Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM

39 posts, read 71,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think it would work well somewhere near the Hwy 43 exit on the 264 bypass. It was/is being made into 4 lanes past B's BBQ up to 264. It would give easy highway access and be close to hospital employees and the residents of Ironwood Country Club.

Downtown parking change information from the Reflector:
I think it's interesting/a bit ridiculous that all of the downtown parking (according to your excerpt from the Reflector) will be handled by City Hall whereas the residential permit parking throughout the TRUNA neighborhood as well as other areas adjacent the university is administered/permitted through Public Works on Beatty Street -- classic example of disorganization/inefficiency in local government.

Also, for those of you saying we should have a mixed use retail development in locations such as 264 on the way into town or at NC 43 and 264, do you realize what retailers choose their locations based on? Those areas are not only (obviously) on the edge of town, but the annual household income within a 1-mile and 5-mile radius is way below what many national retailers require for site location. Furthermore, even if the metrics for income are in place to attract retailers, building in this manner is a classic example of sprawl and cannot be considered smart growth.

I'm all for dreaming of what 'could be' but we ought to be more cognizant of the reality of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Anyone know if the garage is full already? For real. Somehow 2,800 traffic cases got booked in the courthouse today and people are lined up around the block. Perfect for breaking in the new garage!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:17 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Quote:
"classic example of disorganization/inefficiency in local government."
Ha, you mean government is disorganized?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
That's a great point about locating a mixed use on the edge of town. There are two mall (or former mall) area's that fit the bill and are underutilized at this point. Greenville needs to focus on making them better and gradually moving them toward mixed use to better utilize them.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There are two mall (or former mall) area's that fit the bill and are underutilized at this point. Greenville needs to focus on making them better and gradually moving them toward mixed use to better utilize them.
The area behind Galleria 11 is probably in the very early planning stages of being developed right now. Greenville is considering extending and upgrading Frontgate Dr all of the way to Thomas Langston Rd, presumably so it can be developed. The project is called the Frontgate Dr Retail Corridor. It also mentions improvements to Thomas Langston.

Quote:
Project includes improvements to existing segment of Frontgate Drive and Thomas Langston Road, as well as constructing a new boulevard roadway and utility improvements to connect the two. The new boulevard will provide opportunity for a regional scale retail center, improve mobility in the area, and improve public safety response times to the southwest portion of the City.
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=7287

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
The Lemongrass has permanently closed.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Publix in Greenville, North Carolina?

Quote:
I do find it weird that Publix is building in New Bern before coming to Greenville. I hope Publix is not backing out because I would love to see one in Greenville. I'd put it in the large plot of land right behind the Firetower on Firetower Rd.
Quote:
NC Planner, I agree about the selective part. However, Publix is supposedly not your run-of-the-mill grocery store. The Publix needs a home in Greenville.

Maybe a mixed used development with offices, apartments, restaurants and shops (something along the lines of the Mayfaire shop/live/play center in Wilmington) would be good for that area. Instead of a movie theater as an anchor, the Publix could anchor it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
I would love to see a mixed use development in the area too. I think it would work really well in that area too. I have always thought Mayfaire would do well if placed in the correct spot of the Greenville area.

Michael, perhaps you are right about Publix. I haven't been into one in a few years, we used to shop at them in Atlanta.. but at the time, I didn't find it any better than a Harris Teeter or Kroger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I assume New Bern will only have one Publix, no more than two. That's easier to plan, than to decide how to plot out Greenville/Winterville, which would probably need about four locations. With stores from Charlotte to Cary to New Bern, Publix is all in for NC. They can't avoid Greenville just because of Walmart grocery stores - those things will be everywhere in five years anyway. They'll skim sales from Harris Teeter, Lowes, and Food Lion more than Walmart, whose mostly spreading out their own customers from their own supercenters. So long as Greenville keeps adding to the census, there's room for one more grocery chain.
Publix's ingress into and expansion across North Carolina is a part of the changing grocery competition statewide. Its stores work up to standards of fresh foods, quality products and necessities with excellent customer service and good prices. It does not have a loyalty card program. It operates 1,096 stores, with approximately 925 in-store pharmacies, in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. All North Carolina Publix stores are in its Charlotte Division. The division includes all of South Carolina except Beaufort and Jasper Counties and the Augusta, Georgia area.

I heard Publix is looking at other North Carolina cities for additional stores: Burlington, Chapel Hill, Durham, Fayetteville, Gastonia, Goldsboro, Greensboro, Greenville, Hickory, High Point, Jacksonville, Kannapolis, Kinston, Raleigh, Rocky Mount, Wilmington, Wilson.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
The only chain grocery I would get excited about in Greenville would be Wegmans. Those are phenomenal stores and some rival the size of a Walmart Supercenter.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Wegman's stores range in size from 80,000 to 140,000 square feet, and they limit themselves to fresh foods, food and pharmacy.

One alternative to Walmart Supercenter in the hypermarket category I look forward to seeing, if brought to North Carolina, is Kroger's Marketplace stores. These stores have apparel, toys and home goods. It would be weird having a Harris Teeter Marketplace store in the Harris Teeter division.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
The only chain grocery I would get excited about in Greenville would be Wegmans. Those are phenomenal stores and some rival the size of a Walmart Supercenter.
I live not too far from a Wegmans, it's a bit out of my league, I literally feel overwhelmed when shopping there which is why I appreciate Whole Foods a bit more. I know one thing for sure, Wegmans is expensive, I'm talking $1,000 per pound for truffles expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina