Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 11:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I thought the existing 264 bypass was already interstate grade...
The outside shoulders needs widened and if a new interstate is to run between Kinston and Bethel, the US-13 interchange will either need to be rebuilt to interstate standards, or a new location interchange built with a new location highway connecting to US-13 north of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The outside shoulders needs widened and if a new interstate is to run between Kinston and Bethel, the US-13 interchange will either need to be rebuilt to interstate standards, or a new location interchange built with a new location highway connecting to US-13 north of the city.
Based on Wellcome Middle School, I'd bet an extension with a new exit on the 264 bypass would be warranted. You will have to do that anyway if you want to eventually loop Greenville, then the old 264 bypass near the Industrial areas would just serve those industries.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:39 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Based on Wellcome Middle School, I'd bet an extension with a new exit on the 264 bypass would be warranted. You will have to do that anyway if you want to eventually loop Greenville, then the old 264 bypass near the Industrial areas would just serve those industries.
Agreed. Unless NCDOT wants to do some serious deconstruction of the schools and houses along US-13, they may have to build a new alignment interstate running parallel with US-13 from US-264 north of Greenville before joining with US-13 just south of Bethel and upgrading the I-87/US-64 interchange to interstate standards.

NCDOT did a feasability study for upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Princeton and a new alignment alternative was recommended for similar reasons.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Taft-Ward development adding more apartments & a new brewery/restaurant/townhome project is coming..

Developers expand plans for student housing project - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Developers are going to expand a 180-unit student housing development by 12 apartments and add retail space and parking when they begin building the latest campus complex on 10th Street at Charles Boulevard.

Taft-Ward Investments asked the Greenville Board of Adjustment to amend a permit it approved earlier this year allowing for construction of the $54 million Campus-Edge apartments. The five-story housing project will accommodate more than 600 residents and includes a multi-story parking deck, more than 20,000 square feet of retail space and other amenities.
The original plans called for 180 multi-family units with 606 beds, 12,284 square feet of retail space and a six-story parking deck with 522 spaces. The amended request, approved last week, was for 192 multi-family units with 609 beds, 570 parking spaces and the addition of an outdoor dining area associated with a restaurant.

The 4.05-acre property, bounded by East 10th Street to the north, Charles Street to the east and Charles Boulevard to the west, will include the housing units and a structured parking deck.The property is zoned CDF (downtown commercial fringe) which allows for both commercial and residential uses.

Mike McCarty, director of development with Taft Development Group, spoke to the board during the Nov. 17 meeting about the proposed changes to the site plan.

“This the exact same footprint as before,” McCarty said. “But with architectural changes, the unit spaces increased. We added three beds, but more parking spaces.”

McCarty said the updated plans allowed for the addition of 12 additional multi-family units as well as additional parking in a multi-level parking deck. The minimum parking rate required by the city for dormitory developers is .75 spaces per bedroom, which would be about 520 spaces. The new plans have a increased parking rate of .76 spaces per bedroom, which will be about 570 spaces.\

“We added nine more residential spaces,” McCarty said. “And we have about 50 flex spaces that can go between residential and retail usage.”

City staff said the the request is in compliance with the city’s future land-use plan. The board unanimously approved the request.

Campus-Edge is one of three new planned housing developments in downtown Greenville. Other developments include:
• Gather Uptown, a $30 million project at Fifth and Greene streets. The five-story project will accommodate more than 400 residents and includes a multi-story parking deck and other amenities.

• Sidewalk Development, a $32 million mixed-use development at Dickinson Avenue and Reade Circle. The development will include a 60-unit market-rate apartment complex, a 60-unit student housing project and 20,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space.

New Brewery

Also during the meeting, the board approved a request from the Pitt Street Brewing Co. to obtain a special-use permit to operate a microbrewery at 630 S. Pitt St.

The property is a 7,650-square-foot building, which will contain the brewery, a 49-seat restaurant and six two-bedroom, one-and-a-half bathroom townhouses.

Michael Glenn, one of the project’s investors, discussed the development during the Nov. 17 meeting.
“This property was in pretty bad shape when we came across it,” Glenn said. “We’ve done a lot of stabilization to the property and are now to start the fun stuff and maybe brew some beer.”

City staff said the property is zoned CD (downtown-commercial) and said the request is in compliance with the city’s future land-use plan. The board unanimously approved the request.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:47 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
If my calculations are correct, there will be about 1300 more residents in downtown Greenville when these 4 projects are done.

Still have not seen a rendering of the Taft Ward project.

Another article says that Greenville will be getting 6 more Dunkin Donuts.

http://www.reflector.com/Workweek/20...reenville.html

Hopefully one downtown with all of this commercial space being added.

Last edited by HP91; 11-28-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
6 more dunkin donuts??? I'm all for growth...but do we need 8 of these in the same town? We have Krispy Kreme & Duck Donuts which many prefer over Dunkin.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:07 PM

111 posts, read 148,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
6 more dunkin donuts??? I'm all for growth...but do we need 8 of these in the same town? We have Krispy Kreme & Duck Donuts which many prefer over Dunkin.
I'm guessing many will be the gas station variety and not free-standing.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Yea, 6 new Dunkin Donuts in Greenville interests me very little. I'm more of a Krispy Kreme person. But it will provide people with jobs, so that's always good. I believe an uptown location would be great, especially near the ECU/courthouse area.

Spreading around 5 more locations seems like oversaturation. Put one by the hospital, one by PCC, and one uptown and I think you're ok with the coffee/doughnut market in Greenville.

------

1300 residents sounds great! Wish that number wasn't 90% students, but it's better than 0! Now, we just need some more "office" jobs & developments in that area to keep young professionals around.

Yea, I would love to see some renderings. I am surprised Taft/Ward hasn't done this already. You would think these companies would want to get their vision out to the public as quickly as possible. Nothing from the Sidewalk Development either.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:15 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Is the hotel at Allen & Stantonsburg still happening? There were signs posted for awhile, but not lately. Today I saw a big rig and a white van parked at the abandoned house there. Makes me curious. Anybody have an update?

Old 11-28-2016, 03:26 PM

I know that sign for the "Home2" suites that has been there for years is gone. From the loop net posting, it doesn't seem like there's any hotel coming.

2701 Stantonsburg Rd, Greenville, NC, 27834 - Commercial/Other (land) Property For Sale on LoopNet.com

I'm assuming that deal fell through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina