Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You gotta have a couple hundred thousand for kickbacks and bribes.
duh...I should have figured that into my calculation. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Or the difference could be attributable to engineering and administration fees that any construction project can incur. I would imagine a design fee would be about 5 percent, maybe more.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
In case anyone has missed it, Pirate Fest is this weekend in Greenville!!

Piratefest - Greenville NC:

Weather should be perfect on Saturday for this!

I know many times they have hosted it along with the Pirate Purple/Gold Game, and I think it makes the event feel bigger. It seems they have switched it up and put it the week before the Purple/Gold game.

I think Pirate Fest has been a really good thing for Greenville. It definitely gets people downtown and . I would extend the live music to 10pm. Really make it an all day event.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM

145 posts, read 266,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
In case anyone has missed it, Pirate Fest is this weekend in Greenville!!

Piratefest - Greenville NC:

Weather should be perfect on Saturday for this!

I know many times they have hosted it along with the Pirate Purple/Gold Game, and I think it makes the event feel bigger. It seems they have switched it up and put it the week before the Purple/Gold game.

I think Pirate Fest has been a really good thing for Greenville. It definitely gets people downtown and . I would extend the live music to 10pm. Really make it an all day event.
I think it will just take two or three years for downtown to improve more and then I can see PirateFest being a big event for Greenville. All downtown needs is a couple more higher density buildings and they need to update some shops and then it will be a lot better! With all the new things being built downtown, it won't be long before it becomes a popular place. I think that it helps people get downtown and see the new improvements, restaurants, shops, etc. that Greenville has made and that should help people to not think of downtown being "boring" or "unsafe".

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Greenville, NC Named a Top Ten City of the Future

Greenville is listed as the #10 Overall Micro City of the Future, #8 Micro City for Human Resources, and #8 Micro City for FDI Strategy. Greenville is ranked in the Micro Cities category, which includes cities with populations under 100,000.

fDi Magazine is from the Financial Times, which means a lot. Obviously someone thinks we are doing well. I am trying to find the rest of the list, but its under subscription walls

email : Webview : Greenville, NC Named a Top Ten City of the Future

Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
It's a good thing they did it now. Greenville won't be able to make that list soon as the population should pop up over 100,000 in a year or two, maybe 3.

It's just more proof that Greenville has it going on.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
With the upcoming groundbreaking of the Go-Science Center, the Greenville Times (available and free in various places like convenience stores) is running a story of how ECU almost had a planetarium built on campus in the early '70's. Some pre-funding was in place, donations were made, and there appeared to have a strong momentum in place to move forward. Ultimately, the costs were underestimated and officials in Raleigh denied the plan's approval. There's no record of where the collected funds and donations were redirected to, but it's believed to have gone towards the medical school. The planetarium would have been located in the area behind Wendy's and the Baptist Student Center, which is a small parking lot for the library now. Interesting to think how the campus' growth plan would have been altered if the planetarium had been built. Perhaps there would be science classrooms along 10th St, instead of Wendy's, Kinko's, the parking office, and that lovely sardine can that I suppose was last a Mexican restaurant, although I've never, ever (in 25 years!) seen one person going in or out of that place. I do remember that someone about 8 or 9 years ago had drawn up renderings of a planetarium as part of a plan to convert the warehouses that ECU owns on 10th St. (across from the food bank) into a science complex. I think the school still plans on converting the warehouse into science classrooms, but I don't think a planetarium is in the works. The Go-Science Center will not have one either, but it would attract more visitors if it did.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
With the upcoming groundbreaking of the Go-Science Center, the Greenville Times (available and free in various places like convenience stores) is running a story of how ECU almost had a planetarium built on campus in the early '70's. Some pre-funding was in place, donations were made, and there appeared to have a strong momentum in place to move forward. Ultimately, the costs were underestimated and officials in Raleigh denied the plan's approval. There's no record of where the collected funds and donations were redirected to, but it's believed to have gone towards the medical school. The planetarium would have been located in the area behind Wendy's and the Baptist Student Center, which is a small parking lot for the library now. Interesting to think how the campus' growth plan would have been altered if the planetarium had been built. Perhaps there would be science classrooms along 10th St, instead of Wendy's, Kinko's, the parking office, and that lovely sardine can that I suppose was last a Mexican restaurant, although I've never, ever (in 25 years!) seen one person going in or out of that place. I do remember that someone about 8 or 9 years ago had drawn up renderings of a planetarium as part of a plan to convert the warehouses that ECU owns on 10th St. (across from the food bank) into a science complex. I think the school still plans on converting the warehouse into science classrooms, but I don't think a planetarium is in the works. The Go-Science Center will not have one either, but it would attract more visitors if it did.
That was back in the days when Chapel Hill basically auto-denied everything we thought would be beneficial. If people who are East Carolina and/or Eastern North Carolina fans really knew how much Chapel Hill did to undermine us, there would be a heck of a lot less "baby blue" in the east.

There's no telling how many people, subject to that human frailty which causes us to sometimes doubt laws of cause and effect, consider something which happened on or about March 7 a result of the solar eclipse.
For us at East Carolina University, it could well be the fact of a gift of $100,000 for a planetarium, presented to us on the morning of the eclipse day.
We are reassured, however, by logicians in our Department of Philosophy that there is no connection. The gift was a direct result of deliberate human planning -- and generosity.
The interest and concern of the people at the American Credit Corporation Foundation of Charlotte are what caused them to plan the gift. The nature of the gift dictated that eclipse day would be highly appropriate for the presentation.
Along with a check, the foundation gave us a challenge to raise another $200,000 to pay for a $300,000 facility. And so we have begun.
Dr. Floyd Mattheis, chairman of the Science Education Department, tells us that plans are shaping up nicely and that a tentative construction date of about 12 months from now has been set. Of course, a go-ahead for construction depends entirely on the time it takes to raise $200,000. Dr. Mattheis says he and his fellow faculty members are already working hard to raise the money.
Some may question the reasoning behind construction of a planetarium at East Carolina. Aside form the fact that our gift so stipulated, there are other sound reasons.
We think of the planetarium primarily as a giant tool for the education of our sons and daughters. Dr. Matthies, pointing up the immediate value of such a tool, says that some 2,000 students at ECU will be immediately and directly involved with studies at the planetarium when it is completed. In addition, the planetarium will serve as a valuable and fascinating means of introducing the wonders of astronomy to thousands of elementary and high school pupils and the general public in Eastern North Carolina.
When completed, the ECU planetarium will compare favorably with the facilities in Chesapeake and Newport News, Va. It will not be as large as the renowned facility at Chapel Hill; but there is no other planetarium within 100 miles of Greenville.
We believe the educational value of such a tool is justification enough for its existence. And if that tool can double as a servant to the needs and interest of the community, then its existence cannot be decried.
In summary, all of us at ECU and the people at the American Credit Corporation Foundation, are convinced that construction of a planetarium on our campus will yield a value much higher than the sum of $300,000.
We would be pleased to know how the public -- our stockholders -- feel about this important project. I take this opportunity to invite your comments. These may be addressed directly to the president's office at East Carolina.

ECU Archives - Photograph Collection

ECU Archives - Photograph Collection

Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I figured the "competition" against the Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill was in play for ECU's denial. I went to a planetarium in Pa. when I was a kid. It leaves a lasting impression, that's for sure. Hopefully, a plan for a Greenville/ECU planetarium will again come into play.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM

If any of you have a Daily Reflector subscription, can you please post the full text of the story that goes with this rendering of 5th & Contanche?! Thank you!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina