Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times

Advertisements

Is it me or does Greenville seem to be getting more and more transportation projects green lit lately? I swear it has felt like we never get new roads & now over the past few years there seems to be a number of major roadway projects for the area. Much needed & excited to see all these new roads develop over the next 10 years.

The Allen Rd. expansion is much needed, I might actually use the road once it's completed...i currently try to avoid it if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Is it me or does Greenville seem to be getting more and more transportation projects green lit lately? I swear it has felt like we never get new roads & now over the past few years there seems to be a number of major roadway projects for the area. Much needed & excited to see all these new roads develop over the next 10 years.

The Allen Rd. expansion is much needed, I might actually use the road once it's completed...i currently try to avoid it if possible.
Not just you. Greenville (and eastern NC in general) is finally getting much needed projects done.

Last edited by LM117; 08-10-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 03:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Brunch bill up for vote tonight at the city council meeting. Should pass easily in this town...

I know developers frequently ask for re-zoning requests, but there's a couple of interesting one up for debate tonight. The owners of the property on the SW corner of 5th & Holly Sts. want to go larger. Currently two traditional apartment buildings sit there, one of them is Sycamore Hill Apartments, the other building is the one you can see off in the distance up 5th St if you're sitting on the deck of Sup Dogs. I can visualize a multi-story complex with a partially submerged one-level parking garage underneath (or surface lot under an elevated building) on that corner. Definitely a prime location for student residential units, steps away from downtown. The other multi-family request for Bayswater off of Firetower is of note as well. I'm sure every major developer has some kind of interest in Bayswater. Great location.

From the DR:

The Council will consider an ordinance allowing alcohol sales after 10 a.m. Sunday. The option became available after the legislature approved a bill in June allowing the Sunday morning sales. The bill included a provision requiring local municipalities to pass their own bill to allow the sales. Many cities throughout the state have already approved a ordinance in support of it, but Greenville did not have City Council meetings during the month of July to vote on it.

The council will be considering several other items:

- Ordinance requested by Big East Properties to rezone 0.5322 acres located at the*northwestern corner of the intersection of East Fifth Street and South Holly Street from*residential, high density multi-family to office-residential high density multifamily.

- Ordinance requested by Happy Trail Farms and Jack Jones Allen to rezone 19.632 acres*located along the southern right-of-way of Regency Boulevard and the western right-of-way of*the Seaboard Coastline Railroad from residential to office zoning.

- Ordinance requested by LOPRO LLC to rezone 1.566 acres located at the northeastern corner of the intersection of West Third Street and New Street from residential high density multifamily and downtown commercial fringe) to Downtown Commercial.

- Ordinance requested by POHL LLC to rezone 1.209 acres located at the northeastern corner of the intersection of East 10th Street and Port Terminal Road from neighborhood commercial to general commercial.

- Ordinance requested by POHL LLC to rezone 5.083 acres located about 300 feet south of Bayswater Road and adjacent to Dudley’s Grant Townhomes from general commercial) to office/residential high density multi-family.

- Amendment of the City of Greenville Citizen Participation Plan for the Community Development Block Grant and HOME Programs.

- Resolution Requesting the Greenville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Adopt the Draft Comprehensive Transportation Plan Highway Map.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Greenville Council approves brunch bill

Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

Well the two large projects currently under construction (SW bypass and 10th St connector) were number #1 and #2 on the local TIP list TWENTY YEARS AGO.

So what's happening is all of the other smaller projects, like Firetower, Evans, etc...also have to be done because of Greenville's growth over the last 20 years.

The State changed the formula for funding and high volume traffic projects are now front and center...if a road has capacity issues, it will get funding. And when you have two lane thoroughfares in the middle of your 10th largest city (and no interstates), you have capacity issues.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:57 PM

112 posts, read 136,433 times
It looks like "Campus Corner" at 5th and Cotanche has been turned into an office.

Blackbeard Roasters hopes to open by August 28th.

Work should begin on the Uptown Theatre in the next week or 2.

Pitt Street Brewing will probably open late August to early September.

StillLife renovations are starting to really take shape. They should re open in september.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 PM

378 posts, read 419,400 times
http://prntscr.com/g7u7f9

http://prntscr.com/g7u80s

http://prntscr.com/g7u8bd

http://prntscr.com/g7u8hp

I'm just leaving these here for my plans if they are gonna put an interchange there.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Brunch bill up for vote tonight at the city council meeting. Should pass easily in this town...

I know developers frequently ask for re-zoning requests, but there's a couple of interesting one up for debate tonight. The owners of the property on the SW corner of 5th & Holly Sts. want to go larger. Currently two traditional apartment buildings sit there, one of them is Sycamore Hill Apartments, the other building is the one you can see off in the distance up 5th St if you're sitting on the deck of Sup Dogs. I can visualize a multi-story complex with a partially submerged one-level parking garage underneath (or surface lot under an elevated building) on that corner. Definitely a prime location for student residential units, steps away from downtown. The other multi-family request for Bayswater off of Firetower is of note as well. I'm sure every major developer has some kind of interest in Bayswater. Great location.

From the DR:

The Council will consider an ordinance allowing alcohol sales after 10 a.m. Sunday. The option became available after the legislature approved a bill in June allowing the Sunday morning sales. The bill included a provision requiring local municipalities to pass their own bill to allow the sales. Many cities throughout the state have already approved a ordinance in support of it, but Greenville did not have City Council meetings during the month of July to vote on it.

The council will be considering several other items:

- Ordinance requested by Big East Properties to rezone 0.5322 acres located at the*northwestern corner of the intersection of East Fifth Street and South Holly Street from*residential, high density multi-family to office-residential high density multifamily.

- Ordinance requested by Happy Trail Farms and Jack Jones Allen to rezone 19.632 acres*located along the southern right-of-way of Regency Boulevard and the western right-of-way of*the Seaboard Coastline Railroad from residential to office zoning.

- Ordinance requested by LOPRO LLC to rezone 1.566 acres located at the northeastern corner of the intersection of West Third Street and New Street from residential high density multifamily and downtown commercial fringe) to Downtown Commercial.

- Ordinance requested by POHL LLC to rezone 1.209 acres located at the northeastern corner of the intersection of East 10th Street and Port Terminal Road from neighborhood commercial to general commercial.

- Ordinance requested by POHL LLC to rezone 5.083 acres located about 300 feet south of Bayswater Road and adjacent to Dudley’s Grant Townhomes from general commercial) to office/residential high density multi-family.

- Amendment of the City of Greenville Citizen Participation Plan for the Community Development Block Grant and HOME Programs.

- Resolution Requesting the Greenville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Adopt the Draft Comprehensive Transportation Plan Highway Map.

All ordinances passed unanimously. Now let's wait and see if any plans for development come out of these changes.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 AM

I'll be honest here. I don't like the quadrant turns planned for Bells Fork. I think the plan is flawed, has some holes, will alienate certain businesses (like Rite Aid and Speedee), and will encourage drivers to cut through grocery store parking lots, taking short cuts to traffic signals or a closer right turn location. I dislike this plan so much I created my own proposal. I'm not going to spell it out here, but if you're interested in an alternative idea, please read my blog entry. If the link doesn't work, just click my name and click on blog. Thank you!

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...-proposal.html

Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Council to appoint new member, award stormwater contract - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina