality of life for residents of the area."

The City of Greenville received more than 20 letters of support for its application, and six different entities provided local matching funds to support to the project. Partners for the project include the Greenville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (GUAMPO), the North Carolina Department of Transportation, ECU, the North Carolina and Pitt County Arts Councils, Taft Family Ventures, and Vidant Health.

A total of $51 million was awarded in the three grants for North Carolina. Other recipients included the North Carolina Department of Transportation ($22.5 million) for the widening of I-95 and raising of two bridges between Lumberton and Fayetteville and the Town of Mooresville ($13.6 million) for the construction of a new 1.7-mile roadway from I-77 to NC-115/Mecklenburg Highway

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina