Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
JCPenney just spent a lot of money on updating that store, shame to see they might close...but their leadership in general has been subpar over the years. Trying to find an identity has been hard for them. I go in there occasionally but in all honesty, I think their clothing is over priced...but then again, I think it seems to be over priced everywhere these days. $60 for a pair of docker khakis..really?

If they have to shut down the store, the only major retailer out there will be Belk & Dunham Sports. Greenville could really have a nice regional mall, but for whatever reason they have never been able to get over the hup...lack of investment or poor management? I'm unsure. People here and all over Eastern NC would shop there if they had stores that were not only targeting the teens and certain segments of the population.

The mall is really a giant piece of crap. I wish they could bulldoze the entire thing & start over with a more Triangle Towne Center type approach.
Malls in general aren't doing well across the country. Pretty much all the malls in Eastern NC have dried up. Wilson closed a couple of years ago, Kinston Mall is on the verge of closing. Even the Triangle Town Center in Raleigh has dried up and is only about 60-70% full and was recently sold to another company. The Cary Town Center is pretty much dried up and they're desperately trying to redevelop it.

A complete bulldozing may not be needed. Maybe it could be redeveloped like the original portion of North Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
^ goes to show how long it's been since I went in Triangle Town Center. I had no idea they were struggling.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
Free 5k in Greenville this Saturday.

Hundreds of runners expected at free 5K in Greenville

St. Patrick's Day festival also happening Saturday.

Uptown Greenville: Paint the City Green for St. Patrick

Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ goes to show how long it's been since I went in Triangle Town Center. I had no idea they were struggling.
CBL & Associates still manages Triangle Town Center as well as Cary Towne Center, which is a big part of their problem. That company does not have a good track record. Oak Hollow Mall in High Point will be shut down for good in a few hours, also managed by CBL. They also manage River Ridge Mall in Lynchburg, VA which is also struggling.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Wilson closed a couple of years ago, Kinston Mall is on the verge of closing.
It blows my mind that Vernon Park Mall outlasted Wilson (Parkwood) Mall. Parkwood probably would've lasted longer had it not been sold to Hull Property Group in 2005. They killed that mall. Since it shut down in January 2013, they've been content to let the building sit there and rot. They own the mall here in Danville and it's on a downward spiral as well.

I don't know what to say about Kinston's mall other than I sometimes wonder if it's owners even remember that the mall exists. I haven't been there since the early 2000's.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqE6pyKEZA0

"We shop here because the stores are bigger and there are more of them"

Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
The small lot next to BB&T on Arlington (near Red Banks) has been cleared and a baggy construction wall is up. Apparently this lot is under development? It's already a dangerous situation with people trying to enter/exit out of Wells Fargo and Goodwill. They really need to make that a right exit only situation.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Greenville, NC : City News/Parking

Hard for the city to generate income from the parking deck when it's leasing a good portion of it to itself.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Greenville, NC : City News/Parking

Hard for the city to generate income from the parking deck when it's leasing a good portion of it to itself.
No one was parking in it anyway so this was ideal.

Actually, ideal would have been not selling the existing parking lot to begin with. The employees need somewhere to park.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 PM

Ribeye's will be opening a Washington location - downtown with a deck and great view of the Stuart Parkway and the Pamlico River. Seems like a great location. Hopefully they'll have more success there than Apollo's did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina