Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 06:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times

Advertisements

Dickinson Avenue development to boast new brewery, business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
The latest on the push to turn US-264 into Future I-587.

NC lawmakers want federal interstate designation for Highway 264 | News & Observer

Quote:
Eastern North Carolina’s representatives in Congress want President Barack Obama’s administration to quickly sign off on designating U.S. 264 as a future interstate – a move proponents say would be a step toward better transportation options for the state’s largest city without an interstate highway.

North Carolina’s request for Highway 264’s interstate status is pending on the desk of U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, a former mayor from Charlotte, N.C. The document – called a memorandum of understanding – wouldn’t allocate any federal money but local officials say it would help them immediately start marketing the area to prospective companies looking to relocate where roads will meet their needs. And, the federal designation would prioritize funding for the future interstate corridor.

State transportation officials want to build out the thoroughfare over the next 25 years to better connect Greenville and surrounding areas. Most of the stretch of road from Greenville to Zebulon, east of Raleigh, is built to interstate highway standards.

The interstate project is supported by U.S. Reps. G.K. Butterfield, Democrat from Wilson, and Walter Jones, Republican from Farmville, as well as North Carolina’s two Republican U.S. Sens. Richard Burr, from Winston-Salem, and Thom Tillis, from Huntersville. Supporters say developing Highway 264 into an interstate connected to Interstate 95 and neighboring Virginia and South Carolina would be a boon for local residents and the economy.

“Connecting Eastern North Carolina to neighboring states and regions will play a crucial role in the sustainable long-term growth of the area,” Jones said in a news statement Monday. “As a booming center of innovation across a wide range of industries, it is vital that the greater Greenville area has access to high-quality infrastructure and transportation.”

Butterfield said getting Foxx’s approval would be a step toward providing modern transportation infrastructure in a region where it’s badly needed. Greenville is North Carolina’s 10th-largest city and the only one in the top 10 without an interstate highway.
Today is the last day of AASHTO's fall meeting, but judging from this article, it appears that AASHTO's Standing Committee on Highways did not overturn the US Route Numbering Committee's rejection of Future I-587.

I can't think any other instance where a Memorandum of Understanding was used to gain a future interstate designation, but I think it'll happen.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

This sounds awesome! I drove through the Dickinson Ave area this past weekend, and they have made a lot of progress on those buildings. I didn't know there were going to be townhomes down there as well. That area is looking really good. I can't wait until they start on the Sidewalk Development and the GTAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The latest on the push to turn US-264 into Future I-587.

NC lawmakers want federal interstate designation for Highway 264 | News & Observer

Today is the last day of AASHTO's fall meeting, but judging from this article, it appears that AASHTO's Standing Committee on Highways did not overturn the US Route Numbering Committee's rejection of Future I-587.

I can't think any other instance where a Memorandum of Understanding was used to gain a future interstate designation, but I think it'll happen.
This is good news! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
This is good news! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Me too.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 AM

I found a little more out about the "Whirligig Stage Theater" the WNCT article mentioned.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

This looks like a great place . Smaller venues like this still bring people to the area and add to the "artsy" vibe I think this section of uptown is looking for.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM

455 posts, read 528,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
This will be the third brewery for Greenville correct?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:51 AM

FrancisDrake,

That is correct. It will be the third brewery in the city. If I remember correctly, the Sidewalk development may have a restaurant/brewery take up one of their commercial spaces as well. I think there is room for a few more if they would release the restriction from them being only allowed in the uptown area.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:31 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
I kind of like that they are only allowed in the uptown area currently. The idea you can park & walk to multiple breweries like most downtowns is highly appealing. I don't really want to see them spread around town until uptown is thriving and full.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Huge news From Mayor Thomas' facebook page:

Quote:
#BREAKING #NEWS "FUTURE US INTERSTATE 587 " (highway 264). ----The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials today #approved--/ the state’s application to add U.S. 264 between Zebulon and Greenville to the Interstate Highway System as Future #Interstate587. "With this approval, we now surpass what was the largest hurdle to achieving our goal-- achieving federal designation of highway 264 as US Interstate. This is great news. The culmination of much hard work by our team, local, state and federal-- to properly position Greenville and this region, to reach our economic potential for the future. -- Mayor Allen Thomas"

Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I kind of like that they are only allowed in the uptown area currently. The idea you can park & walk to multiple breweries like most downtowns is highly appealing. I don't really want to see them spread around town until uptown is thriving and full.

Good point. It will be cool to walk between breweries next year. Hopefully, they'll all be able to collaborate on a special brew together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Huge news From Mayor Thomas' facebook page:
Our finger crossing worked!!

Last edited by michealbond; 11-15-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina