Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM

89 posts, read 130,601 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone ever said what was being constructed on Firetower Rd. right at the tower but there is a sign up now for a Health and Fitness center coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
^ That will be Champions, which is moving from their location near PCC. PCC bought their property to expand so they were forced to move.

I don't know when construction will finally start. There is also a parcel out in that area that was purchased by CHE Mid Atlantic Company with aspirations to build a larger facility out there as they expand. I don't know when that will take place either but they purchased the land.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 AM

275 posts, read 330,591 times
The 10th Street Connector will be bidding in December. I was just looking over the specs and they don't expect to complete this til 2018, but knowing DOT it will probably take longer than that.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
The 10th Street Connector will be bidding in December. I was just looking over the specs and they don't expect to complete this til 2018, but knowing DOT it will probably take longer than that.
I'm just happy to see progress going on there. Especially after the number of years of just "talk" we had going on.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,228 times
Article in the Daily Reflector today - ECU wants to create a "millenial" campus similar to NCSU's Centennial Campus, with private sector medical research partners. Sounds like a great idea.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,076 times
Full article:

Quote:
East Carolina University will begin partnerships with area companies to start a millennial campus and possibly add several more around Greenville.

Chancellor Steve Ballard said at Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting the pharmaceutical companies Patheon, Hospira and Mayne Pharma have agreed to partner to create a Pharmaceutical Development and Manufacturing Center of Excellence.

The collaboration will be among five ECU colleges and will use the assistance of the N.C. Biotech Center to move forward with the partnerships.

“This is the beginning, really the first step of many steps that we are taking to create the millennial campus and to build better public-private sector partnerships that will both grow our research and also make an economic development impact on the region,†Ballard said.

Interim Provost Ron Mitchelson said the Department of Chemistry already has started to develop a Good Manufacturing Practice course in preparation.

“The center is currently planned for location within the Brody School of Medicine, which will be designated as a millennial space during the spring 2015,†he said.

Ballard said there are more than 8,000 pharmaceutical manufacturing jobs within 50 miles of Greenville.

“These partnerships will be great for our research opportunities but great for hundreds of students who are being prepared right now to be competitors for those 8,000 jobs,†he said.

The university’s board of trustees discussed the potential for more than one millennial campus in the Greenville area. Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance Rick Niswander said millennial campuses are a designation by the University of North Carolina Board of Governors and is the same concept as N.C. State University’s Centennial Campus that encourages public and private partnerships.

He said the university is looking at two to three locations for the campuses.

Niswander said potential locations include the Stratford Arms area, Greenville’s warehouse district, behind Bostic Sugg Furniture and several other sites in the area.

Trustee Vern Davenport said he visited N.C. State’s Centennial Campus and would like to see how ECU can replicate what is going on at the Raleigh campus.

“It’s the most amazing place,†he said “... It’s not the facilities but what’s done of the facilities, that’s the thing that’s breathtaking there. It’s not the building or the location or how we get the land, it’s what’s happening with that asset.â€

Niswander said N.C. State had a distinct advantage because much of the land was donated. ECU likely would have to buy land at fair market value.

Davenport said he wants to see hot spots for several activities, including bioengineering.

Board of Trustees Chairman Robert Brinkley said the university’s community is eager to see the millennial campuses come to fruition.

“I think that people are getting excited about it when we start talking about not a location but what we want to do there,†Brinkley said.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,228 times
I heard an ad on 107.9 last night saying that Spring Run Market is now permanently open in the old Peppermints location. In the ASAP Camera building at Bells Fork.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM

192 posts, read 281,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I heard an ad on 107.9 last night saying that Spring Run Market is now permanently open in the old Peppermints location. In the ASAP Camera building at Bells Fork.
They are. The wife and I went in there for lunch today. It was great. Still a limited selection but the quality is the best in town. I also love being able to pick up some fresh non-pasteurized cold pressed juice after working out at Tier 1. I recommend stopping in and supporting them. We need more local small business dedicated to quality the way they are. I believe there hours are 10am-6pm most days but Sunday. They will also have gluten free deli food for lunches daily. I think they're just waiting on some red tape to get finalized from the city for the kitchen.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 63,356 times
Was just driving down G'ville Blvd and saw they were tearing down the old Matzatlan bld/the one by Outback. Are there plans for something new there or are they just clearing out that old building?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
a few not so great pictures of the Boundary Project and the parking deck:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina