Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 AM

217 posts, read 236,110 times

Advertisements

Given how much we sound off on transportation issues here, I thought I would draw this to our collective attention. I will be in attendance--hopefully you will as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post

Given how much we sound off on transportation issues here, I thought I would draw this to our collective attention. I will be in attendance--hopefully you will as well!
Appreciate that.

I seriously doubt the MPO can address the real problem with transportation in the Greenville area...which is the time it takes to get a project completed. In the mid 90's the #1 and #2 transportation projects on the TIP list were the Southwest bypass and the 10th St Connector. It has been over 20 years and neither are completed. So whatever items they put on their list mean very little in terms of fixing traffic in the Greenville area.

Additionally, Greenville's issues are not only local but regional in nature. How long does it take to get from say DH Conley High School to North Pitt? And what is the route you would take? What route would you take from Conley to South Central? We arent just talking about traffic if I wanted to go from Greenville Rose to DH Conley and use Arlington Blvd...we are talking about the overall system is non functional.

Widening Evans St isn't going to make Greenville's road system any more functional.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Appreciate that.

I seriously doubt the MPO can address the real problem with transportation in the Greenville area...which is the time it takes to get a project completed. In the mid 90's the #1 and #2 transportation projects on the TIP list were the Southwest bypass and the 10th St Connector. It has been over 20 years and neither are completed. So whatever items they put on their list mean very little in terms of fixing traffic in the Greenville area.

Additionally, Greenville's issues are not only local but regional in nature. How long does it take to get from say DH Conley High School to North Pitt? And what is the route you would take? What route would you take from Conley to South Central? We arent just talking about traffic if I wanted to go from Greenville Rose to DH Conley and use Arlington Blvd...we are talking about the overall system is non functional.

Widening Evans St isn't going to make Greenville's road system any more functional.
Widenings most certainly aren't going to do anything for us. Constructing medians will help in that they'll prevent the left turns across traffic that slow down flows and cause accidents. Connecting roads like 10th Street and Stantonsburg make our flow work better. But I ultimately agree with you--until more connections can be made in the existing road network that do not necessitate changing routes, the current system has significant flaws.

RE: the TIP--thankfully we've moved to the data-driven prioritization process. Previous system required legislative mandate and/or earmark, so projects were highly political. Telling that only a few years after the new process took over the SW Bypass was funded to completion.

What I'd like to see has nothing to do with planning and everything to do with management. We need signalization that is linked to demand. Most of our lights are currently signalized based on pressure sensors and timers. We can realize true reductions in queue time at lights if the signalization is sensible.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:16 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Widenings most certainly aren't going to do anything for us. Constructing medians will help in that they'll prevent the left turns across traffic that slow down flows and cause accidents. Connecting roads like 10th Street and Stantonsburg make our flow work better. But I ultimately agree with you--until more connections can be made in the existing road network that do not necessitate changing routes, the current system has significant flaws.

RE: the TIP--thankfully we've moved to the data-driven prioritization process. Previous system required legislative mandate and/or earmark, so projects were highly political. Telling that only a few years after the new process took over the SW Bypass was funded to completion.

What I'd like to see has nothing to do with planning and everything to do with management. We need signalization that is linked to demand. Most of our lights are currently signalized based on pressure sensors and timers. We can realize true reductions in queue time at lights if the signalization is sensible.
Agreed...so Greenville's transportation needs are as follows...

1) Need Interstate quality beltway for regional purposes (like SW bypass)
2) Need to eliminate "suicide lanes" and construct medians for safety purposes
3) Need to increase connectivity between existing roads (build an actual system) (like 10 st connector)
4) Need to increase capacity (widening) (like Firetower Rd)
5) Need to construct sidewalks/multi use paths for bikes/pedestrians
6) Need to coordinate the lights for traffic flow

Basically...Everything. Oh, and how about installing some real bus stops.

Good luck with funding that plan. Its a fairly daunting task when the only major road project completed in the last 20 years was widening a section of Firetower Rd.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 PM

155 posts, read 235,187 times
I'm with you on that but the 10th Street Connector is almost finally finished. I think some of the slow down has been leadership too. Not saying Alan Thomas was responsible for the push but I think he certainly added value to the process along the way. Maybe we have a better core in place to advocate for these type of improvements. I don't know the details you guys do but now's the time to take advantage of bus stops given our new transportation hub. I drive by simple signs with no cover for riders every day. That's pathetic for a city of our size to offer bus service but no bus stop convenience.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I'm with you on that but the 10th Street Connector is almost finally finished. I think some of the slow down has been leadership too. Not saying Alan Thomas was responsible for the push but I think he certainly added value to the process along the way.
Yep. For example, look what he did when he went to surrounding towns and cities and got their support for the Quad East interstate concept, which ballooned and eventually resulted in eastern NC getting I-42, I-87, I-587, and ensuring I-795’s extension from Goldsboro south along US-117 to I-40 near Faison. Three out of those four were made High Priority Corridors by Congress.

To say that Thomas added value is a big understatement.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
GUC considering pilot project for electric car charging stations - Daily Reflector

City signals end to downtown WiFi service - Daily Reflector

Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
deleted

Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM

GreAT and Public Works both want to improve the bus stop shelters, but the current city administration won't allocate any new funding to GreAT until ridership improves. Lamont (GreAT Director) has been nothing short of a miracle worker thus far with our bus system--ridership was decreasing >10%/quarter until recently. He's managed to stem the bleeding, which is impressive given the fiscal constraints he has.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
Stumpy's Hatchet House is coming along...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina