Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM

59 posts, read 42,064 times

Advertisements

Yeah. Tear down Sears and put a stadium or more businesses or expand closer to Frontgate Drive! A Super-Target would be perfect for that area (which i don't think we are getting) ECU stuff over in that area is also a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Crazy idea time. Have the city purchase the Sears lot to tear down and build a multi purpose stadium.
Sears owned that property outright. The property was transferred to ESL Investments in February of this year as a result of least year's bankruptcy. ESL is none other than Eddie Lampert, the former CEO of Sears that bought up all of Sears' debt and holdings. It's not likely that the property will sit for too long and they're probably not going to give it away at a sale price. ESL Investments wants to make as much money as possible. That's why they're in business. Giving it away or just letting it sit doesn't make them any money.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:51 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
UNC System releases Gerlach report - Daily Reflector

Old 11-11-2019, 04:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Report confirms drinking, driving by Gerlach; questions anonymous emails - Daily Reflector

Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM

59 posts, read 42,064 times
I was also thinking we should tear down the whole Greenville Blvd shopping center (including Walmart) and rebuild it with the stores more organized. (We will keep Walmart, MetroPCS, and other existing businesses we have). Does anyone agree with me? Because when they closed Toys R Us I had an idea that we should do that.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
https://www.reflector.com/news/it-s-...52dcc60d4.html

the public-private economic development partnerships goals for the next five years include:

2,750 jobs created that pay at or above the county’s average wage.
$1.25 billion in new capital investment.
More than 300 public-owned acres for business/industrial expansion.

Pretty ambitious, especially when we haven’t had a +100 job announcement in forever. I understand this alliance is supposed to turn the tides, but I can’t see these goals coming to fruition in five years time. This is why I, when repeatedly asked about the alliance, stated that we shouldn’t focus too much energy on bringing companies here and gambling with that. I do understand part of the alliance job is to build local businesses, but a lot more of the focus should be on that aspect.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:41 AM

455 posts, read 528,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

the public-private economic development partnerships goals for the next five years include:

Pretty ambitious, especially when we haven’t had a +100 job announcement in forever. I understand this alliance is supposed to turn the tides, but I can’t see these goals coming to fruition in five years time. This is why I, when repeatedly asked about the alliance, stated that we shouldn’t focus too much energy on bringing companies here and gambling with that. I do understand part of the alliance job is to build local businesses, but a lot more of the focus should be on that aspect.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

― Norman Vincent Peale

I'll take ambitious and I like the mix of the mission:"bring in new industry, grow existing businesses, build a qualified workforce, strengthen the region’s competitive position and facilitate investments in the community."

Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

Median household income in Pitt Co is $43,526. For comparison, New Hanover is $49,582, Wake is $66,579. US is 53,482.

I would hope that the goal for this Alliance is to create or recruit jobs to RAISE the Pitt Co median household income to the US average...as New Hanover Co and other ENC counties are getting closer to.

Pitt Co has, for way too long, compared itself to the rest of the East instead of comparing itself to the other Top 10 or 12 cities in NC. It needs to raise its standards. Schools, Public investment, Job creation, etc...

How bad is Pitt's? Well, Onslow's median is 48,162. Craven is 49,391. Carteret is 51,584.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

― Norman Vincent Peale

I'll take ambitious and I like the mix of the mission:"bring in new industry, grow existing businesses, build a qualified workforce, strengthen the region’s competitive position and facilitate investments in the community."
Trust me, I’ll take ambitious also. I’m glad they’re setting aggressive goals, but on the opposing hand we should make sure the focus is on growing existing businesses and helping our residents start small businesses. I’d hate to see us gamble $8 million to bring 500 jobs, when we could’ve helped small business and aspiring business owners create 500 jobs.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
How bad is Pitt's? Well, Onslow's median is 48,162. Craven is 49,391. Carteret is 51,584.
Does this analysis take into account cost of living and poverty rates? There's more to this than just income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina