Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 07:04 PM

18 posts, read 25,262 times

Advertisements

I was told that the store beside Marshalls will be a Home Goods not Michaels...and it was a done deal. Interesting to see that it says Michaels. Espically because Michaels already as a nice space in that shopping center. Still very excited about all the new stores coming to town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Greenville City Council accepts Mayor resignation

Mayor Thomas is down to his final days. Kandie Smith will be the acting Mayor until August, maybe for the rest of Thomas' term if the council approves her as the interim Mayor until a new Mayor is elected in November. I hope she sticks to limiting herself to only performing procedural moves. Not a fan of her...

Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

Mayor Thomas is down to his final days. Kandie Smith will be the acting Mayor until August, maybe for the rest of Thomas' term if the council approves her as the interim Mayor until a new Mayor is elected in November. I hope she sticks to limiting herself to only performing procedural moves. Not a fan of her...
Didn't she get herself arrested a while back?

Old 06-27-2017, 06:51 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
^^ So basically nothing of substance will happen for the next few months...I hope.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM

112 posts, read 136,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

Yikes... Yeah, I don't think many people care too much for her.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Didn't she get herself arrested a while back?
On purpose, yes. For loitering. Made it a point to hang around an area where the police were trying to keep people from congregating. They gave her about ten minutes worth of opportunities to move along. She declined, got arrested. No one was impressed. After months of her whining, charges were dropped.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
I wonder who else will step up to run against Mercer. Not sure which would be worse...Mercer or Smith or Blackburn. I don't see any of these individuals doing any good to progress the city.

With that said, how much does the mayor really do? I was under the impression that Mayor Thomas did about 90% more than the typical mayor does. I know they break a tie in votes on the council, but is the city counsel more important than the mayor? Thoughts?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:25 PM

52 posts, read 96,937 times
The old Los Charos Mexican Restaurant and recently the South American restaurant (formerly Perkins) that I mentioned the other day - with the fence around it - has been demolished. Wonder what's going there?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I wonder who else will step up to run against Mercer. Not sure which would be worse...Mercer or Smith or Blackburn. I don't see any of these individuals doing any good to progress the city.

With that said, how much does the mayor really do? I was under the impression that Mayor Thomas did about 90% more than the typical mayor does. I know they break a tie in votes on the council, but is the city counsel more important than the mayor? Thoughts?
The position has always seemed largely ceremonial until Thomas came in. The city manager and council are the ones who call the shots. Here is the city org char:

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=11476

Old 06-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
The old Los Charos Mexican Restaurant and recently the South American restaurant (formerly Perkins) that I mentioned the other day - with the fence around it - has been demolished. Wonder what's going there?
Speaking of demolition, they started tearing down the old gas station today at Fire Tower and Arlington to make room for the Harris Teeter Fuel Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina