Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Advertisements

Red Shark is moving Uptown...nice get for the Uptown area. Next to Coastal Fog I believe.
http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/0...reenville.html

Last edited by jpirate; 07-26-2017 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Nice the State is finally trying to address inadequate infrastructure...lets pray this doesn't turn into a 30 yr project like they did Independence Blvd in Charlotte.

My understanding is that when the State changed their formula for building roads a few years back, they didn't realize that roads like Gville Blvd and College Rd in Wilmington would go right to the top of the list based on inability to handle existing traffic. They thought it would just determine Interstates being built in the major urban areas. My understanding was that College Rd improvements (some currently being done right now) were the top priority under the new rating system. I'm sure Gville Blvd ranks right up there (with no ability to bypass it (like College in Wilmington)).

I like the 14th St grade separation idea, keeping traffic moving. I don't see how the Evans intersection is going to be feasible. How about just getting four lane of Evans and six lane of Gville Blvd and get rid of the suicide lanes in the middle by adding medians and controlling left turns. And any plan needs to significantly address the 10th St intersection which is by far the most dangerous intersection in the City. If there was ever a place for an interchange it is that intersection. Build an overpass of Gville Blvd and ramps for 10th St access, similar to Market/College in Wilmington as your access into Gville. This could also function as the entry to a limited access corridor going over the bridge, connecting to I-587 interstate access later. Perfect for getting traffic to and from an interstate into Gville
They have to demolish McDonalds, Burger King, Allstate Insurance, Citgo (Oasis gas station along with Dunkin Donuts), And they will have to cut off Alexander Cir. And maybe Parker's to swerve Moseley Dr to the west.

Maybe demolish: Rite Aid, and GTS Express Lube.

http://prntscr.com/g0sd60

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9160...2537857,18.44z

I went through this interesting setup in Norfolk. It is bizarre as hell to use, but might work for 10th. I'm not sure if 10th has too much traffic for it.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 PM

20 posts, read 34,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Top Verizon reseller picks Raleigh for new HQ, 250 jobs :: Editor's Blog at WRAL TechWire

A Wireless (ABC Phones) it's moving its headquarters out of Greenville to Raleigh.
Most jobs that are currently in Greenville will stay there. Some will move, but majority stay. AWireless has offices in California, Minnesota, and Utah that will migrate to Raleigh along with newly created jobs over the next 2 years. There shouldn't be a huge negative impact on Greenville.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9160...2537857,18.44z

I went through this interesting setup in Norfolk. It is bizarre as hell to use, but might work for 10th. I'm not sure if 10th has too much traffic for it.
I like it. Virginia did the same thing recently in Charlottesville as well when they upgraded the US-29/Rio Road intersection, which used to be a nightmare for US-29 traffic.

It's the next best thing to a full-blown interchange, IMO.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scstanton View Post
Most jobs that are currently in Greenville will stay there. Some will move, but majority stay. AWireless has offices in California, Minnesota, and Utah that will migrate to Raleigh along with newly created jobs over the next 2 years. There shouldn't be a huge negative impact on Greenville.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. 250 newly created positions with an average salary of 93k seems like a big loss to me. That's enough to make a solid impact on Greenville's economy, IMO. 20 million in yearly salaries would have be great to have for pretty much every entity in the city.

I guess the saying "You can't miss what you never had" would apply, but I would have loved to have seen this company expand in Greenville instead of moving to Raleigh.

----------

Facade grants approved for 2 uptown businesses.

Facade grants go to two downtown projects - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Greenville’s Historic Preservation Commission has recommended its entire $20,000 budget for facade grants this year go toward major renovations of two downtown buildings — the bulk going to a building at Fourth and Evans that housed Bradshaw’s Department Store.

Applicants Tony Khoury and Morris Moye told the commission on Tuesday that they hope to restore the 401 Evans St. building to its original appearance, making it fit for downstairs office space and a residential space on the second floor.

Khoury, who is managing principal at The East Group engineering firm nearby on Evans, said they do not have a business lined up for the downstairs lease yet, but Khoury and his wife will be taking residence in the second-floor space.

“It’s exciting. I’m part of a business in downtown Greenville and just seeing the center city develop,” said Khoury. “For my wife and I it’s been a dream to live downtown and help provide for downtown.”
The men applied for six grants, two each for three of the building’s facades, totaling $18,694.50. Two grants per facade is the maximum allowed by city guidelines.

The remaining funds, $1,305.50, were recommended for work at 212 E. Fifth St., most recently the location of Art Avenue.

Property owner Claire Edwards sought grants totaling $11,850 to prepare the property for two new tenants, a Jenni K Jewelry store and a barbershop named Shave on Fifth

The building was originally constructed in 1919 and has been renovated several times. Edwards requested the money to restore the original transom window above the doorway and storefront windows that are now bricked up behind awnings.

She also requested money for the installation of signage, new doors, and the installation of a barber pole. The recommended funding is only enough to refurbish the transom windows.
Some board members expressed concern about allocating their entire yearly budget, but Chairwoman Candace Pearce said the board should consider the validity of the proposal, not whether to sit on the funding.

“It’s been a precedent in the past to not wait for other people to come and apply,” said Pearce. “We’ve had the problem when sometimes we have no applicants.”

Pearce also said she hopes to convince the City Council to allocate the commission more funding for additional needs at the Evans Street project and other’s that might arise. Dedicating all available funding now, according to Pearce, will demonstrate the need for additional monies.

“What we would like to as the commission, we would like to have qualified grants in place that we can’t fund because we don’t have money,” said Pearce. “Because governments often need to see a need ...”
The proposals will be sent to the city manager with the commission’s recommendation for final approval, according to the board.

Contact Seth Gulledge at Sgulledge@reflector.com and 329-9579.
Call me crazy, but this just seems like a "clever" way to get the city to help pay for your home renovations. I'd love to see how much money is going towards the office portion of the renovation and how much will be going to their residence upstairs. Not sure I agree with giving the grant to this couple unless they have a plan to actually bring a business in.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 AM

ECU, Vidant sign agreement to merge medical practices

Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I like it. Virginia did the same thing recently in Charlottesville as well when they upgraded the US-29/Rio Road intersection, which used to be a nightmare for US-29 traffic.

It's the next best thing to a full-blown interchange, IMO.
In Cville, the intersection was an 8 lane road crossing a 4 lane road with added turn lanes. It takes a lot of traffic to justify that kind of expenditure (~$70M). Here's a great link on the project for transportation junkies. I think that one of those roads was topping 50k vehicles/day. The Norfolk example is probably scaled more to the Greenville scenario; I wonder what a project like that would cost today; Norfolk built that intersection in the 50's.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
In Cville, the intersection was an 8 lane road crossing a 4 lane road with added turn lanes. It takes a lot of traffic to justify that kind of expenditure (~$70M). Here's a great link on the project for transportation junkies. I think that one of those roads was topping 50k vehicles/day. The Norfolk example is probably scaled more to the Greenville scenario; I wonder what a project like that would cost today; Norfolk built that intersection in the 50's.
When the Norfolk intersection was built is interesting to know. It seems odd and out of place now, but it would have made more sense before there was 64.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I can't imagine that kind of project will be cheap these days. I don't recall seeing that kind of intersection in NC. It's unlikely NCDOT would be willing to build one of those grade-separated intersections. Their pretty gung-ho on superstreet projects these days, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina