Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times

Advertisements

jpirate, I follow the brewery on FB and they're still working on the site. Looks like some sort of tanks were delivered about 2 weeks ago. My guess is that they'll be open sometime this spring or early summer. I doubt they will have any trouble keeping people in the building. The Dickinson Avenue Public house (Owned by Christi's Euro Pub) will be opening up right beside the brewery in the same time frame.

Living in Raleigh, I always enjoy going to one of the many breweries in the area. I can't wait to try this one on my trips back to Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The point about "destination spot" is spot on...the Brewery and Public House is one destination.

The Go-Science will be another one.

As well as the Theater whenever they can get that project going.

And the ECU Registrar's office.

That is the key to a successful downtown, create reasons for people to come downtown.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I agree that the small town politics that resulted in the CC on Greenville blvd was beyond ludicrous and you probably would not get big support for another one uptown. You'd need a clever disguise. Get ECU involved, build an Up Town basketball arena that doubles as an event center and concert venue.....
That long talked about ECU Performing Arts Centre would be perfect. I am sure a Theater could be built that doubles as a convention space.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM

455 posts, read 528,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

This is actually a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be. Too bad the building there didn't work out for now...but this is a nice little walk through. Throw in some benches & some paint or something on that terrible wall and we're talkin'.

Progress is staring to take shape. I happened to see the end of a council meeting the other day on tv & head Mayor Thomas say that he has been contacted by the city of Bristol in Connecticut inquiring about how Greenville is spurring growth in their uptown area. Good to see others are taking note.

Anyone know when the work on the mini-brewery place on Dickinson will take place? When I drive uptown it's slowly starting to feel like a city and not a town anymore. Hope it keeps on pushing...has lots of potential as a destination spot in town & we need one for sure.

At one time there was talk of making a walk through to 5th street between the back of the Creamery building and the old Side Bar/Hideaway building. They would have to take down a portion of that wall, but I thought it was a great idea. Is that still happening? Pictures do not indicate as such.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:05 PM

39 posts, read 71,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Also - the Mexican joint uptown where the Pita Pit was should do well I would think. I work in the area & there are no real Mexican options in the are for lunch without driving out towards Greenville Blvd. Especially with the Registrar office moving across the street, and the other businesses opening down there, it should increase lunch business some for them, Fitzgeralds & Michelangelos.
...Chico's?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Planetarium opens in Grifton.

Pitt County planetarium open to public

Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
Quote:
...Chico's?
Yeah, I was taking about Mexican Food. If I'm in a mood for Mexican...I go to a Mexican joint...if I'm in the mood for Chico's...I go to Chico's. ha.

Oh & that is the smallest planetarium I've ever seen.

Last edited by jpirate; 01-26-2015 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: f

Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Planetarium opens in Grifton.

Pitt County planetarium open to public
Interesting.

While it's great that this gives another opportunity for people to learn about the planets and stars , there is already a planetarium 10 minutes away in Kinston. I think this "A time for science" organization should be partnering up with the GO Science center to bring the planetarium there.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Interesting.

While it's great that this gives another opportunity for people to learn about the planets and stars , there is already a planetarium 10 minutes away in Kinston. I think this "A time for science" organization should be partnering up with the GO Science center to bring the planetarium there.

If Chancellor Jenkins had his way, we would've had a Planetarium 40 years ago. Thanks UNC!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Brody School Of Medicine at risk of closing.

I don't know what to say other than I hope someone does something.

East Carolina University administrators spent much of last year lobbying the State Legislature to reverse funding changes that have left the Brody School of Medicine at risk. The General Assembly’s 2015 long session was barely seated before ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard again sounded the at-risk alarm last week.

“The risks to Brody have never been greater than they are today because of a thousand decisions that have been made over the years that have a cumulative effect,” Ballard told members of the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce.

Sounding the alarm before a large gathering of area business leaders makes good sense. But are those leaders making sense of what is actually at stake for the medical school? Do they have the sense that the medical school actually is in real danger of closing?

Brody School of Medicine “at risk” : NC SPIN Balanced Debate for the Old North State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina