Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times

Advertisements

There is the NC East alliance. NCEast Alliance | Growing Eastern North Carolina . Alliances in Eastern NC can be tricky right? What's really the incentive for these towns to work together?

Why would Wilson want to contribute something to Greenville when that's just another reason people would want to leave Wilson for Greenville, losing valuable tax money and population numbers? Is Greenville really happy for Kinston getting a minor league team? Or do u think Greenville officials see all the potential $$$ they're missing out on that could go to their restaurants and shops and boost their own economy? Why would Washington contribute to the Mum Fest in New Bern, when they need all the money they can to make their Washington Summer Festival successful?

It would be great for these towns to work together, if it means people just stay in those towns, instead of moving to be closer to those amenities. It's really hard for these towns to all row together when they all have holes in their boats with water coming in and they have to focus on keeping their own boat afloat.

Small alliances could/should be possible. I think the Greenville / Kinston and Greenville / Washington could work well together. Unfortunately Eastern NC's economy does not lend itself to sharing. Unless something could be worked out where these towns get kickbacks on their investments, it's going to continue to be difficult to do things as a group.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-29-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I mean I genuinely don't think any alliance is going to work. I remember a few years ago Washington and Greenville leaders met and talked about something but I don't think anything ever became of it.
I wonder if that’s because a lack of engagement or because a lack of consensus? I’ll annoy Washington if need me into have another conference to build an alliance.

Also, what state regulations are in place that restrict or make it difficult to build fiber lines in cities?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
There is the NC East alliance. NCEast Alliance | Growing Eastern North Carolina . Alliances in Eastern NC can be tricky right? What's really the incentive for these towns to work together?

Why would Wilson want to contribute something to Greenville when that's just another reason people would want to leave Wilson for Greenville, losing valuable tax money and population numbers? Is Greenville really happy for Kinston getting a minor league team? Or do u think Greenville officials see all the potential $$$ they're missing out on that could go to their restaurants and shops and boost their own economy? Why would Washington contribute to the Mum Fest in New Bern, when they need all the money they can to make their Washington Summer Festival successful?

It would be great for these towns to work together, if it means people just stay in those towns, instead of moving to be closer to those amenities. It's really hard for these towns to all row together when they all have holes in their boats with water coming in and they have to focus on keeping their own boat afloat.

Small alliances could/should be possible. I think the Greenville / Kinston and Greenville / Washington could work well together. Unfortunately Eastern NC's economy does not lend itself to sharing. Unless something could be worked out where these towns get kickbacks on profits, it's going to continue to be difficult to do things as a group.
I understand your concerns, and doubts into why towns would cooperate with such an alliance. For one, ideally speaking, I’m not truly interested in an alliance for that’s a compromising position but rather a government to manage growth, manage our respective parks, pooling funds together for attractions, managing and merging our respective utilities companies, and etc. As stated a few posts back, I’m using Portland, OR as a model for this government I speak of but as I’ve read post here, I realize it’ll be difficult to form such a government and therefore I’ll be interested in bolstering this “NC East Alliance” and strengthening its mission.

If Pitt and and any combination of willing participants from Lenoir, Greene, and Beaufort Counties could work together, I’ll be happy with that. We all have common interests, but I fear conservative voices in the community would drown out such a proposal and fear that it’s big government as opposed to a legal binding agreement to manage the common interests of each other.

Letter: A Vision For A Better Greenville. In this Op-Ed I am highlighting the need for the regional government.

http://www.reflector.com/Letters/201...reenville.html

Last edited by BMORE; 08-29-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
All things considered, Greenville is definitely in a good spot as the hub of Eastern NC.

Just counting the county populations of. Greenville & all of the counties that border it have over 550,000 people. That doesn't even include counties like Nash, Bertie, & Washington (and others) that use Greenville as their closest option to retail, restaurants, and entertainment.

(2015 estimates)

Pitt 175,842
Beaufort 47,651
Craven 103,451
Lenoir 58,106
Greene 21,134
Wilson 81,714
Edgecombe 54,150
Martin 23,357
Total: 565,405

Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM

111 posts, read 148,854 times
Basically, New Bern is a prettier place, has a historic waterfront downtown, is growing rapidly, has a bigger airport with more flights, a Future Interstate itself, access to a major port in Morehead, etc. etc.

But like others said, not much incentive for either to work with one another. Just saying, New Bern has much, much more going for it than Wilson or Kinston.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
Basically, New Bern is a prettier place
This is subjective. Downtown, yes.

Every time I enter New Bern on 55 I feel like I've time warped to the 1970s.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
All things considered, Greenville is definitely in a good spot as the hub of Eastern NC.

Just counting the county populations of. Greenville & all of the counties that border it have over 550,000 people. That doesn't even include counties like Nash, Bertie, & Washington (and others) that use Greenville as their closest option to retail, restaurants, and entertainment.

(2015 estimates)

Pitt 175,842
Beaufort 47,651
Craven 103,451
Lenoir 58,106
Greene 21,134
Wilson 81,714
Edgecombe 54,150
Martin 23,357
Total: 565,405
Wilson and Nash counties are outside the orbit of Pit County/Greenville, and more or less aligned with themselves or Raleigh. That being said, I still hope we can build a meaningful relationship with Wilson, even if they’re not part of our alliance or the future regional government we hope to set-up. The entire goal of this government, as I’ve mentioned previously, is to work in concert with each other to make each one of our places much better and to attract businesses, as a collective, to our region.

I hate to make this comparison for they’re much larger than us, but Beijing is creating a mega-city called Jing-Jin-Ji — each city of this mega city understands their role. One is cultural, one is manufacture, one is government. Greenville should be the cultural and educational capital of East Carolina, Wilson and Kinston share the title of manufacting capital, and we’ll find something to do with the remaining cities and counties. As of now, Greene, Lenoir, and Beaufort County’s seem within the orbit of Pitt County to one extent or another, and will be a relatively easy sell to this government, but I would say Wilson is needed because of I-95.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:04 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Quote:
But like others said, not much incentive for either to work with one another. Just saying, New Bern has much, much more going for it than Wilson or Kinston.
Tick Bite has more going for it than Kinston.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM

What does everyone think of creating a “food hall” in Uptown Greenville? Of course this wouldn’t be a city-funded building, but I want to know as a private citizen.

https://www.eater.com/2015/3/5/81052...ce-city-market

Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM

111 posts, read 148,854 times
Are we ever going to get an update on the Hilton uptown / alumni center project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina