Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times

Advertisements

At-Large candidate seeks to fill gap in city leadership - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2016.pdf

I saw this and they were talking about widening Greenville Blvd to eight lanes from Memorial Dr to Charles Blvd and six lanes from Charles Blvd to US 264. (Or even keep it four lanes)

First Option: Widen to eight lanes from Memorial Dr to Charles Blvd. Widen to six lanes from Charles Blvd to US 264.

Second Option: Widen to six lanes from Memorial Dr to US 264.

Third Option: Retain it four lanes and make improvements.

They were also proposing to make Evans street and Greenville blvd from an intersection to an interchange. (Or keep it an intersection)

And they were also considering to turn the existing intersection: (Greenville Blvd at 14th street) to a quadrant roadway with grade separation.

I like the first and second option. Third option won't help much in my opinion.

And yes, I do think Evans and Greenville blvd need an interchange. During rush hour, The lights are way tooo long and traffic waits to turn left from southbound Greenville blvd south to southbound Evans St.

This is my opinion for the interchange.
http://prntscr.com/fxvu9n
Nice the State is finally trying to address inadequate infrastructure...lets pray this doesn't turn into a 30 yr project like they did Independence Blvd in Charlotte.

My understanding is that when the State changed their formula for building roads a few years back, they didn't realize that roads like Gville Blvd and College Rd in Wilmington would go right to the top of the list based on inability to handle existing traffic. They thought it would just determine Interstates being built in the major urban areas. My understanding was that College Rd improvements (some currently being done right now) were the top priority under the new rating system. I'm sure Gville Blvd ranks right up there (with no ability to bypass it (like College in Wilmington)).

I like the 14th St grade separation idea, keeping traffic moving. I don't see how the Evans intersection is going to be feasible. How about just getting four lane of Evans and six lane of Gville Blvd and get rid of the suicide lanes in the middle by adding medians and controlling left turns. And any plan needs to significantly address the 10th St intersection which is by far the most dangerous intersection in the City. If there was ever a place for an interchange it is that intersection. Build an overpass of Gville Blvd and ramps for 10th St access, similar to Market/College in Wilmington as your access into Gville. This could also function as the entry to a limited access corridor going over the bridge, connecting to I-587 interstate access later. Perfect for getting traffic to and from an interstate into Gville

Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM

378 posts, read 419,021 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/FireT...cale_ROLL1.pdf

And this, I don't like the quadrant roadways of the intersection Charles and Arlington. They will have two of them...

They will suck... Unless they will double the left turn lanes to help a bit. I hate having to loop around a quadrant roadway to just make a left turn.

*Firetower and Portertown widening*

Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Heather King transitions to new role at WITN

Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Wonder who will replace her. Most of the other anchors on channel 7 have this dry bitchiness about them. It would be off-putting for early morning news.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 AM

Filing ends with two more Greenville candidates - Daily Reflector

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 AM

More changes in works as part of Fire Tower-Portertown project - Daily Reflector

Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Interesting information in that article. I'm not sure about this though:

"The initial design would start a new road starting at Fire Tower through an undeveloped stretch of land near Basil’s Restaurant and AMC Fire Tower 12 that connects with Turnbury at Arlington Boulevard. Signal lights would be at either end of the road."

Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Well, I think it could work in that area. It's hell trying to turn left going either way in that area on Arlington near Firetower. It will also finally put a light in front of the turn for the movie theater. It's really bad trying to turn left after leaving the theater onto Firetower. If they could sync all the lights in that area up during this process, that would make for a much more enjoyable experience overall. I"d much rather have a light there to dictate when to turn, than to rely on everyone else to be sensible before trying to get on Firetower.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Well, I think it could work in that area. It's hell trying to turn left going either way in that area on Arlington near Firetower. It will also finally put a light in front of the turn for the movie theater. It's really bad trying to turn left after leaving the theater onto Firetower. If they could sync all the lights in that area up during this process, that would make for a much more enjoyable experience overall. I"d much rather have a light there to dictate when to turn, than to rely on everyone else to be sensible before trying to get on Firetower.
Movie theater has needed a traffic signal for 15 years, needs it even more with Walmart and now Lidl in the area. I'm not sure if it needs to be hooked up to Turnbury, but that couldn't hurt. They also need to make it impossible for drivers to attempt to shoot straight across Arlington from Bojangles/Wendy's over to ABC/Walmart entrance. It's an incredibly stupid maneuver, yet it's done by idiots daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina