Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 AM

455 posts, read 528,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Very cool. Really seeing some major thoroughfares taking shape in Greenville with 10th street, Evans St (assuming it gets done), and Firetower/Portertown (including the extension out to the new bypass).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:32 PM

378 posts, read 419,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Very cool. Really seeing some major thoroughfares taking shape in Greenville with 10th street, Evans St (assuming it gets done), and Firetower/Portertown (including the extension out to the new bypass).
I just hate the quadrant roadways that this project is showing. You will no longer be able to turn left at the main intersection.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
If you want to make a left onto Firetower coming from 43 south you have to first go up a block, take a left, go down Turnbury, take a left onto Arlington, and take a right onto Firetower? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding this?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
If you want to make a left onto Firetower coming from 43 south you have to first go up a block, take a left, go down Turnbury, take a left onto Arlington, and take a right onto Firetower? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding this?
I believe that's correct. Or you make a right and go behind harris teeter to make your left onto Firetower.

----------

Carolina Kickoff has been rescheduled. Blake Shelton will not be performing:

Blake Shelton not performing at ECU later this month

Quote:
ECU says the 2017 Carolina Kickoff Concert, that was scheduled for August 19th at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, has been moved to April 21st of next year.

The university is expected to release more about why the concert was rescheduled.

The new lineup for the rescheduled event in April has yet to be released. People who have bought tickets for the August 19th concert are being told to retain their tickets, which will be honored at the rescheduled concert.

Those who have already bought tickets will also get into a free show on August 19th at Minges Coliseum. Big & Rich, Parmalee and Tucker Beathard will perform at the scaled-down event.
IMO, that's what happens when you're charging $150-200 a ticket for a concert in poorer Eastern NC. I looked the other day at tickets and there were a bunch of open seats in 80% of sections. I thought they would have lowered ticket prices from last year, but with Blake Shelton being on the ticket, I guess not. I looked up Blake Shelton tickets and he's performing at a country music festival ballpark in Kentucky for $70 a person in September. A whole weekend pass there is the same price as a decent seat at this Carolina Kickoff for one night. I think this is probably on the promoters. if tickets had been mostly in the 80-100 range, you'd probably see a much better crowd.

A large amphitheater could still be a viable option for this area, but you're simply not going to get many people wanting to pay that much for tickets in Eastern NC.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
IMO, that's what happens when you're charging $150-200 a ticket for a concert in poorer Eastern NC.
Yikes! Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Eastern NC is definitely not the place to be charging those prices!

Having grew up and lived there 14 years, one of the biggest things I've noticed is you have those who are broke and don't have that extra cash to spend, and those who are loaded but are too cheap to spend it and pretend like they don't have a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM

89 posts, read 130,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I just hate the quadrant roadways that this project is showing. You will no longer be able to turn left at the main intersection.
I agree. Sometimes, there's just not much you can do about congestion. That's part of living in a congested city. I think if they got rid of the suicide lanes and added medians and double turning lanes at Arlington and Charles it would be okay. Just kinda seems like you have to go around your ass to get to your elbow with the plans now.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
You would just make a right on the reconfigured Kittrell Rd and then a left onto Firetower. It may end up being faster than trying to hang a left directly from 43 to Firetower. Even if you did the Turnbury route you would skip hanging a left onto Arlington and continue on the reconfigured Turnbury directly to Firetower.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The answer to the Firetower/Charles/Arlington situation is to create new roads, but the State tries to get off on the cheap by just installing more lights at existing intersections.

How about building a road from south Charles (43) to cross County Home and intersect at Corey Rd/Firetower. This would essentially bypass the Firetower/Arlington/Charles intersections. It could connect to Firetower at the point they are indicating behind Harris Teeter. This would add CAPACITY to the area. You could try and do the same thing to the north, BUT the growth of the Greenville area is to the south, for miles...

Medians should have already been installed. Try making a left out of Lidl onto Firetower with the traffic coming around the curve. When is someone with DOT going to admit that the suicide lanes they install cause accidents and create an statewide initiative to remove them.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
i personally like the reconfiguration of the roadways for that section of Firetower..with that said, people around here will be so damn confused that they can't turn left they'll lose their mind. There are still people who can't navigate a darn round-a-bout, it blows my mind.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
i personally like the reconfiguration of the roadways for that section of Firetower..with that said, people around here will be so damn confused that they can't turn left they'll lose their mind. There are still people who can't navigate a darn round-a-bout, it blows my mind.
It's going to be even worse when there are two lanes on that roundabout as shown in the video!!! Definitely going to turn into a National Lampoon's European Vacation situation

--------------------

3 Dickinson Ave area businesses receive grants

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/0...uisnesses.html

Quote:
A performing arts outfit, a new restaurant and a shoe store were awarded $40,000 in grants from the city Redevelopment Commission to help efforts to rehabilitate buildings in downtown Greenville.

The commission on Tuesday awarded $20,000 to Whirligig Stage, which is renovating a venue at 628 S. Pitt St., near the intersection with Dickinson, for plays and performances. The work has been underway for about a year and the money will help with continued development of the project, staff told commissioners.

The board also awarded $10,000 to Ford + Shep, a restaurant that will be locating near Whirligig at 718 Dickinson Ave., according to staff. The restaurant will be a themed American kitchen with a focus on local foods and a changing menu based on local availability. Currently, the company operates a food truck in town, but is in the process of renovating the building as a permanent location.

Additionally the commission awarded $10,000 to Art & Sole, which will be locating at 111 W. Third St. across from the Pitt County Courthouse. The shoe store is planning on selling high-quality fashion sneakers, as well as some apparel.

The grants are given as part of the commission’s Small Business Plan. The board awards the grants twice a year to encourage development in the Center City and West Greenville redevelopment areas. The grants are funded through general obligation bonds approved by voters in 2004.

The commission’s Small Business Plan subcommittee recommended the grants awarded on Tuesday to the board from a field of eight applicants.

Originally city staff did not recommend Art & Sole, but instead advocated for Riverside Recreation, a company that was planning on operating on the Town Common. The company plans to rent equipment for river, park and trail entertainment, such as kayaks and bicycles.

City staff liked the business plan, but the small business committee members thought that it was not the best choice at this time because it had not gone through the required permitting yet.

Commission members said it would be better to consider the company during the next award cycle, which would allow for the company to finalize plans. The recommendation for Riverside Recreation was replaced by the recommendation for Art & Sole.
The commission will meet again on Sept. 5.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-03-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina