Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 528,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Jim Ward owns the entire block at the southwest corner of 10th & Evans -- expect this scale to be built here once the connector is nearing completion or finished. Additionally Taft/Ward own 2 or 3 parcels in the stretch of neighborhood between the boundary and 10th street. I imagine they will work with ECU in the future to develop that into higher density/mixed use as well in accordance with ECU's campus master plan.

I'm curious to know if 11th street will be incorporated into the campus edge development. Taft/Ward own all parcels except the Theta Chi house on the south side of 11th street. Word on the street is they offered Theta Chi $500k for the house; an offer which was turned down and then countered with a $750k offer, which was accepted.

My guess is that 11th street will no longer be a through-access...
I have always thought that 10th street across from main campus could be so much more... like Hillsborough St across from NC State. The old Darryls lot, the small bank and small strip of stores would make for a nice development. I believe Brody owns much of that land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 25,655 times
Noticed today that they had put up fencing on memorial near the sheetz across from PCC. Any idea what is going in that location

Old 06-29-2015, 03:26 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I have always thought that 10th street across from main campus could be so much more... like Hillsborough St across from NC State. The old Darryls lot, the small bank and small strip of stores would make for a nice development. I believe Brody owns much of that land.
Brody makes $300 per semester per car off those parking lots (old Darryl's) and one of them is not even paved. The revenue it brings in has to be fantastic.

edit: Actually, he made $300 per car per semester when I parked there to go to ECU in 2007. I don't know how much it is now. Has to be more.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Quote:
Jim Ward owns the entire block at the southwest corner of 10th & Evans -- expect this scale to be built here once the connector is nearing completion or finished. Additionally Taft/Ward own 2 or 3 parcels in the stretch of neighborhood between the boundary and 10th street. I imagine they will work with ECU in the future to develop that into higher density/mixed use as well in accordance with ECU's campus master plan.

I'm curious to know if 11th street will be incorporated into the campus edge development. Taft/Ward own all parcels except the Theta Chi house on the south side of 11th street. Word on the street is they offered Theta Chi $500k for the house; an offer which was turned down and then countered with a $750k offer, which was accepted.

My guess is that 11th street will no longer be a through-access...
That would make sense, I think everytime I drive by that the block they announced for re-development was a littler smaller than I thought it should be for that type of development. If they get rid of that street & stretch it back to the old East Coast Music Building it would have plenty of room for a high end development.

Really excited about what Uptown will be in about 8-10 years. Ready for the 10th street connector to get started!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
That is all floodplain...and it flooded during Floyd in '99. Expensive to build it up. Parking lots make as much sense as anything really. Post Office/Bank could make some money if they moved, tore down the buildings and rented spaces.

Best use would be green space in conjunction with the Greenway and connect via the sewer gravity path to 14th Street. Or Nicer Parking and Greenway.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 AM

39 posts, read 71,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That is all floodplain...and it flooded during Floyd in '99. Expensive to build it up. Parking lots make as much sense as anything really. Post Office/Bank could make some money if they moved, tore down the buildings and rented spaces.

Best use would be green space in conjunction with the Greenway and connect via the sewer gravity path to 14th Street. Or Nicer Parking and Greenway.
Or raised buildings with parking underneath...

Interesting you mention the sewer/steam easement as a possible greenway connection. I've heard that was originally supposed to have been a part of the greenway system but residents of the Rock Spring neighborhood vehemently opposed it.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
That would make sense, I think everytime I drive by that the block they announced for re-development was a littler smaller than I thought it should be for that type of development. If they get rid of that street & stretch it back to the old East Coast Music Building it would have plenty of room for a high end development.

Really excited about what Uptown will be in about 8-10 years. Ready for the 10th street connector to get started!
And what is really exciting is the effect that these large housing developments hopefully will have on the neighborhood spanning from Evans to Charles to 14th to 10th. Including The Province, you would have two other huge housing complexes flanking this neighborhood. It could encourage investment in the area, which used to be a prime location for college kids to live (I recall big block parties) but has continued to go down. With the rental prices going up around the neighborhood, the owners of those houses can invest and raise their rents on the duplexes and bungalows. With its proximity to the athletic complex and Harris Teeter it could be prime rental property. The City should be doing something to encourage that investment....maybe name the neighborhood, organize a watch, apply for Historic status...not sure what has been done there.

Last edited by HP91; 06-30-2015 at 08:03 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Or raised buildings with parking underneath...

Interesting you mention the sewer/steam easement as a possible greenway connection. I've heard that was originally supposed to have been a part of the greenway system but residents of the Rock Spring neighborhood vehemently opposed it.
Raised buildings would be expensive with not much land to work with....you have riparian buffers along the creek and the existing buildings are probably out of compliance.

The Province may be against that section of the Greenway as well...if the City would have been smart, they could have required the Province to build it on their side of Green Mill Run...and leave out Rock Springs altogether.

Rock Springs folks are real smart...why build a path for college kids, etc... to get from 10th to 14th St when they can just walk through your neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM

52 posts, read 96,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paj0922 View Post
Noticed today that they had put up fencing on memorial near the sheetz across from PCC. Any idea what is going in that location
I'm anxious to see what's happening there/ going on there myself!!!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
Has anyone else noticed construction next to Sam's and behind the ABC store? It's a really strange construction site. It almost looked like they were adding to the ABC but I highly doubt that. It just seems weird because of the close proximity to the ABC store it doesn't seem like it's going to be anything separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina