Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times

Advertisements

The State of North Carolina stole our mayor. I honestly feel that the great progress that Greenville has made over these last 6 years can be wholly, and completely, attributed to the efforts of Mayor Allen Thomas. Who knows what happens now...

Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas resigning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The State of North Carolina stole our mayor. I honestly feel that the great progress that Greenville has made over these last 6 years can be wholly, and completely, attributed to the efforts of Mayor Allen Thomas. Who knows what happens now...

Happy for AT and a little nervous about who will follow him. He's done an excellent job leading Greenville and having him in a larger role with a broader scope for ENC isn't a bad thing. I think he'll continue to be a friend to Greenville. It is imperative that his replacement is cut from a similar mold.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Man - so sad this morning to see Mayor Thomas step down. We have seen so much growth & development during his time here. I knew it was a matter of time for him, but it hurts to see him go to the GTP. That place has been a money pit since it was created. Maybe he can finally do something worth while over there.

This next election will be very important for Greenville, I hope some good candidates step up for the city. I'm not sure there is a single person currently on the city council that I want to be mayor.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

Well, that came out of left field. He'll be a tough act to follow for sure. Seems like a good guy based on what I've seen, read and heard. I hope he has luck at the GTP. He's gonna need it there.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Man - so sad this morning to see Mayor Thomas step down. We have seen so much growth & development during his time here. I knew it was a matter of time for him, but it hurts to see him go to the GTP. That place has been a money pit since it was created. Maybe he can finally do something worth while over there.
I've always said from the beginning that the GTP would've been more successful if the idiot state officials in 1991 had the sense to make sure there was infrastructure in place to support it (besides just a runway) before opening the GTP.

But yeah, I agree that it's been a money pit. I hope he can turn the GTP around, especially now that eastern NC has finally been getting attention from the state after being neglected for years, particularly regarding highway and rail infrastructure.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:54 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
If he can turn around that place, watch out Governorship or Senate.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If he can turn around that place, watch out Governorship or Senate.
Thomas certainly has proven to be a dogged advocate for Greenville/ENC/NC. If anyone can put the GTP in a position to actually succeed, it's him.

I feel for Greenville, though. The new Mayor will have a tough act to follow...

Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Thomas certainly has proven to be a dogged advocate for Greenville/ENC/NC. If anyone can put the GTP in a position to actually succeed, it's him.
Indeed, especially now that there are plans to inprove the infrastructure, such as upgrading US-70 to I-42 and connecting the railroad at GTP to the Port of Virginia. Only thing remaining is getting NC-11/US-13 between Kinston and Bethel designated as an interstate spur of I-87, giving interstate access to Hampton Roads. Thomas will have something to work with.

I think one of his biggest challenges is trying to eliminate the negative stigma that's surrounded the GTP for 20+ years.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
The radio antenna has been removed from the Town Commons...looks better already...

Publix is a nice looking store. K-Mart going out of business is the best thing that could have happened to that shoppiong area.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM

13 posts, read 19,174 times
The Kangaroo gas station beside Fitness Connection on Charles Blvd has been closed and there are dump trucks and bulldozers tearing things down in front. I asked one of the employees in Fitness Connectuon what it was going to be and she said it was going to be another gas station called Handee Hugo's. I've never heard of it before.

This may have already been mentioned but what is being built beside the Champions gym on fire tower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina