Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Winslow Pointe has broken ground on Hooker Road at the intersection with Ridge Pl.

Winslow Pointe Facebook release

Community Mgr. job listing

Funding

Interested to see how yet more development in the floodplain affects downstream flooding of Green Mill Run. The problems at/near 14th and Charles will only get worse.
Great to see more projects being built...............Poor Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM

The South Tar River Greenway Phase 3 - from the Town Commons to the med school is going forth. It will be an 1.4 mile addition, with a 60ft bridge and 1,400ft boardwalk.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I found where the new bankruptcy court will be located!

1900 Reade Circle, which is the former Pirates Landing apartment complex. The target completion date/occupancy date is the last day in 2013, with a 15 year lease.

http://i.imgur.com/FuXOV.jpg

Link
Is that adjacent to the library?
Nice to find validation of the rumor. Good job!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Is that adjacent to the library?
Nice to find validation of the rumor. Good job!
Yeah, across the road. Hopefully the rest of that block will be razed and cleaned up. In between this, the Intermodel Center and GO-Science center, hopefully this area will start to be revamped. If so, the area east of there could be back filled with....better stuff.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
those guys need to learn how to spell "acreage."

Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM

From councilman Mercer's newsletter, to be discussed at this Monday's meeting:

IN OTHER BUSINESS
--Parking Deck. (Monday, item 16) Staff will present several possible parking deck locations that can be further explored. The top two presented by staff, based on stated criteria, are: (1) corner of Pitt, Fourth, and Greene and (2) corner of Pitt, Fifth, and Greene.

Personally, I'm not a fan of parking being located right on the main streets, so I'm more in favor of the 4th St. location of a parking garage. I think there should also be one just east of the courthouse area, which actually may be a more effective place to have a parking garage.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
Carl (MrBoj here) finally supports something that involves people actually parking downtown! I see in today's DR that he is in favor of the parking garage.

Way to go Boj! You have some common sense after all. Maybe enough to comprehend that projects like the Evans St gateway do nothing but prevent cars from getting to the garage to begin with.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Is that why MrBojangles always has such juicy information, because he's part of city council or something?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
He has to be Carl Rees or at least someone in the planning office.

The fact that he supports the cockamamie crap that Carl comes up with points to Carl specifically.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Councilman Mercer:

"We are moving ahead on an Uptown Parking Deck, although there were disagreements on some aspects.* The vote to move ahead was 5-1, with Councilmember Blackburn dissenting.

Councilmember Blackburn felt that since we had just been given staff's list of six possible sites, we should delay for a month to get more input.* I voted with Councilmember Blackburn's amendment to seek for one month input from the public and other entities on the six sites.* That amendment failed, but as I indicated the main motion, which I voted for, passed.

This is a big, important project, which will require a lot of money to build and maintain.* It is critical that we follow a process that ensures the best site possible.* I expressed concern that the Council was being asked to pick two sites for further study.* In my view, the choice of a site should entail unbiased professional analysis of technical aspects such as costs, traffic patterns, proximity to businesses, and so on.

However, a majority of the Council wanted to move ahead now and the two sites chosen for further study were:* (1) corner of Cotanche and Fourth (the Moseley lot owned by the city), and (2) the ECU lot on Cotanche and Fourth (NE corner lot).

I am pleased that previous Councils have given us a good start on funding by setting aside 1.7 million.* However, the project will still be expensive and we should proceed prudently.

I have talked with people who have expertise in parking decks in a number of NC cities.* Here are some of the issues in other cities and that we want to be aware of:* many people who favor decks don't want to park in them but hope that others will thereby opening up on-street parking, decks are often quickly labeled unsafe and crime ridden, citizens sometimes want a deck but then balk at what it takes to pay for them, some cities have to install parking meters on the street to entice people to use the deck.

Economic Development Officer Carl Rees said, in response to my question, that he had received no input on the location from anyone other than staff, GUC, and ECU officials."

It's good to see the council understands where business is done downtown. East of the courthouse is the best place for a parking garage. The council is thinking right on this and it's good to see there's a small down payment already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina