Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,453 times
Mumford Rd area, Ashton Woods apartments, Wyndham Circle and some other specific locations are 0-2 in serious flood situations. Should the city just go ahead and expand the Tar River's buffer zone and condemn all structures in these specific locations and not allow further building there (maybe unless they're stilted)? After GUC moves off Mumford, will that area be worth the risk keeping what little is left over there? All it takes to have a "flood of the century" is significant rainfall in the days before a hurricane hits. It may be every 25-50 years (or in this case - 17), but surely this will happen again. Based on the experience with Floyd, the city and the mayor have done a fabulous job managing this flood disaster. Now let's find ways to be even more prepared for the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 PM

144 posts, read 189,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Should the city just go ahead and expand the Tar River's buffer zone and condemn all structures in these specific locations and not allow further building there (maybe unless they're stilted)?
That would be the smart thing to do if it is financially feasible (I assume the federal government would have to pay for most of it), but how often does the government do anything smart.

Another aspect of this flood is whether structures in the 2016 flood area were insurable as a result of Floyd? I'm pretty sure Floyd was a 500-year flood and 2016's is approximately at the same level, which would also make it a 500-year flood. Are these events becoming more common? Floods in many places have been in the news a lot this year, including the flood in northeastern NC just a few weeks ago. If they are becoming more common, how is that affecting the ability to insure against flooding in flood prone areas?

Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I'm pretty sure Floyd was a 500-year flood and 2016's is approximately at the same level, which would also make it a 500-year flood.
500 years goes by quickly, doesn't it?

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
That would be the smart thing to do if it is financially feasible (I assume the federal government would have to pay for most of it), but how often does the government do anything smart.

Another aspect of this flood is whether structures in the 2016 flood area were insurable as a result of Floyd? I'm pretty sure Floyd was a 500-year flood and 2016's is approximately at the same level, which would also make it a 500-year flood. Are these events becoming more common? Floods in many places have been in the news a lot this year, including the flood in northeastern NC just a few weeks ago. If they are becoming more common, how is that affecting the ability to insure against flooding in flood prone areas?
You can buy flood insurance (and its pretty cheap) if you are outside of the 100 year floodplain. Its just not required for loans in those cases so most don't buy it. As well, if there are no loans on properties, many may not have flood insurance.

This event should finally dispel the theory that it wont happen it again. That was foolish thinking to begin with when it happened already.

Buyouts are the way to go. This is the opportunity...and it needs to include ALL buildings, not just houses. The airport is probably fine (because its mostly runway and its easy to move planes), but never understood why the terminal wasn't rebuilt with an elevation to it so it wouldn't flood. Plenty of room for a long ramp for people to go up a level higher.

There is plenty of land that is not in the floodplain to build and the more land you have gives you more opportunities for recreational use. Soccer Parks, Golf courses, River Park North, Trails, stuff like that can get flooded. The City should be using the buyout program as an opportunity to further the recreational needs of a growing community.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:29 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Mumford Rd area, Ashton Woods apartments, Wyndham Circle and some other specific locations are 0-2 in serious flood situations. Should the city just go ahead and expand the Tar River's buffer zone and condemn all structures in these specific locations and not allow further building there (maybe unless they're stilted)? After GUC moves off Mumford, will that area be worth the risk keeping what little is left over there? All it takes to have a "flood of the century" is significant rainfall in the days before a hurricane hits. It may be every 25-50 years (or in this case - 17), but surely this will happen again. Based on the experience with Floyd, the city and the mayor have done a fabulous job managing this flood disaster. Now let's find ways to be even more prepared for the next time.
River Park South from Town Commons to Greenwood Cemetery would be nice. With Willow & Avery Streets being the southern border.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
With Willow & Avery Streets being the southern border.
That's now twice been the proven hard-line area that will flood in these events (though Floyd may have gone slightly beyond Willow). Immediately after Floyd cleared I photographed the area. Willow and northward streets with filled with contents (furniture and appliances, etc.) from every single house. Apartment complexes had industrial dumpsters filled with the same. I imagine it'll be the same situation in a few days. Several years back I had a couple of relatives living in Ashton Woods. I thought they were a little nicer than the average complex in Greenville at the time, but I never liked the idea of the river being just outside the door. Sadly, that aspect was probably its biggest draw to the residents. I hate to see people being displaced, but truth be told, nature and geography are deeming it necessary.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
City council getting back to work.

Quote:
Now that floodwaters from Hurricane Matthew are receding, Greenville officials can get back to business during tonight’s City Council meeting.

The council will meet at 6 p.m. on the third floor of City Hall, 200 W. Fifth St. The meeting will include a public comment period. Agenda items originally scheduled to go before City Council on Oct. 10 will be discussed during a meeting on Thursday.

Tonight’s agenda will include a discussion about the possible construction of a pedestrian bridge across the Tar River that will connect Greenville’s Town Common and River Park North.

At-Large Councilman Calvin Mercer and District 3 Councilman McLean Godley have spoken in favor of the project if federal and private funding can be obtained.

"I've been working on this project for several years since former City Manager Wayne Bowers, at a dinner meeting, sketched the idea out for me on a napkin and said he felt this was feasible, would be transformative and outside funding could perhaps be obtained,†Mercer said. “There's an economic value to quality of life and this transformative pedestrian bridge project would move us forward on both these fronts.â€

Mercer and Godley said the city’s Tar River Legacy Plan, Town Common Master Plan and Horizons 2026 Plan all recommend a pedestrian bridge connecting the 25-acre Town Common to the 324-acre River Park North. A bridge and greenway connecting the two parks would allow visitors to access River Park North without having to drive across the Tar River, they said.

"A pedestrian bridge spanning the Tar River would not only serve as a signature attraction and landmark for eastern North Carolina but it would also kickstart the process for Greenville's natural body of water to reach its potential as an economic driver,†Godley said. “I'm pleased to be working with Councilman Mercer on this project ... as he too sees the value that this project would bring to our community. "

Also during tonight’s meeting, the City Council will discuss modifying its contract for services with Uptown Greenville, a private, nonprofit organization chartered with revitalizing the city’s center.

During its Sept. 8 meeting, the council voted unanimously to renew its contract with the organization. Since 2010, the city and Uptown Greenville have agreed upon an annual program of activities to be carried out by the organization in an effort to market, support, retain and recruit businesses in the downtown district.

In 2010, the city authorized $25,000 annually for the services provided by Uptown Greenville. In 2012, the amount was increased to $50,000 a year. The organization also receives $25,000 a year from both Vidant Health and East Carolina University.

The remainder of Uptown Greenville’s $500,000 annual budget comes from hosting downtown events as well as endorsements from key stakeholder institutions and residents.

“I don’t know if there is any entity that we invest in that we get a better return for our dollar,†Mayor Allen Thomas said. “It’s amazing what they do.â€

District 5 Councilman P.J. Connelly during the meeting requested that the council discuss investing additional funds into the organization.

“Return on investment is crucial,†Connelly said. “It’s incredible what you guys do with the budget you have ... I would like to look at getting additional funding for Uptown Greenville.â€
I think the Uptown Greenville group does a great job!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,581 times
I would love to see a pedestrian bridge across the Tar River...I think it would be HUGE for River Park North. If I could park at the Town Commons & walk / bike over there I'd do it in a heartbeat. Currently having to drive out there impedes the amount of people who utilize it.

Of Note: does anyone know what is being developed across the street from the Wal-Mart on Hwy 43? Lots of activity going on over there now. Is it residential or more business development?

Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM

192 posts, read 281,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I would love to see a pedestrian bridge across the Tar River...I think it would be HUGE for River Park North. If I could park at the Town Commons & walk / bike over there I'd do it in a heartbeat. Currently having to drive out there impedes the amount of people who utilize it.

Of Note: does anyone know what is being developed across the street from the Wal-Mart on Hwy 43? Lots of activity going on over there now. Is it residential or more business development?
I agree that a bridge would make it a lot more accessible. If they're going to do this I think if would make sense to make it bike friendly. It just makes sense to allow more active people more access to a park for them to run and bike.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM

I walked around the Willow St area this afternoon. Matthew certainly didn't bring as much water in as did Floyd, but there is still flooding in the most northern end of Eastern and Warren Sts., as well as in part of Wyndham Circle. The building closest to the River at Ashton Woods apartments still has standing water surrounding it, as well as in its interior. The entire bottom floor of that building will have to renovated again (if it's allowed to remain).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina