Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM

145 posts, read 266,664 times

Advertisements

I found a bunch of new renderings of the Boundary project on their website. It's amazing how real they look! I tried to post them but it won't let me download the pictures so here's the link. Photos of The Boundary at West End
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I found a bunch of new renderings of the Boundary project on their website. It's amazing how real they look! I tried to post them but it won't let me download the pictures so here's the link. Photos of The Boundary at West End
That is incredible. Nothing I've seen prior to this has even been close to the scope of reality of the project. This looks like something you'd see in New York or LA. That is nice!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Except for the finishing touches, the new parking deck is essentially ready to open soon. Here's a view from in and around the new deck at the corner of 4th and Contanche.

New alley/access from Evans where the city wanted to build a new Visitors Center.

Rehab of the old Rumors.

Looking over Fitzgerald's, with the Boundary in the distance.

Possible locations for the rumored hotel?

New street lamps with this project; Boundary up the street.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Except for the finishing touches, the new parking deck is essentially ready to open soon. Here's a view from in and around the new deck at the corner of 4th and Contanche.

New alley/access from Evans where the city wanted to build a new Visitors Center.

Rehab of the old Rumors.

Looking over Fitzgerald's, with the Boundary in the distance.

Possible locations for the rumored hotel?

New street lamps with this project; Boundary up the street.

Great pictures of the amazing growth ongoing in Greenville! Thank you!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Great pictures of the amazing growth ongoing in Greenville! Thank you!
Thanks! I know it's just a parking deck, but it really is the key to opening up more development downtown. It gives developers the ability to raze the small buildings and lots, so they can build multi-purpose blocks. And to build up rather than spread out. Hopefully we'll need one or two more decks in the next decade!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Awesome pics. I'm loving the walkway from the parking deck to Evans street. Hopefully some benches will be put there and the exterior walls will be painted on those buildings.

I guess it's weird to say that a parking deck is nice, but that parking deck looks really nice! I'm hoping that this will start some multi-story buildings in this area over the next 10 years. I think going from 1-3 story buildings to 3-5 story buildings should be the goal now.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I agree with the other posts, the pictures look great. How excited should I be about a parking deck? It's sad, but it's really a great thing for uptown. I never thought I'd live long enough to see a parking deck in Greenville..we will have what, 4 now? Hospital, uptown, Boundary, ECU in the works with student center. Good to see the city moving in a positive direction. Things really have made a turn for the better since Thomas became Mayor.

Also - the Mexican joint uptown where the Pita Pit was should do well I would think. I work in the area & there are no real Mexican options in the are for lunch without driving out towards Greenville Blvd. Especially with the Registrar office moving across the street, and the other businesses opening down there, it should increase lunch business some for them, Fitzgeralds & Michelangelos.

Last edited by jpirate; 01-20-2015 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: a

Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
That parking deck is more important than most citizens realize. The two photo's where you said "a rumored hotel" are both now city lots. Parking decks not only increase the capacity of parking, but also make the city able to redevelop surface parking lots. A hotel across from the deck is a perfect spot and now the city can sell to the highest bidder the existing lots, one of which fronts Evans Street, which can add to its tax base, more than paying for itself.

It really wasn't that complicated, the deck itself, the rehabbed building across the street for the Visitor's Center, the access to Evans St and the use of old surface parking for redevelopment purposes. And the deck took less than a year to build.

I had advocated for a downtown deck for years in order to make the 5th and Evans lot an actual park (5 Points Park) for the community. I still like the idea better than the current use, but at least the current use is more than just surface parking. I think the city should be looking at other possible area's for decks that could help return some surface parking to the tax base.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
yea, I somewhat agree. The only thing I would say is that not every event will need the size of the current convention center.

I know that the American Tobacco Campus has an event space called Bay 7 that is pretty popular.

American Tobacco Campus Web Site

Maybe a space like that would be nice on Dickinson once that's starting to grow more.
I agree that the small town politics that resulted in the CC on Greenville blvd was beyond ludicrous and you probably would not get big support for another one uptown. You'd need a clever disguise. Get ECU involved, build an Up Town basketball arena that doubles as an event center and concert venue.....

Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

This is actually a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be. Too bad the building there didn't work out for now...but this is a nice little walk through. Throw in some benches & some paint or something on that terrible wall and we're talkin'.

Progress is staring to take shape. I happened to see the end of a council meeting the other day on tv & head Mayor Thomas say that he has been contacted by the city of Bristol in Connecticut inquiring about how Greenville is spurring growth in their uptown area. Good to see others are taking note.

Anyone know when the work on the mini-brewery place on Dickinson will take place? When I drive uptown it's slowly starting to feel like a city and not a town anymore. Hope it keeps on pushing...has lots of potential as a destination spot in town & we need one for sure.

Last edited by jpirate; 01-20-2015 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina