Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

120 posts, read 229,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Has anyone seen this "grassroots" website about creating a Lake Greenville? The website advocates for the benefits about building a dam near Port Terminal.

I know I have personally thought about this. I think there would be many benefits. They call for the lake to have the same boundaries as the 100-year floodplain. That would basically remove most/all of the houses north of 1st St. But could you imagine the houses that would get replaced? HUGE lake houses. Plus the benefit the citizens would receive from having a lake to live and play on.

I looked for a map, but couldn't find a good one.

Lake Greenville, NC - Lake Greenville, NC - Home

I haven't had the chance to look into this proposal yet but am very interested. From what you are saying however, it sounds horrible on many different levels. Some of my major concerns:

This isn't very plausible: Who is going to fund such an expensive project? the City of Greenville, GUC? a Private Developer? or perhaps a collaboration of them all? I don't see the City of Greenville coming anywhere close to backing a project that might displace homes in Greenville- especially on the north side of town. That would send a terrible message.

Socially: If this does suggest an eminent domain case in an area where very low to moderate income families live, people would flip. Making families move because of a lake that would allow for private development around it?

Environmentally: I'm not even going to get into the migration of spawning fish breeds in the Tar, or the effect on the water temperature because of a dam or deforestation, or the displacement of wildlife that live in the floodplain.... BUT If this is attached to the Tar River, who knows what kind of environmental issues this would present. Furthermore if we are talking about a dam, they present many environmental hazards alone. If its a dug lake/pond out somewhere that has nothing to do with the Tar, that would be ok, but we are talking about a Tidal River. Which presents further questions for me.

Damming a Tidal River? Can tidal rivers even be dammed? The Tar becomes tidal in Greenville

Flooding: Dams are known to cause flooding, either where the dam is, or further down stream (once the dam is released). And from what i gather above, its also suggesting filling in the wetland with a lake, further causing flooding. The floodplain is where the floodwater goes, it would create further flood issues (likely in this low income area).

I'm sorry, I like how North Campus Crossing created the lake/beach. So something like that in a bigger scale would be ok, but this sounds detrimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
^ agreed that it would be far too costly & the environmental factors are absurd. Cool theoretical idea but for the amount of money that would need to be spent Greenville would be better off building a waterpark like Lion's Water Park in Kinston.

As much as the backwards people in Greenville have complained about the city spending money in uptown, no way they'd be for even a partial funding of this project.

What about utilizing that body of water where the big splash golf place use to be? Nothing has been done with that property since the golf place closed a long time ago.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
I haven't had the chance to look into this proposal yet but am very interested. From what you are saying however, it sounds horrible on many different levels. Some of my major concerns:

This isn't very plausible: Who is going to fund such an expensive project? the City of Greenville, GUC? a Private Developer? or perhaps a collaboration of them all? I don't see the City of Greenville coming anywhere close to backing a project that might displace homes in Greenville- especially on the north side of town. That would send a terrible message.

Socially: If this does suggest an eminent domain case in an area where very low to moderate income families live, people would flip. Making families move because of a lake that would allow for private development around it?

Environmentally: I'm not even going to get into the migration of spawning fish breeds in the Tar, or the effect on the water temperature because of a dam or deforestation, or the displacement of wildlife that live in the floodplain.... BUT If this is attached to the Tar River, who knows what kind of environmental issues this would present. Furthermore if we are talking about a dam, they present many environmental hazards alone. If its a dug lake/pond out somewhere that has nothing to do with the Tar, that would be ok, but we are talking about a Tidal River. Which presents further questions for me.

Damming a Tidal River? Can tidal rivers even be dammed? The Tar becomes tidal in Greenville

Flooding: Dams are known to cause flooding, either where the dam is, or further down stream (once the dam is released). And from what i gather above, its also suggesting filling in the wetland with a lake, further causing flooding. The floodplain is where the floodwater goes, it would create further flood issues (likely in this low income area).

I'm sorry, I like how North Campus Crossing created the lake/beach. So something like that in a bigger scale would be ok, but this sounds detrimental.
First off, this is some random person who created the website. Nothing no where close to even being officially talked about. But the site mentioned trying to entice a power company in hydroelectricity.

And ECU created that Lake beach thing, not North Campus.

The following PDF has some good stuff that could be tied into this convo http://tarriverlegacyplan.com/pdf/En...iderations.pdf

Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 AM

144 posts, read 189,933 times
Quote:
I agree it is a "wasted" block. But I don't remember hearing anything about them closing. There are many city blocks that need to receive the HOPEFUL same redevelopment.
I agree there are many city blocks that need to receive the hopeful same redevelopment, but First Street across from the Town Commons should be one of, if not the premier redevelopment location in the downtown area.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 AM

120 posts, read 229,151 times
Quote:
First off, this is some random person who created the website. Nothing no where close to even being officially talked about. But the site mentioned trying to entice a power company in hydroelectricity.

And ECU created that Lake beach thing, not North Campus.

The following PDF has some good stuff that could be tied into this convo http://tarriverlegacyplan.com/pdf/En...iderations.pdf

No, I know its not close to being official. I just think its super far fetched- So far that it could (or perhaps 'should' is a better word here) be a syfy plot in my opinion. Like I said, i didn't get a chance to look into the proposal. I just hate to hear when people propose dams or altering natural waterways ... it hits a nerve. I guess I generally feel the same way about wetlands too. No offense to this project, or the idea of it, but thats why I replied in the manner I did.

And I didn't know who created the North Campus Crossing beach- I was just using it as an example. I would support something like that... Like Grimesland has done with some of their subdivisions. They are really nice.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I agree there are many city blocks that need to receive the hopeful same redevelopment, but First Street across from the Town Commons should be one of, if not the premier redevelopment location in the downtown area.
That block would be perfect for a hotel that had meeting facilities and a restaurant. What Greenville really wants is at least 2 hotels downtown, not just one...and that site is surrounded by office and government with the park (Town Common) view. It could also function as another housing complex, but would be better off as a hotel since the Boundary is yet to open.

Bank of America was never going to set up a huge building in Greenville, so them leaving that site may spur re-development of that block, which would be a good thing.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 528,089 times
RE: the Side Bar becoming Verizon, I wonder if Verizon bought the building or is renting from the owner. That property has been on the market perpetually and mostly due to the amount being asked. Its more than twice or three times the tax value. Regardless though, it is another positive change for the area. Hopefully the restore the building to it original open/windowed store front. Opening that alleyway to the parking deck is a phenomenal idea.

Also mentioned previous, a new government building to consolidate the smaller offices in the Uptown area and free up development space is a great idea. Improving 1st street and Dickinson street-scapes will help, I hope the investment can continue at the current clip. The iron is hot!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 AM

145 posts, read 266,647 times
I agree that building a dam is way too far fetched but I do think (as the website mentioned) there should be some kind of widening on the Tar River because it isn't very wide and if we want to focus on the river as a recreation source then we should widen it so that more people can safely go boating or kayaking. Until it gets widened then I don't think there will be much riverfront development.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Has anyone seen this "grassroots" website about creating a Lake Greenville? The website advocates for the benefits about building a dam near Port Terminal.
They'd have to build a levee around the airport and a major substation for Greenville Utilities is in the way. Their added 20 feet of water would put the runways at PGV under water. I was just looking at the new storm surge flood maps today. This is what an extra 9 feet of water looks like in Greenville.
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-screenshot-2014-11-07-19.07.51.png  

Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
They'd have to build a levee around the airport and a major substation for Greenville Utilities is in the way. Their added 20 feet of water would put the runways at PGV under water. I was just looking at the new storm surge flood maps today. This is what an extra 9 feet of water looks like in Greenville.
The Airport is realllly in a Horrible spot. I would've been so much better on the westside of what is now 264 Bypass. It would also be really convenient if NC33 "hugged" the northside of the river, to give residents a quick way to get from West Greenville to East Greenville. Like a good straight shot. But oh well, too late now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina