Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

Phoenix closes in face of order

Great news, even though it's due to bad events. Hopefully the landlord either gets a BETTER tenant, or sells it to another group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM

155 posts, read 235,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Manager at Walmart on 10th informed me that Walmart on Greenville BLVD will be torn down, that's what she told me.
How much of this is true, I don't know. But today I heard the same info from another friend. Additionally, they said that the Hilton had bought the land. Might be a smart play for Hilton - they're a bit landlocked where they are now and it's a tiny hotel. But do you really want a hotel there? I don't know. May not even be true but that's the reason I was given that they're building the one at Staton House Road.

Bummer is, I don't want the dregs of society out at my new Walmart on 10th. :-) Would rather they keep that old one open.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 PM

68 posts, read 119,804 times
What would be the possibility of the Walmart on Gville Blvd relocating to say across from PCC? The other two walmarts will be located on the east side.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
I would hope for a mixed-use development on the site of Wal-Mart, all that parking lot could be used for far more than just parking.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Phoenix closes in face of order

Great news, even though it's due to bad events. Hopefully the landlord either gets a BETTER tenant, or sells it to another group.
This! is the big news of the day, not Walmart.

My first thought was that this is a bold move to secure a hotel setting up on the same block were that club is. Last year the city filed a lawsuit against the Phoenix over improperly trained bouncers. The city's strategy seems to be to litigate and regulate the owner into corner, forcing him to give in.

And I sincerely don't mind.

The Phoenix is in the way of progress.

The Mayor made an interesting comment on FB: "Wait until you see what this leads to."

Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 AM

277 posts, read 436,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
This! is the big news of the day, not Walmart.

My first thought was that this is a bold move to secure a hotel setting up on the same block were that club is. Last year the city filed a lawsuit against the Phoenix over improperly trained bouncers. The city's strategy seems to be to litigate and regulate the owner into corner, forcing him to give in.

And I sincerely don't mind.

The Phoenix is in the way of progress.

The Mayor made an interesting comment on FB: "Wait until you see what this leads to."
I hope it leads to something good. I remember last summer I tore up the foundation of an old shed. I demolished one of the blocks only to find hundreds of roaches scatter across the yard--eventually leading to my house. The news story said that there have been hundreds of police calls from the phoenix over the past few years. I just hope that the hundreds of police calls don't get spread to the other bars, shops, nearby residences.

Progress is only progress if the other areas don't regress.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Quote:
I saw that as well, my first thought was 'hotel'. I wonder if they'll utilize that space by tearing it down & integrating it into part of a hotel. If they could get that going it would be phenomenal. After that, it would be awesome to see a new building go up where the stop shop / Sup Dogs is. They both can stay but it would be great to have a clean updated building on that corner instead of that ratty looking old gas station. One step at a time & this was a huge step that was taken yesterday, no doubt about it.

I'm usually not a proponent of a city running a business out of town, but in this case it is more than welcome. That place was a blight on the area, I don't feel sorry for the owner one bit. Will this stop the thugs & fools from starting problems, no. But hoepfully they can start it in another part of town away from the downtown area. Better yet, go drive over to Kinston or Wilson & start it over there.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I saw that as well, my first thought was 'hotel'. I wonder if they'll utilize that space by tearing it down & integrating it into part of a hotel. If they could get that going it would be phenomenal. After that, it would be awesome to see a new building go up where the stop shop / Sup Dogs is. They both can stay but it would be great to have a clean updated building on that corner instead of that ratty looking old gas station. One step at a time & this was a huge step that was taken yesterday, no doubt about it.

I'm usually not a proponent of a city running a business out of town, but in this case it is more than welcome. That place was a blight on the area, I don't feel sorry for the owner one bit. Will this stop the thugs & fools from starting problems, no. But hoepfully they can start it in another part of town away from the downtown area. Better yet, go drive over to Kinston or Wilson & start it over there.
Why go to another city, or even another part of town, when the trouble makers are two blocks from downtown?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Well, if there are no businesses in the downtown area catering to them, it should give them less reason to go down there & keep in in their own hood.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM

That pretty much means shutting down Andy businesses priced to attract college students too. You cant exactly profile because it's wrong and really is a handful of the same people who cause most of the trouble. However, no one knows who it is until after entrance to the bar/club and the drinking has ensued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina