Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times

Advertisements

From what I gather, this is just a parallel railway near the landfill to allow loading/unloading. Is that correct? That doesn't seem THAT remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,751 times
I went to Fitzgerald's today at lunch uptown.

The atmosphere is much improved from the Pirate's Den, almost unrecognizable compared to what use to be there.
The service was good.
The food was pretty decent. My burger was good enough that I'd go back.

Over all they might have a shot at making it uptown. There was a good crowd in there by the time I left, which considering the students aren't really officially back yet, could be a good sign..time will tell.

It's certainly an upgrade compared to what was down there before. I also noticed that the Taft student complex has leased the extra store front for now beside campus cookies for sales. I'm assuming they probably only signed a 1 year lease or something until the complex is officially ready to go.

Fitzgeralds 113 east 5th st Greenville NC (252) 355-0311

Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I went to Fitzgerald's today at lunch uptown.

The atmosphere is much improved from the Pirate's Den, almost unrecognizable compared to what use to be there.
The service was good.
The food was pretty decent. My burger was good enough that I'd go back.

Over all they might have a shot at making it uptown. There was a good crowd in there by the time I left, which considering the students aren't really officially back yet, could be a good sign..time will tell.

It's certainly an upgrade compared to what was down there before. I also noticed that the Taft student complex has leased the extra store front for now beside campus cookies for sales. I'm assuming they probably only signed a 1 year lease or something until the complex is officially ready to go.

Fitzgeralds 113 east 5th st Greenville NC (252) 355-0311
Is it purely a restaurant? Or does it have pool tables and other bar games? I need to go and check it out. Pirates Den has soo much space, but they put up so many false walls, to make it feel smaller than it really was.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM

893 posts, read 1,344,751 times
I did not see any pool tables, in fact, it seemed very, very small compared to what the Pirates Den was & the old pool hall that use to be there long ago. They do have TV's...LOTS of TV's, Lots. They had an additional side that was not open at lunch. I didn't go in there but it appeared to be another bar area that probably is opened up for nighttime.

I assume they also used false walls to make the space smaller & more manageable...either that or the kitchen is pretty darn big which I doubt.

Last edited by jpirate; 08-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: e

Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
I've said before that I think the southeast side of Greenville is a bit underserved and doesn't get much of a look from retailers. A few businesses have located there but I still believe the market is wide open for national retailers. The Eastern Pines area is huge and getting bigger. A little birdie has told me that Publix is negotiating to buy property in the Bells Fork area. It looks like Food Lion and Harris Teeter are going to have some competition shortly. I know which property it is but I'd prefer not to say until the deal is closed.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 AM

247 posts, read 445,826 times
Richard Martin, I heard the same thing about Publix looking in that area. I work part time at Harris Teeter we've been hearing this.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,612 times
ECU Showcases new development:

Quote:
East Carolina University showcased major developments and improvements to campus, including replacing a residence hall and creating two new student centers, to the business community on Tuesday.

ECU officials presented designs and plans to the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce luncheon at the Hilton Greenville on Tuesday.

The university demolished Belk Residence Hall at the top of College Hill in January and is on track to finish two new halls called Gateway West and Gateway East by the fall of 2015.

ECU Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Virginia Hardy said the 720-bed, $55 million project will earn its name.

“We’re calling it Gateway right now because it is the entryway up the hill to the (Dowdy-Ficklen) stadium, so it’s the gateway to the athletics facilities,” Hardy said.

She said research has shown that students who live on campus have higher grade point averages.

The new residence halls also will include public spaces and a courtyard that will bear the Belk name.

Plans for main campus’ new student center also are in the works.

The new facility, which will sit on 10th Street between the ECU Police Department and the FedEx Kinkos store, will be about 210,000 square feet and have a 700-vehicle parking deck behind it.

The new building will replace Mendenhall Student Center as the heart of the campus.

“The student center is the living room of any campus,” Hardy said. “It’s where students go hang out. ... Mendenhall Student Center, we love it, we adore it, we’re glad we have it, but it was definitely not that.”

Student feedback showed Mendenhall was more of a destination rather than a place to congregate or study, Hardy said.

The university will keep Mendenhall and repurpose it.

It will keep Hendrix Theater because of recent renovations, and it would be expensive to replicate. It also will keep the bowling lanes and catering there.

The new student center will contain the campus bookstore, the Ledonia Wright Cultural Center, a large event space that will seat 700-800 people, dining areas, restaurants and a black box theater that will seat about 250.

The new student center also will feature a large screen on an outer wall of the building to broadcast sporting events, show movies and post emergency messages.

Hardy said the new student center will help welcome students and visitors to the campus.

“ECU really doesn’t have a front door, a front entrance,” she said. “So the idea now is to start creating that front door, front entrance, and this will help us to begin part of that process.”

The Health Sciences Campus also will see an addition with its student center, the first of its kind.

Its new 76,000-square-feet student center will be located between the East Carolina Heart Institute and the Health Sciences Building near North Emergency Drive.

The center will feature dining areas, a coffee shop, meeting spaces, study spaces, a recreation center, parking services, and satellite offices for the career center and student health.

“We’re trying to make it so the students on the Health Sciences Campus can get the bulk of what they need out of this building,” she said.

The two student centers and parking garage will cost about $156 million.

Chamber President Scott Senatore said his organization and ECU have a close working relationship.

“It’s important for the business community to know what they’re doing over there,” Senatore said. “These are big projects. It’s not easy doing what they’re doing. It’s not easy to get the funding. We’re happy to help them with that.”

Senatore, who attended graduate school at ECU, said he was excited about the new plans and especially liked the design and architecture of the buildings.

“Those facilities are beautiful,” he said. “... Dr. Hardy is right. Students, they can get anything they want right from those areas.”

Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Hot Dish: Highway 55 (Andy's) opens express restaurant:

Quote:
Eastern North Carolina-based restaurant chain Hwy 55 has unveiled a new express concept near the East Carolina University campus.

Hwy 55 Express, at 1201 Charles Blvd. near the entrance to The Province apartment complex, is geared for grabbing a quick meal with a pared down menu, counter service, late-night hours and a pick-up window.

“We’re excited to debut this concept in Greenville,” said franchisee Al Hardison, “and we think the students will love it.”

Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes and Fries, originally known as Andy’s Cheesesteaks and Cheeseburgers, was founded in Goldsboro in 1991 and soon expanded to Greenville. Founder and CEO Kenny Moore said in a press release that this new restaurant is a tribute to the chain’s long history with the city.

“Greenville has always been like a second home to us,” Moore said. “We know that our brand new Express will be a great fit there.”

The express menu — based on 1950s diner classics — includes hot dogs ($1.99), hamburgers ($2.59), chicken sandwiches ($4.99) and cheese steaks ($6.95). Wing baskets are $6.99.

The express menu also includes “concretes” — three scoops of frozen custard mixed with a choice of topping, for $3.49. Shakes topped with whipped cream and a cherry are $2.99.

Beverages include sweet tea, Pepsi products and hand-squeezed orangeade and lemonade.

The express restaurant is decorated in purple and gold with retro ECU memorabilia and photographs. There is seating for 18 people inside and for 16 people at tables outside.

Hours are 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays-Wednesdays and 11 a.m.-3 a.m. Thursdays-Saturdays. Call 215-2332.

The other Hwy 55 restaurants offer table service and serve the entire diner-style menu including hamburger steak plates, grilled or fried chicken platters, shrimp burgers, salads, grilled pimento cheese and chicken cordon bleu sandwiches. Greenville restaurants are at Bell’s Fork, Hardee Crossing, Arlington Boulevard and 10th Street.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Sorry, but a Publix coming to Greenville sounds crazy. They JUST finished a store in Charlotte. I cannot see them opening in Greenville for at least another 3-5 years at the earliest.

It would be awesome if it happened, but that just seems so crazy to me!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Sorry, but a Publix coming to Greenville sounds crazy. They JUST finished a store in Charlotte. I cannot see them opening in Greenville for at least another 3-5 years at the earliest.

It would be awesome if it happened, but that just seems so crazy to me!
I disagree...because I think not only is that area at Bells Fork perfect and with available space, BUT, Greenville is not overly infested with Harris Teeters, unlike say Wilmington, which has like 8-9 of them.

My prediction is that Publix is going to go into some markets that Harris Teeter has not fully invested. If you have ever been to the Harris Teeter near campus, you can clearly see they are not fully invested in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina