Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times

Advertisements

Wow, that brick does look impressive! Definitely will enhance the look of the area once it's done.

--------------------

Greenville still looking to develop north of the river.

Greenville works toward north of river development

I have no problem with them wanting to develop north of the river. However, something has to happen to make sure the businesses and homes won't just be flooded again the next time a big storm comes through. I would guess giving incentives and making sure each developed lot would be built up at least 10 ft with dirt first to prevent flooding could be an option.

I wonder if putting something like a large scale amphitheater (10,000) could be an option. I would imagine that it could be built up with berms to withstand flooding. With the GUC operations center moving in a couple of years, that could be a prime spot for a development of that nature.

You're going to have to figure something out with the flooding. Maybe building levees closer to the river or around the area you want to develop so that it keeps the area dry? Otherwise, I don't see many businesses that will want to move there. Especially any business that would bring in a lot of people. Maybe enough for a small business hub to service the needs of the area (drugstore, laundromat, supermarket, a couple of restaurants, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:34 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
Seems like a drugstore could work out at the Easy Street shopping center (Food Lion). Then they'd have real grocery as well as medication. It's more than Bethel has.

Other than that, they need to let it go. It's a floodplain.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
I cant recall if Greenville has a north of the river plan...if it doesn't it should. I agree with Ms. Smith that development should be encouraged...however...

It should not be encouraged in the floodplain...and Greenville's past land use plans expressed this with significant reduction of density in the floodplain. The bridge she refers to is bigger than just the Greene Street bridge, it stretches about a mile north of the Tar River. This should be green space...as evidenced by last falls flood.

GUC's move out is an example of what should be happening...you already have the airport, lets add more Green Space near it, more trees...lets get rid of the public housing in the floodplain and move it to higher ground. Lets develop residential areas off of the 264 bypass (NW) where there is available land and infrastructure....creating more of a commercial node near the 11 interchange with a drug store, a small Wal-Mart among other things.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:04 AM

455 posts, read 528,625 times
This gives an aerial view of just north of the tar river during Matthew. https://weather.com/news/news/north-...e-after-photos

If the city is going to develop the area it needs to have a plan in place and specific code for how new structures should be built. For example, office space could have first floor parking to act as stilts in the event of flooding:

New housing should follow suit in the style of low lying coastal regions. Think Mount Pleasant, Charleston, or any other coastal area:

Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 AM

192 posts, read 281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSchaef View Post
It's also fairly expensive. A lot of dishes around ~$12. When I think of southern comfort food, I'm expecting a lower price tag. But haven't tried it yet.
Mr. Tim's is pretty inexpensive in my experience and the portion sizes are huge. We usually drive out once a week since my wife is from texas and it reminds her of home. But the location will likely be its downfall.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
They're putting on a brick window look to the base of the 10th St bridge. Hopefully they'll use them for public art...

Looks great!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 PM

155 posts, read 235,326 times
Curious - and sorry if this is a repeat, what is being done with that land they're logging across from Patheon where the wreck was today with the log truck and car? Is there a new industrial company going in?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:42 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Image of the ECU Main Campus Student Center

ECU previews new student center on main campus | News | theeastcarolinian.com

Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Groundbreaking held for expansion of Ronald McDonald House in Greenville

Staff and supporters of the Ronald McDonald House of eastern Carolina in Greenville broke ground Wednesday on a 10,000 square foot expansion to the house.

The addition will feature two new bedrooms and two family suites.

The new space will also provide an expanded kitchen and dining room, new laundry and family gathering rooms, as well as a new children's play area.

The house serves more than 500 families a year, but turns away nearly 100 due to lack of space.

Since opening in 1987, the Ronald McDonald House has supported 26,617 families from 53 counties in NC.

The expansion is expected to be finished in the spring of 2018.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 19,193 times
I haven't seen this mentioned on this thread yet but there is another restaurant coming to uptown. It's called Ford and Shep. It's being opened by the executive chef from Villedge, so I suspect the food will he be great. They have a Facebook page. The address is 718 Dickinson ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina