Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 07:53 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

City begins process for Mirra inspired action park - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
I'd love to see a statue of Mira out front at this park one day.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM

192 posts, read 281,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I'd love to see a statue of Mira out front at this park one day.
I think a statue and park sound awesome. However, is this the best use of tax money? I may be completely unaware of the size of the BMX and skateboarding community but I thought there was already a group of people that recently called it quits when trying to fund something like this (minus the Dave Mirra name) to build a public skate and BMX park. As I recall they were unable to create enough interest and financial support to move forward. It seems like a very limited population of people that will be able to utilize this kind of park and if a private group couldn't find enough interest to support it why does it seem logical to then just move forward with it because we can use other peoples money?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM

455 posts, read 528,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I think a statue and park sound awesome. However, is this the best use of tax money? I may be completely unaware of the size of the BMX and skateboarding community but I thought there was already a group of people that recently called it quits when trying to fund something like this (minus the Dave Mirra name) to build a public skate and BMX park. As I recall they were unable to create enough interest and financial support to move forward. It seems like a very limited population of people that will be able to utilize this kind of park and if a private group couldn't find enough interest to support it why does it seem logical to then just move forward with it because we can use other peoples money?
Valid questions here. From the sounds of it, perhaps they are aiming larger scale as a destination type facility to drive tourism? In my mind I think of Camp Woodward in Pennsylvania but I would be shocked if they were at that scale.... I'm on the fence, I think we should have stoked this fire years ago, but I'm willing to wait for their proposal.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I think the idea is bigger than that, but having the Mirra name attached to it can make it bigger for Greenville to help make it a destination park. Think ziplines, walking, running trails as well as BMX park. Should be a great place to bring the family for the day. And tying into the Town Common and the Greenways add to the connectivity.

Also...remember there are about 30,000 college students in Greenville between ECU and Pitt, so a park like this would be utilized by much of the population. And those young people do add significantly to the Greenville economy and sales tax base, so they do contribute to the local coffers. But no, they dont have money to donate.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 AM

217 posts, read 236,288 times
Agreed HP.

Personally, I think the PARTF funds could go to a greater community use. River Park North is criminally underutilized and more extensive hiking and biking trails would be an incredible resource there.

But the BMX park would be a significant draw--look at the replays of the most recent Vans BMX Pro Cup destinations. From the sounds of it, this park would be comparable and, with the Mirra name and Greenville's significance to the BMX world, would be a draw even beyond the local population.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Agreed HP.

Personally, I think the PARTF funds could go to a greater community use. River Park North is criminally underutilized and more extensive hiking and biking trails would be an incredible resource there.

But the BMX park would be a significant draw--look at the replays of the most recent Vans BMX Pro Cup destinations. From the sounds of it, this park would be comparable and, with the Mirra name and Greenville's significance to the BMX world, would be a draw even beyond the local population.
The economic impact could be significant with a Event caliber park. It could be a significant destination on the East Coast for these events. Here is info from the Hornets Nest Park in Charlotte for perspective...

New Rider Info | Hornet's Nest BMX

To have Dave Mirra's name on something like that would generate traffic....literally, into Greenville.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM

192 posts, read 281,246 times
Quote:
Agreed HP.

You're right about RPN but the access seems to be an issue. If they used some of these funds for the bridge idea that was previously floated between RPN and the town commons and then upgrad one of those areas with Dave Mirra park, that could be the best of both worlds. The price would certainly go up but the return could be a LOT bigger and more inclusive.

I know there are 30,000 students but I guarantee the percentage of them owning a skateboard or BMX is minimal and far less would have the skills or inclination to utilize a park with ramps and obstacles. Combine the two worlds or recreation and "extreme" sports to not only provide a draw but also build and combine different types of recreational communities seen at RPN and skate/BMX parks/town common park. All three seem to attract different people. This would be a true community project.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 PM

217 posts, read 236,288 times
RPN sits in the floodway so in order to construct anything a "No-Rise" study has to be performed and certificate for the project has to be issued (saying the construction won't cause the flood level to rise). To get access via a pedestrian bridge, we're going to need a quarter-mile, single-span pedestrian bridge. Not going to happen.

The location I've heard thrown about most for the BMX park is the old tobacco warehouse off N. Greene Street. Behind the property is a sliver of land that is privately owned, and abuts River Park North's rear property. On that back property is a mile of pristine double-track around the old sand mines and, with a little bit of trail work, could easily connect into the park. My understanding is that the city wants to acquire that sliver along with the warehouse for the BMX park (though that is ~8 mo. old information). We nearly missed out on a grant that would have allotted ~60K in grant funding for a pump track to be built at RPN as well.

The pedestrian bridge is dead for the foreseeable future and connectivity between the common and RPN is a pipe dream. But, @Bret your combined outdoor rec park is precisely what RPN should be--if only we can get a Parks Department that sees it for what it is.

Conveniently, I don't believe mountain bike trail construction counts as dredge and fill under the Clean Water Act, so non-paved trails could easily be constructed at RPN with minimal effort--again, if Parks is open to the idea.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
RPN sits in the floodway so in order to construct anything a "No-Rise" study has to be performed and certificate for the project has to be issued (saying the construction won't cause the flood level to rise). To get access via a pedestrian bridge, we're going to need a quarter-mile, single-span pedestrian bridge. Not going to happen.

The location I've heard thrown about most for the BMX park is the old tobacco warehouse off N. Greene Street. Behind the property is a sliver of land that is privately owned, and abuts River Park North's rear property. On that back property is a mile of pristine double-track around the old sand mines and, with a little bit of trail work, could easily connect into the park. My understanding is that the city wants to acquire that sliver along with the warehouse for the BMX park (though that is ~8 mo. old information). We nearly missed out on a grant that would have allotted ~60K in grant funding for a pump track to be built at RPN as well.

The pedestrian bridge is dead for the foreseeable future and connectivity between the common and RPN is a pipe dream. But, @Bret your combined outdoor rec park is precisely what RPN should be--if only we can get a Parks Department that sees it for what it is.

Conveniently, I don't believe mountain bike trail construction counts as dredge and fill under the Clean Water Act, so non-paved trails could easily be constructed at RPN with minimal effort--again, if Parks is open to the idea.
Immediately thought of this while reading what you’re saying about an old tobacco warehouse:

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/09/20/st...erted-factory/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina