Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The eastern end is fine until about the Mills Rd intersection, the Southern section is all wrong. It should turn at that point and run south of Worthington Rd between Winterville and Ayden and connect just north of Ayden. There is no reason to run it south to 102...102 should be south of Greenville's loop.

It is baffling that an MPO would come up with this, there is no traffic data to support such a southern route and little to no development in that area. The bypass of Ayden should just be considered an upgraded Highway 11 bypass of Ayden, not part of the Greenville loop.
I agree. The MPO got a bit too ambitious with that plan. The out of the way routing of the southern half sorta reminds me of the western half of the I-275 beltine around Cincinnati.

IMO, I think the only part that stands a chance of being built relatively soon (or at least gain the most support) is the section linking US-264 to US-13 as part of the proposed Kinston-Bethel interstate. Upgrading the current US-13 interchange is a no-go due to the surrounding businesses, particulary Patheon. A new location interchange will definitely be needed there. I think Greenville should push for that section first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:07 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
all i know is just about every road on that map shows 'Needs Improvement".

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
I have a few proposals to improve our town, but not many ideas in regards to raising revenue. I’d like for you all review it, and suggest proposals. With Former Mayor Allen Thomas a tremendous amount of progress was made, but I’d say that such progress was to bring us to the level of our competitors, not necessarily looking to be a bold city, of bold ideas — we must change that. That being said, I do hope we can all have a dialogue on what improvements can be made to this set of policy proposals (and especially raising revenue) for I am considering a run for a public office in Greenville within the next decade.

Much of these proposals rely on coordination with local businesses, ECU, Vidant, and surrounding counties. I am aware of fiscal constraints facing many of these proposals, but again, we must be bold. I do believe if we are to set a bold agenda for people to rally behind, we can seek to raise additional revenue from the State and Federal government to fund part of our agenda, but also, our community would be willing to pay just a little more to make what many people see as a boring community into something that is nationally recognized as a great place to do business, to work, to play, and to live.

Making Greenville A Leader

Social

•Setting an agenda to end long-term homeliness

•Creating a Pitt County resident only portal for the LGBTQ+ community to congregate and use available public spaces

•Business grants to encourage healthy restaurants to open

•Better Promoting our Annual Restaurant Week

•Promoting grants to organizations that are working with the community

•Lower voting age in local elections to 16 years old

Infrastructure and Transportation

•Review the feasibility of “Free Bus Days” for the “GREAT” bus system to promote ridership, reduce traffic throughout the city, and lower carbon-emissions

•Expanding the “Greenway” bike-trail system

•Connecting sidewalks throughout the city

•Increase beautification throughout the city, and especially at city gateways

•Review feasibility of an Inland Port in Farmville to transport locally made goods to the State Ports of North Carolina

•Commission study on a Uptown Convention Center or rather a “Uptown Annex” with a circulator bus running between the original and Uptown sites would be feasible

Crime

•Within city-limits, employers are not allowed to ask for a credit-check nor do applicants have to inform employers if they’re felons or not.

•Promoting additional grants and resources towards programs that advocate youth development

•Implementing a ‘Summer Youth Job Program’

Business

•In coordination with ECU, create more incubator space for small business (especially technology)

•In coordination with ECU and the State of North Carolina, advocate for ECU to create a concentration in aerospace engineering

•In coordination with the Global Transpark of Kinston and ECU, develop a special partnership between ECU,

•In coordination with ECU, create a Tax Increment Tax District in the “West End” to accelerate ECU development of the upcoming ‘Millennium Campus’

Government

•Create a regional government/authority between Pitt, Lenior, Wilson, and Beaufort County to address, as a collective, regional interests, business coordination between the counties, expense allocation towards building attractions, and creating a ‘common area’ for businesses

Revenue

•Increase Pitt County sales tax by .25 to bring it up to 2.50%

Wellness

•In coordination with local businesses, set-up an annual drive to donate bikes to residents below the the poverty line

•In coordination with Vidant and ECU/Brody Medical School, study the feasibility of a “Healthy Greenville” wellness and prevention program targeted at low-income families

•In coordination with Vidant, seek to open another Wellness Center in Greenville

Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM

192 posts, read 281,246 times
social

•setting an agenda to end long-term homeliness. Be more specific

•creating a pitt county resident only portal for the lgbtq+ community to congregate and use available public spaces. Why can't they use public spaces the same way the rest of the community uses public spaces. This seems to create more division.

•business grants to encourage healthy restaurants to open. No. Taxation is theft

•better promoting our annual restaurant week no taxation is theft, this only benefits restaraunts

•promoting grants to organizations that are working with the community no. Taxation is theft

•lower voting age in local elections to 16 years old. I dont see how this would help anything. In fact, i think it would hurt as these are kids that are more likely to vote based on feelings instead of voting based on what is fair as they have yet to experience "the real world".

infrastructure and transportation

•review the feasibility of “free bus days” for the “great” bus system to promote ridership, reduce traffic throughout the city, and lower carbon-emissions. No taxation is theft, this is a public service that is already costing taxpayers money.

•expanding the “greenway” bike-trail system. While i would love this personally. no. taxation is theft

•connecting sidewalks throughout the city. No taxation is theft

•increase beautification throughout the city, and especially at city gateways No. taxation is theft

•review feasibility of an inland port in farmville to transport locally made goods to the state ports of north carolina

•commission study on a uptown convention center or rather a “uptown annex” with a circulator bus running between the original and uptown sites would be feasible No. taxation is theft. we have a convention center already that was just updated if i recall

crime

•within city-limits, employers are not allowed to ask for a credit-check nor do applicants have to inform employers if they’re felons or not. Absolutely!

•promoting additional grants and resources towards programs that advocate youth development. No. taxation is theft

•implementing a ‘summer youth job program’ No. taxation is theft, the youth are free to experience the job market by applying for jobs

business

•in coordination with ecu, create more incubator space for small business (especially technology) no taxation is theft. Reduce regulation to allow for more small business. I.e. Look at local and microbreweries which are a result of deregulation

•in coordination with ecu and the state of north carolina, advocate for ecu to create a concentration in aerospace engineering no taxation is theft ecu is free to create what programs they see will attract students. They don't need free money to do this. In fact, free money will make the programs less accountable.

•in coordination with the global transpark of kinston and ecu, develop a special partnership between ecu, No. taxation is theft

•in coordination with ecu, create a tax increment tax district in the “west end” to accelerate ecu development of the upcoming ‘millennium campus’ please explain.

government

•create a regional government/authority between pitt, lenior, wilson, and beaufort county to address, as a collective, regional interests, business coordination between the counties, expense allocation towards building attractions, and creating a ‘common area’ for businesses No. taxation is theft

revenue

•increase pitt county sales tax by .25 to bring it up to 2.50% No. taxation is theft No. taxation is theft No. taxation is theft

wellness

•in coordination with local businesses, set-up an annual drive to donate bikes to residents below the the poverty line. This sounds great but is something the public should coordinate and no taxation is theft

•in coordination with vidant and ecu/brody medical school, study the feasibility of a “healthy greenville” wellness and prevention program targeted at low-income families no taxation is theft. If throwing tax money at medical organization improved health the health in the us would not be so obissmally terrible. This is another reason why obamacare is not improving the health of the us. It allows for only healthcare that the government deems necessary and removes the free market from choosing the healthcare of thier choice. The result is more use of expensive reactive, emergency medical intervention instead of conservative cost effective healthcare because the people dont are the product not the customer.

•in coordination with vidant, seek to open another wellness center in greenville[/quote] no taxation is theft. Vidant is a private business that should not receive special treatment in the way of tax funded support. My office does more to get people off of dangerous pharmaceutical drugs than vidant i receive not government help. In fact, despite consumer desires to avoid drugs and surgery it is harder for patient to utilize my services because of government intervention like this.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:30 PM

378 posts, read 419,262 times
http://prntscr.com/gd1dgm

They should at least do something like this.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
http://prntscr.com/gd1dgm

They should at least do something like this.
Yeah.. Uh... We were aware of the proposed routing of the southeast leg of the Greenville Beltline before we bought the house that we're in now. We carefully avoided any properties that were near the proposed road. Your redesigned route puts our house directly in the way of the road. Find another route please.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:55 PM

378 posts, read 419,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yeah.. Uh... We were aware of the proposed routing of the southeast leg of the Greenville Beltline before we bought the house that we're in now. We carefully avoided any properties that were near the proposed road. Your redesigned route puts our house directly in the way of the road. Find another route please.
http://prntscr.com/gd3pxa

These are the only feasible routes that I can find if they are gonna make the southern leg of the beltline. Otherwise, they may as well go south to Ayden.

I would love to see how your alternatives would be like.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
social

•setting an agenda to end long-term homeliness. Be more specific

•creating a pitt county resident only portal for the lgbtq+ community to congregate and use available public spaces. Why can't they use public spaces the same way the rest of the community uses public spaces. This seems to create more division.

•business grants to encourage healthy restaurants to open. No. Taxation is theft

•better promoting our annual restaurant week no taxation is theft, this only benefits restaraunts

•promoting grants to organizations that are working with the community no. Taxation is theft

•lower voting age in local elections to 16 years old. I dont see how this would help anything. In fact, i think it would hurt as these are kids that are more likely to vote based on feelings instead of voting based on what is fair as they have yet to experience "the real world".

infrastructure and transportation

•review the feasibility of “free bus days” for the “great” bus system to promote ridership, reduce traffic throughout the city, and lower carbon-emissions. No taxation is theft, this is a public service that is already costing taxpayers money.

•expanding the “greenway” bike-trail system. While i would love this personally. no. taxation is theft

•connecting sidewalks throughout the city. No taxation is theft

•increase beautification throughout the city, and especially at city gateways No. taxation is theft

•review feasibility of an inland port in farmville to transport locally made goods to the state ports of north carolina

•commission study on a uptown convention center or rather a “uptown annex” with a circulator bus running between the original and uptown sites would be feasible No. taxation is theft. we have a convention center already that was just updated if i recall

crime

•within city-limits, employers are not allowed to ask for a credit-check nor do applicants have to inform employers if they’re felons or not. Absolutely!

•promoting additional grants and resources towards programs that advocate youth development. No. taxation is theft

•implementing a ‘summer youth job program’ No. taxation is theft, the youth are free to experience the job market by applying for jobs

business

•in coordination with ecu, create more incubator space for small business (especially technology) no taxation is theft. Reduce regulation to allow for more small business. I.e. Look at local and microbreweries which are a result of deregulation

•in coordination with ecu and the state of north carolina, advocate for ecu to create a concentration in aerospace engineering no taxation is theft ecu is free to create what programs they see will attract students. They don't need free money to do this. In fact, free money will make the programs less accountable.

•in coordination with the global transpark of kinston and ecu, develop a special partnership between ecu, No. taxation is theft

•in coordination with ecu, create a tax increment tax district in the “west end” to accelerate ecu development of the upcoming ‘millennium campus’ please explain.

government

•create a regional government/authority between pitt, lenior, wilson, and beaufort county to address, as a collective, regional interests, business coordination between the counties, expense allocation towards building attractions, and creating a ‘common area’ for businesses No. taxation is theft

revenue

•increase pitt county sales tax by .25 to bring it up to 2.50% No. taxation is theft No. taxation is theft No. taxation is theft

wellness

•in coordination with local businesses, set-up an annual drive to donate bikes to residents below the the poverty line. This sounds great but is something the public should coordinate and no taxation is theft

•in coordination with vidant and ecu/brody medical school, study the feasibility of a “healthy greenville” wellness and prevention program targeted at low-income families no taxation is theft. If throwing tax money at medical organization improved health the health in the us would not be so obissmally terrible. This is another reason why obamacare is not improving the health of the us. It allows for only healthcare that the government deems necessary and removes the free market from choosing the healthcare of thier choice. The result is more use of expensive reactive, emergency medical intervention instead of conservative cost effective healthcare because the people dont are the product not the customer.

•in coordination with vidant, seek to open another wellness center in greenville
no taxation is theft. Vidant is a private business that should not receive special treatment in the way of tax funded support. My office does more to get people off of dangerous pharmaceutical drugs than vidant i receive not government help. In fact, despite consumer desires to avoid drugs and surgery it is harder for patient to utilize my services because of government intervention like this. [/quote]

I read your original post suggesting your positions aren’t popular; I assume you’re suggesting taxation to pay for X, Y, or Z isn’t popular. Anywho, though we have many philosophical disagreements regarding how to grow our great town, I do appreciate the feedback and hope to hear more voices making suggestions to the aforementioned policy policy propels.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
I don't even know if it's legal federally to allow 16 year olds to vote. Either way that is asinine. If anything the voting age needs to be raised.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don't even know if it's legal federally to allow 16 year olds to vote. Either way that is asinine. If anything the voting age needs to be raised.
One cannot lower the federal voting age, but for local jurisdictions one can lower it. Explain why it’s asinine? 16-yo’s probably wouldn’t vote still, but regardless us young folk make up a relatively large portion of the population yet we are represented. I am 24 years old, it should be embarrassing that Greenville doesn’t give a damn to hear the young population while boasting on about being a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina