Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
^Agreed. People here will not be willing to pay to park at these garages at first either, so I would suggest in filling the existing parking lots over time to make sure people don't have a choice but to park in the garage.
When the new garage opens, the city could take measures like: chain off small lots like the one on 4th/Evans (creating the possibility of new development on these lots), etc.; prohibit parking on 5th, thereby allowing buses to service 5th on the eastbound lane without interfering traffic; create a few more handicap spots on Evans; put meters on Evans to eliminate the advantage of parking there; temporarily let city buses use Reade from 5th St. northward until a decision is made on their permanent location; and no parking on the west side of Reade near Sup Dogs between 4th and 5th - let that be for deliveries in the daytime, and cabs and emergency vehicles at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
From the discussion we had months back about a downtown minor league baseball stadium: As much as I supported the idea of placing it between Pitt, Dickinson, and Atlantic, I've taken more of the mind to locate it on 10th, basically where the WilcoHess station is (but obviously consuming a much larger tract of land). I know the Ficklen warehouse isn't on par with the Durham or Baltimore warehouses and it's a bit cliche to have a warehouse as a ballpark backdrop, but I can envision the Ficklen warehouse as some part of the scenery, even if it's in foul territory. If we're going to be taking on a more progressive approach downtown, a cliche here and there may even help placate the old guard.

As far as the Pitt, Dickinson, Atlantic area: I have a thought that the area can be used to build a complex for Pitt County official offices, which are spread out across town. Perhaps it can include some state offices like the DMV, state troopers, etc. I can envision the sheriff's office having their own building/complex here and most of the others can be all in one or two buildings, with a few satellite buildings to complement and a small park-like area for lunch and breaks. This would consolidate a lot of offices spread out downtown in different small buildings (The tax collector and tax assessor are in two different buildings!) Plus the current Pitt office building could be made available to the medical community. (It can torn down, revert back to being in the fold of the hospital, be used as a part of the medical school, or purchased by another medical/hospitality company.) The old Atlantic warehouse land can be used as the main parking lot for the area (Who wants an office by the railroad tracks?), and Bonner St. and the dead end behind the current warehouse rubble can both be reconnected to Grande St. for additional access since apparently the new intersection of 10th and Dickinson will offer limited access (if any?). These are just some things I've thought about to make use of the area, maybe give a boost to the west end (in addition to a ballpark? please!), and also free up space in the current core of downtown to allow for more upward growth; and a side effect of allowing even more growth space for the hospital. Hell, maybe Vidant could build a parking garage of their own where the Pitt offices are if they re-acquired that property.

Also I'd like to have a dedicated, independent Veterans Park, rather than sharing space on the Town Common with that sun dial (or whatever that thing is). I'm not quite sure where I can envision it. I had a thought it could take a small spot on the strip of land between the library and Taff Office Equipment, but the found out that's where the bankruptcy court is supposed to be there. I just thought it would be nice to keep the Cupola Building in plain view, but I'm glad something definite will be there. Maybe a Veterans Park can still be managed on that land. I don't think the court is using the whole empty tract. I'm still going to think on a good spot for a Veterans Park, though. Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
It was built to hold two helo's at the same time, and can support the weight of Pedro, the Marine helicopter.

Someone had a serious hydro oil leak. It's that big spot in the front of the image. I hope they fixed it before whatever helicopter had the leak took off.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't know if it's a good idea to expand the bus service later into the night as long as these robberies keep happening. I don't have an answer to the robberies problem but they really need to get a handle on it.

No offense dude but that's just ridiculous.

Like I mentioned Boone has free buses running until 10pm and on weekends, with homeless folks and meth addicts all over town, yet Wautauga County has half the property crime rate as Pitt.

Quote:
^Agreed. People here will not be willing to pay to park at these garages at first either, so I would suggest in filling the existing parking lots over time to make sure people don't have a choice but to park in the garage.
Well yeah, it's all about incentivizing your target behavior. Reducing parking lot space is one part, but replacing those lots with new buildings and businesses is the second part. But like I said earlier- there's no countervailing anti-sprawl force like there is in Asheville, so encouraging downtown development is a bit of an uphill battle.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 08-09-2012 at 04:23 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
No offense dude but that's just ridiculous.
No it's not. Would you want to be the bus driver when some crackhead sees you coming and needs some money? There are 4 things I wouldn't want to do at night. Drive a bus. Drive a taxi. Work in a full service gas station. Deliver pizza.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
^Agreed. People here will not be willing to pay to park at these garages at first either, so I would suggest in filling the existing parking lots over time to make sure people don't have a choice but to park in the garage. I've always wondered if the hospital had its own garage by the emergency department? There's a building that looks like it has a ramp to park on its roof or something but I've never seen anyone drive up it before.

And speaking of Vidant, do you guys believe Winterville will ever get its own small hospital?

SN: Nevermind I looked up Google Streetview and saw vehichles parked on top of the building I was talking about. And I think Google Streetview has been updated.
The best I see (assume) about Vidant building something in Winterville (or south Pitt) is like an Urgent Care or another Minor Emergency Department. There are a lot of regulatory hoops to go through. I don't see them going through all that for a small hospital in South Pitt. Maybe something near the end of the Southwest Bypass? So it would a quicker drive to PCMH if they need the extra attention.

If there was on already there, it would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
From the discussion we had months back about a downtown minor league baseball stadium: As much as I supported the idea of placing it between Pitt, Dickinson, and Atlantic, I've taken more of the mind to locate it on 10th, basically where the WilcoHess station is (but obviously consuming a much larger tract of land). I know the Ficklen warehouse isn't on par with the Durham or Baltimore warehouses and it's a bit cliche to have a warehouse as a ballpark backdrop, but I can envision the Ficklen warehouse as some part of the scenery, even if it's in foul territory. If we're going to be taking on a more progressive approach downtown, a cliche here and there may even help placate the old guard.

As far as the Pitt, Dickinson, Atlantic area: I have a thought that the area can be used to build a complex for Pitt County official offices, which are spread out across town. Perhaps it can include some state offices like the DMV, state troopers, etc. I can envision the sheriff's office having their own building/complex here and most of the others can be all in one or two buildings, with a few satellite buildings to complement and a small park-like area for lunch and breaks. This would consolidate a lot of offices spread out downtown in different small buildings (The tax collector and tax assessor are in two different buildings!) Plus the current Pitt office building could be made available to the medical community. (It can torn down, revert back to being in the fold of the hospital, be used as a part of the medical school, or purchased by another medical/hospitality company.) The old Atlantic warehouse land can be used as the main parking lot for the area (Who wants an office by the railroad tracks?), and Bonner St. and the dead end behind the current warehouse rubble can both be reconnected to Grande St. for additional access since apparently the new intersection of 10th and Dickinson will offer limited access (if any?). These are just some things I've thought about to make use of the area, maybe give a boost to the west end (in addition to a ballpark? please!), and also free up space in the current core of downtown to allow for more upward growth; and a side effect of allowing even more growth space for the hospital. Hell, maybe Vidant could build a parking garage of their own where the Pitt offices are if they re-acquired that property.

Also I'd like to have a dedicated, independent Veterans Park, rather than sharing space on the Town Common with that sun dial (or whatever that thing is). I'm not quite sure where I can envision it. I had a thought it could take a small spot on the strip of land between the library and Taff Office Equipment, but the found out that's where the bankruptcy court is supposed to be there. I just thought it would be nice to keep the Cupola Building in plain view, but I'm glad something definite will be there. Maybe a Veterans Park can still be managed on that land. I don't think the court is using the whole empty tract. I'm still going to think on a good spot for a Veterans Park, though. Any thoughts?
You have read my mind completely. A ballpark located at Dickinson, Ficklin, 9th, Washington/Evans, and 10th would be ideal, in my book. The first thing a person would see as they cross over the new 10th St bridge would be this. That would be a great statement for Greenville.

I agree completely about a consolidated place for local and state government agencies uptown. I have even looked into it. Like the DMV Driver's License Office and DMV Vehicle & License Plate Renewal are in two different places (Memorial and 10th St). That would bring more daytime workers to the uptown area, plus make it easier for residents to receive services they need. And I assume that the old PCMH building is very inadequate for their needs. But since I am not a government employee, I haven't stepped inside. I thought though, that the blocks of 5th, Greene, 3rd, and Pitt would work for the county/state offices. So almost all government offices would be near. And it would remove the Pughs blight uptown.

I am sure ECU and PCMH could use the land vacated by the County of Pitt. ECU is planning on starting a School of Public Health. One can assume they would need a new building for this. They are running out of room on the land they have.

I also think there should be something greater for the Vets of Pitt County. I would love like a mini Moore/Nash Square (like in Raleigh), for this. But we don't really need a whole block for it. Or maybe on the block of 10th, Evans, 9th, and Washington. Have a nice park there, with the ball park surrounding it. To the east would be the new Business/Education Academic Building. To the south would be all of the warehouse stuff ECU is planning. That would look good coming into uptown.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM

77 posts, read 150,865 times
Quote:
And speaking of Vidant, do you guys believe Winterville will ever get its own small hospital?
Um... no. Not when there is a 850 bed level 1 trauma/cardiovascular/children's/cancer medical center 5 miles away. You might get a clinic or *maybe* an urgent care after 5-10 years and a doubling in the Winterville population, but let's be reasonable here.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
My thought/hope for the warehouse district.
  • The purple areas are in the ECU master plan
  • The yellow areas are projects that are going to occur
  • The brown areas are possible/hopeful projects.
  • The orange area is the Ficklen Warehouse
  • The green area is the park I mentioned, maybe a Vets Park. Just a thought

That would indeed bring a lot of other redevelopment through there.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM

As much as I really hate saying it, maybe Greenville needs to follow New York City's lead and install their high tech, state of the art, surveillance system.

NYPD Unveils Crime- And Terror-Fighting ‘Domain Awareness System’ « CBS New York

Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
My thought/hope for the warehouse district.
  • The purple areas are in the ECU master plan
  • The yellow areas are projects that are going to occur
  • The brown areas are possible/hopeful projects.
  • The orange area is the Ficklen Warehouse
  • The green area is the park I mentioned, maybe a Vets Park. Just a thought

That would indeed bring a lot of other redevelopment through there.
A live music venue akin to the Norva in Norfolk, like 750-1000 cap which brings in national touring acts would probably do really well too. There's nothing like that east of Raleigh; back in my touring days we almost never played NC unless we were coming back down from Richmond through to Atlanta because Raleigh and Chapel Hill were so far away.

Those venues bring in more established acts with older fanbases with more disposable income who tend to make it an overnight trip- meaning hotels, restaurants, and shopping. Plus it'd draw from the entire region east of Raleigh, not just the local metro, similar to minor league baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina