Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Second Firehouse Subs will be locating on Greenville BLVD beside US Cellular.
Awesome. I thought they'd try to get closer to campus that that but at least it's better driving out to the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am sure a big crowd from New Bern would come to a decent venue for a decent act. Not to mention the Marines at Cherry Point and Lejuene! Though I think the road is one of the worst in the Universe!
That road is indicative of the lack of regional planning for the last 50 or so years.

Anyway, back to the amphitheater...I found this example in Louisville that would not cost much at all...

Waterfront Park Venues - Brown-Forman Lawn

Plantings along the sides and rear NOW could buffer noise.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
I know this isn't as much fun as fantasizing about an amphitheatre that will never be built but the point of this thread is to talk about what's being planned for and what is in the process of being built.

There really is a whole ton of construction going on in Greenville and not all of it is downtown.

Firetower Rd has a bit of construction from one end to the other. There is the new Walmart Neighborhood Market, a new Champions Fitness going up at the actual fire tower location and at least one business is going up on the south side of Firetower near Pitt CC. On the north side of that area along Firetower is seeing additional business construction.

All over Greenville there are houses going up everywhere.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Renderings of the New Student Center that ECU will build. Is going to look really nice sitting on 10th street.

Link to better pictures...
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/bot/uplo...cilities-4.pdf

Last edited by jpirate; 08-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: r

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM

123 posts, read 523,300 times
Hello to all on the Greenville forum I have a question to ask and would appreciate some feedback, I am not from Greenville but I am very interested and impressed with the growth of your city. In light of all the new developments going on in your Uptown area what do you think it would take to push you city to the next level it seems as if you guys are right there on the edge of a becoming one of the major economic and cultural centers in NC, I think you guys have most of what you need to do it but what is missing in your opinion?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Red83,

Thanks for your question! I honestly think that the Dickinson Ave corridor is going to be the key to our growth as a city.

I think an area created in Greenville like the ATC /Brightleaf Square in Durham would do wonders in the city. Giving people a safe,artsy place to live, work & play and providing entertainment options like a ballpark, live music venue, and greenspace will be key in bringing people downtown and keeping them downtown.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-05-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM

144 posts, read 190,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
Hello to all on the Greenville forum I have a question to ask and would appreciate some feedback, I am not from Greenville but I am very interested and impressed with the growth of your city. In light of all the new developments going on in your Uptown area what do you think it would take to push you city to the next level it seems as if you guys are right there on the edge of a becoming one of the major economic and cultural centers in NC, I think you guys have most of what you need to do it but what is missing in your opinion?
More people working and living downtown, especially young professionals (year-round residents who are not students) which would include at least two to three businesses located downtown who employ a large number of people. Downtown needs some diverse mixed used developments that include residential, office, restaurants, shopping, sports bars, and various kinds of entertainment. If this could go into developments with at least five to six stories in order to have some density to have more constant pedestrian activity. An icon that could be associated with the city would also be great. This could be a structure or a mascot like Durham's Major the Bull (created by ECU sculptors). Finally, urban spaces where people can naturally gather. The Town Common could be this place, but it needs help to become it.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
GoingLocal,

Agree 100%. I think the Dickinson Corridor should incorporate the many metal sculptures that are already being made down there. Each corner or intersection or block could feature a different sculpture. Maybe even invite area artists to paint each one before installing them.

Maybe the city should try to create a High Tech business incubator in that area? It would be cool if a business like Overton's moved their call center to a building in Dickinson. That would guarantee hundreds of people being in that area every day.

Sorry to hijack the thread sometimes, but there is only so much we can talk about in between things getting announced and them actually being built/implemented. Sometimes, it's good to think about the possibilities.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM

144 posts, read 190,063 times
Make the Town Common an everyday destination and a scaled-down version of something like this on the south side of First Street across from the Common.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM

The Telco Credit Union has chosen Greenville for the first branch location of the non-profit financial institution, looks like the branch will be built by the Mall / beside PNC on Arlington:

Greenville chamber and mayor welcome new business - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Also, Mayor Thomas had this on his facebook today:

Quote:
☆☆☆☆IF YOU HAVE A BUSINESS IDEA--- ESPECIALLY FAMILY-FUN/ RETAIL ENTERTAINMENT LET ME KNOW!* -- Working to launch a "Sharktank-type" Expo in Greenville matching up local funding* with family entertainment-focused business ideas ☆
We really need some more family entertainment in this town, good to see someone else notices. I've heard great things about the new Atomic Laser Dome place in town: Learn more about Atomic Laser Dome in Eastern North Carolina

I haven't been yet but I hope they get enough business to make it. Nice to have something different in town. They really need to advertise to ECU students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina