Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I don't know much about Ann Wall, but just reading her resume, she sounds like a solid hire. I just hope she didn't have anything to do with that bathroom bill mess in Charlotte.
I saw in the press release where it said she helped manage Charlotte FD and Charlotte PD. Hopefully she can get GFR and GPD in good shape. I know that GFR is behind in terms of stations and staffing based on the Council meeting they had in December. I feel like both Departments got left behind in all of the growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I don't know much about Ann Wall, but just reading her resume, she sounds like a solid hire. I just hope she didn't have anything to do with that bathroom bill mess in Charlotte.
I don't think so. Mayor Jennifer Roberts was the one that pushed heavily for that ordinance and made a lot of enemies on both sides of the aisle because of the BS that resulted from it.

Even if Ann did have a say-so in it, she would have to be brain-dead to bring up the issue again in Greenville, especially with the GOP in control of the General Assembly and the fragile HB2 repeal that was passed in March. I doubt the city council would go along with another similar ordinance and risk having HB2 happen again. There shouldn't be anything to worry about...at least as of now.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Lidl opened this morning.

Lidl grocery stores in Greenville, Kinston & Rocky Mount open for business

Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Anyone go?

My wife was going to go but we were not impressed with their circular. Lots of obvious knock offs of name brand stuff.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Well, they mainly only carry their own brand foods, like Aldi, so you won't see many name brand items there. That's part of how they keep costs down. I'll tell you though, I've tried a lot of things from Aldi and 9 out of every 10 things I try taste just as good as the name brand item I usually buy...some stuff my kids like better.

There was a line wrapped around the building this morning so I'd say day 1 was successful for a grocery store.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Meh. Bring on Publix!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Wow,

There's a LOT going on the last couple of days. Losing AT is big. I feel like he's looking for a new challenge, and trying to get paid for his hard work. I had no idea being Mayor of Greenville wasn't a fully paid position. As instrumental and as hard working as AT has been, it's amazing he only received a small stipend. I mean the new new city manager is going to be making 190k, I assumed that being a mayor would make enough to at least raise a family with, even if it's an elected position. I believe i read somewhere that he only got a 10k stipend for the entire year. I know in a recent interview, AT said that the biggest piece missing from this region was an airport. I believe he's going to try to turn the airport in Kinston into that regional airport, along with trying to improve the GTP. The replacement is going to be a crucial position. I feel like AT is leaving about 2 years earlier than he should because there's still a lot of work done.

------

Glad to hear that the theater is FINALLY getting started. I swear it's been 5+ years in the making just to get to this point. It makes complete sense to double book bands so they play in Raleigh on a Friday and Greenville on Saturday.

-----

I've seen pics of the inside of Lidl, and it really does look like a fancier Aldi. It always interests me when "off brands" are complained about, yet people flock to Trader Joes which is nothing but off brands. I guess it's marketed as an "store exclusive" brand. I am sure it will do well here and in other cities.

-----

This Farmer's & Makers market seems pretty interesting. I might have gone with a different name, but it is what it is. But I love how these empty buildings are filling up on Dickinson. Maybe a burger joint/sports bar could go down there next.

------

One final thought. I've been checking the Wood Ducks attendance this year. They are barely averaging 2,000 fans. About the same amount of fans they averaged before leaving Kinston. I can't help but believe that attendance would be higher in Greenville than in Kinston. I hope that something can be done soon about getting a CPL team in Greenville.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 PM

The Greenville mayor position is a very weak position. It's largely ceremonial. AT was a businessman with good contacts and a good repor with the council.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Wow,

There's a LOT going on the last couple of days. Losing AT is big. I feel like he's looking for a new challenge, and trying to get paid for his hard work. I had no idea being Mayor of Greenville wasn't a fully paid position. As instrumental and as hard working as AT has been, it's amazing he only received a small stipend. I mean the new new city manager is going to be making 190k, I assumed that being a mayor would make enough to at least raise a family with, even if it's an elected position. I believe i read somewhere that he only got a 10k stipend for the entire year. I know in a recent interview, AT said that the biggest piece missing from this region was an airport. I believe he's going to try to turn the airport in Kinston into that regional airport, along with trying to improve the GTP. The replacement is going to be a crucial position. I feel like AT is leaving about 2 years earlier than he should because there's still a lot of work done.

------

Glad to hear that the theater is FINALLY getting started. I swear it's been 5+ years in the making just to get to this point. It makes complete sense to double book bands so they play in Raleigh on a Friday and Greenville on Saturday.

-----

I've seen pics of the inside of Lidl, and it really does look like a fancier Aldi. It always interests me when "off brands" are complained about, yet people flock to Trader Joes which is nothing but off brands. I guess it's marketed as an "store exclusive" brand. I am sure it will do well here and in other cities.

-----

This Farmer's & Makers market seems pretty interesting. I might have gone with a different name, but it is what it is. But I love how these empty buildings are filling up on Dickinson. Maybe a burger joint/sports bar could go down there next.

------

One final thought. I've been checking the Wood Ducks attendance this year. They are barely averaging 2,000 fans. About the same amount of fans they averaged before leaving Kinston. I can't help but believe that attendance would be higher in Greenville than in Kinston. I hope that something can be done soon about getting a CPL team in Greenville.
Don't believe that 2000 number. It's bloated. I went to a Monday night game where the announced attendance was almost 1300. I was sitting dead center, counted roughly 30 people in each of the three immediate sections in my area. No way that night's figure even approached 1000, let alone surpass it. I'm sure sold and unused tickets (box seats and giveaways) are part of the official count. Head count is much less.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM

38 posts, read 41,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Don't believe that 2000 number. It's bloated. I went to a Monday night game where the announced attendance was almost 1300. I was sitting dead center, counted roughly 30 people in each of the three immediate sections in my area. No way that night's figure even approached 1000, let alone surpass it. I'm sure sold and unused tickets (box seats and giveaways) are part of the official count. Head count is much less.
I've only been on weekends, but the turnout has always seems pretty good (Friday and Sunday). Not surprised it's much lower during the week.

It seems like a lot of minor league baseball teams are in really small towns and manage to stay afloat. I've been to much smaller areas that have had teams for decades. I'd like to think there would be better attendance in Greenville, but wouldn't expect it. If minor league teams only cared about attendance they would locate all teams in major metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina