Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM

286 posts, read 653,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
So I have to ask if Greenville really needs a place that will basically be a glorified bus station?
Nope

Quote:
With their classrooms a considerable walking distance from the closest downtown street, I can't see ECU buses being a part of this.
Not to mention that the students don't want the riff-raff on their buses. They have made that clear.

Quote:
An ECU shuttle service for visitors, maybe, along with an airport shuttle and a hospital shuttle. I do see a small need for this, but not to the extent being planned.I have to wonder aloud if the city is pushing this mainly for the reason that a big project can be built downtown with the city being on the hook for only 10% of the startup cost?
That's part of it, but not all. This is (asst. city manager) Thom Moton's baby. He needs to be able to build his resume too!

Quote:
But I'll play along here.
This 5 word sentence is the problem with most of Greenville's residents.

Quote:
How big does this center need to be?
About the size of the old bus station next to Pugh's.

Quote:
How many blocks will it take up?
More than 1/4 of a block would be too much

Quote:
If the blocks surrounding Hams was too close for pedestrians' comfort as ECU claims, and the bankruptcy court taking most of the empty lot between the library and the Cupola building, will the corner of Dickinson and Reade be big enough to accommodate buses or will they simply line up along 8th and Dickinson?
Not only will they line up on Dickinson, but along most other streets too. Along with this, the idiots in planning are reducing Evans to 2 lanes and proposing that we reduce Reade to 2 lanes as well.

Quote:
Why not choose to go halfway and buy out Marathon and the Thai (for now) restaurant and use that block?
Why buy land for something so pointless?

Quote:
I read where the city asked BB&T if they would consider moving (they declined).
Wise businessmen (wish they were running our city).

Quote:
If that lot is big enough, wouldn't Evans/Reade/8th (the Marathon block) be adequate?
The little lot on the corner of Reade/Dickinson that's outside the PD gates would be adequate. Just add a lane (OH NO THE HORROR!!!) for the buses to stop and load people.

Quote:
The city has stated that the current use of Reade just north of 4th for bus service has been successful, so why not consider the ECU parking lot on the west corner of 4th and Reade (which hopefully would complement a parking garage on 4th and Cotanche) for the intermodal center, especially if ECU does end up building their own rumored parking garage?
Things that makes sense =/= things the Greenville city government does

Quote:
I don't know, maybe I just don't get the importance or urgency of this.
Don't feel bad that you can't see something that doesn't exist in the first place.

Quote:
If the city just wants to keep people out of the weather and offer them a bite to eat, why not just renovate Hams, make it a bus stop on the downtown route, and let cabs and shuttles park in the lot?
Even that's too large, but it really isn't a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
You really broke it down for me, Frisch! Thanks! Haha!

And when I said play along here, I meant here on CD. Not so much in real life. Clearly I like progress, but I cannot get my head around the intermodal center need.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Is there a set spot for the Intermodal center yet? After the area near 10th and Cotanche was axed, I didn't see any definite plan for it. The only possible (other) reason I see to make it more western, is to put it closer to the railroad. So maybe in the future, if we do get rail service, a train station can be added on.

But we really do need a centralized place for public transportation. We have basically a shelter as the main drop off place near 3rd and Reade. Taxis don't have a designated area for pickups, and kind of hang out in between 5th and 4th on Reade during the weekends. Greyhound's pick up is in the Jolly Roger on 14th.

ECU weekend drop off buses use the same pick up area on 3rd and Reade. It is about the same distance to the general area of the Intermodal Center.

Does it need to be big? Of course not. But, there should be the option to grow, if it is needed. One only needs to look at the wastewater treatment plant near the Airport. Building that completely stopped the ability to expand Runway 15.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Is there a set spot for the Intermodal center yet? After the area near 10th and Cotanche was axed, I didn't see any definite plan for it. The only possible (other) reason I see to make it more western, is to put it closer to the railroad. So maybe in the future, if we do get rail service, a train station can be added on.

But we really do need a centralized place for public transportation. We have basically a shelter as the main drop off place near 3rd and Reade. Taxis don't have a designated area for pickups, and kind of hang out in between 5th and 4th on Reade during the weekends. Greyhound's pick up is in the Jolly Roger on 14th.

ECU weekend drop off buses use the same pick up area on 3rd and Reade. It is about the same distance to the general area of the Intermodal Center.

Does it need to be big? Of course not. But, there should be the option to grow, if it is needed. One only needs to look at the wastewater treatment plant near the Airport. Building that completely stopped the ability to expand Runway 15.
Last known site option discussed was where the bankruptcy court is going to be. The court will not consume that entire empty lot, but most of it. I imagine the remainder will be 1-1.5 acres. The initial discussions stated the city wanted a restaurant and rentalable offices inside the building, so they're looking to go somewhat big, then there's the buses and their ample size. If they're worried about hooking up with rail in the future, why not wait until we get rail to build something so large? Because of the federal and state government dollars that dominate the project? Why not use a temporary site like Hams or that Thai restaurant across the street (Lord knows it'll be out of business soon, if it isn't already. Nothing works there!)? They're not going to bring rail through the town proper. At least I hope not!

I thought the existing Greyhound station is on Dickinson at or next to the fried chicken restaurant? And the cabs are going to park where their customers are - near the bars, which is good because it helps keeps drunks from behind the wheel and off the streets as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
I don't really see why this station is such a bad idea. Lots of people still travel by bus. A city the size of Greenville should not have a bus station that is a gas station.

I don't see why Greenville shouldn't have something as nice as the Bus station in Durham.

Why not place the station on the parcel of land highlighted in the pic? It's right beside the police station, a fairly central location downtown, and would encourage pedestrian traffic in the Dickinson area. It could also connect easily to the 10th street connector once that is finally built. I think it makes sense to connect the local, regional, and national bus lines in one place. Might even be able to set something up with the railroad nearby to get passenger rail. It would still set up pretty nicely to have the Park & Ride system for Amtrak located there.

I mean even Wilson has an actual transit building...Don't see why Greenville has to settle for a Gas station or a chicken joint!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Last known site option discussed was where the bankruptcy court is going to be. The court will not consume that entire empty lot, but most of it. I imagine the remainder will be 1-1.5 acres. The initial discussions stated the city wanted a restaurant and rentalable offices inside the building, so they're looking to go somewhat big, then there's the buses and their ample size. If they're worried about hooking up with rail in the future, why not wait until we get rail to build something so large? Because of the federal and state government dollars that dominate the project? Why not use a temporary site like Hams or that Thai restaurant across the street (Lord knows it'll be out of business soon, if it isn't already. Nothing works there!)? They're not going to bring rail through the town proper. At least I hope not!

I thought the existing Greyhound station is on Dickinson at or next to the fried chicken restaurant? And the cabs are going to park where their customers are - near the bars, which is good because it helps keeps drunks from behind the wheel and off the streets as well.
Oopes, its Trailways that is located at Jolly Roger. Greyhound is off of Dickinson.

There is a 1 acre lot to the northwest of the Bankruptcy Court. So maybe it would be there? I am not sure how large it will be. If they can get retail inside, that is one thing.

The only thing I can think of, with possible rail, would be this. They maybe purchase the land northeast of Dickinson and the railroad, to add in a spur or something. Then an actual train station could be built, with a catwalk connector to the Intermodal Center, and Parking Deck, if that is there.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM

286 posts, read 653,279 times
I don't think this area is serviced by Trailways anymore. I guess the franchisee switched to Greyhound.

The building that housed the Greyhound/Trailways stop at the Jolly Roger has been knocked down... the only bus stop is next to Dickinson Fried Chicken. (and I never see buses nor people waiting there, so...)

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I don't really see why this station is such a bad idea. Lots of people still travel by bus. A city the size of Greenville should not have a bus station that is a gas station.

I don't see why Greenville shouldn't have something as nice as the Bus station in Durham.

Why not place the station on the parcel of land highlighted in the pic? It's right beside the police station, a fairly central location downtown, and would encourage pedestrian traffic in the Dickinson area. It could also connect easily to the 10th street connector once that is finally built. I think it makes sense to connect the local, regional, and national bus lines in one place. Might even be able to set something up with the railroad nearby to get passenger rail. It would still set up pretty nicely to have the Park & Ride system for Amtrak located there.

I mean even Wilson has an actual transit building...Don't see why Greenville has to settle for a Gas station or a chicken joint!
I've thought about Pitt and Bonner, over to Clark (but no further) too, and that would be a fine location if the city wanted a basic transportation station that could one day be tied into rail service. The city, however, wants a "destination" whether you're a traveler or not. In addition to catching a bus, a cab or a shuttle, other services desired by the planners are offices to be rented by private people or companies (lawyers, CPAs, property management, bail bondsmen, etc.), restaurants, a cafe, retail stores, and the like. They envision downtown employees walking here just for lunch, and people coming in to buy a Greenville t-shirt or ECU gear. If you google image search intermodal or multimodal center you'll see facilities with a lot of glass. Greenville needs a bus station, but its leaders want an over-sized trophy. Nobody is going to walk down to Pitt and Bonner from the courthouse or the Self Help building for lunch, so that location, while totally functional, will not accomplish the lofty goals of the city planners. A smaller version of they want (can the ideas of multiple restaurants and retail and go with one food counter and a merchandise kiosk) would probably look real nice where the current GPD parking lot is (which could also one day be tied to a possible rail stop) or where the Thai restaurant is on the corner of Reade and Evans. In my opinion, this center can be accomplished quickly if the city planners would get honest about how this thing will actually turn out in terms of usage.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
What apartment complex is being placed beside Treybrooke Apartments down by Brody School of Medicine?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
I've thought about Pitt and Bonner, over to Clark (but no further) too, and that would be a fine location if the city wanted a basic transportation station that could one day be tied into rail service. The city, however, wants a "destination" whether you're a traveler or not. In addition to catching a bus, a cab or a shuttle, other services desired by the planners are offices to be rented by private people or companies (lawyers, CPAs, property management, bail bondsmen, etc.), restaurants, a cafe, retail stores, and the like. They envision downtown employees walking here just for lunch, and people coming in to buy a Greenville t-shirt or ECU gear. If you google image search intermodal or multimodal center you'll see facilities with a lot of glass. Greenville needs a bus station, but its leaders want an over-sized trophy. Nobody is going to walk down to Pitt and Bonner from the courthouse or the Self Help building for lunch, so that location, while totally functional, will not accomplish the lofty goals of the city planners. A smaller version of they want (can the ideas of multiple restaurants and retail and go with one food counter and a merchandise kiosk) would probably look real nice where the current GPD parking lot is (which could also one day be tied to a possible rail stop) or where the Thai restaurant is on the corner of Reade and Evans. In my opinion, this center can be accomplished quickly if the city planners would get honest about how this thing will actually turn out in terms of usage.
I don't see why it still wouldn't be a good idea to place the intermodal center. The bankruptcy court is apparently going to be almost right across from that spot. They are trying to make improvements in the section of dickinson right across from that lot, so there would be some traffic once everything is built. I think they could definitely have a small cafe, maybe a shop or two.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/uploaded...P_May_2009.PPT

According to the original power point above, it doesn't seem like they want to have a million shops. It looks like a small, functional bus station. From what we are talking about, it seems as if our vision might actually be larger than the city's vision. I know these plans are years old, and they may have updated (but haven't released.) for a new space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina