Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Construction has begun on the second Walmart Neighborhood Market at Regency Blvd & Memorial Drive. The one at Stantonsburg Rd behind the Trade Wilco is coming along at a fast pace. Does anyone know if this one will have gas pumps. The Neighborhood Market in New Bern has caused gas prices to drop about ten cents per gallon. Hopefully they will do the same in Greenville.

Hey City - from what I read, there are 3 Walmart Neighborhood Markets coming. The one on Stantonsburg Rd is not supposed to have a gas station. The other two - one on Regency and the other at Firetower and Arlington supposedly will have gas stations.

One thing to remember too about Walmart's gas stations (Murphy USA) - once or twice a year they'll run a promotion where if you use a Walmart gift card to buy your gas, you get $.10 off per gallon. Some of the Murphy stations don't accept Walmart Gift Cards (don't ask me why) but it will be prominently displayed on the pump if they do. That's a great deal anytime you can get it. This promotion is currently running. But you can't add money to your gift card at the station - you have to do it in Walmart.

Both Walmart and Sam's Club get their gas from Murphy Oil, based in El Dorado, Arkansas.

As for the idea of questionable gas - gas is primarily the same. The difference is the additives and detergents included in the gas. If you're concerned about that issue, "make sure that every 2k miles or so you use a bottle additive with PEA in it, like Gumout Regane Complete, Techron Total, or Redline SL-1. You'll come out about the same in performance and you might save a bit on the total cost of fuel and additives vs using a top tier fuel". Had this conversation with an automotive guy a short while back.

I fill up my Infiniti without hesitation at Walmart and have never had issues with performance, noise, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
As for the idea of questionable gas - gas is primarily the same. The difference is the additives and detergents included in the gas. If you're concerned about that issue, "make sure that every 2k miles or so you use a bottle additive with PEA in it, like Gumout Regane Complete, Techron Total, or Redline SL-1. You'll come out about the same in performance and you might save a bit on the total cost of fuel and additives vs using a top tier fuel". Had this conversation with an automotive guy a short while back.
Why put a $5 additive into your gas when you can just buy the quality gas for the same price? In the Greenville area, the top tier fuels have virtually the same price as the no-name gas.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
This isn't as much of a problem now, but some of those older submerged gas storage tanks at the gas stations leaked. The leachables in the gas could cause the car to run poorly.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM

89 posts, read 130,654 times
I just got an email from a contractor saying that a new Walmart Neighborhood Market will begin the initial stages in August. Located at the intersection of NC 11 and US 264. I'm assuming it will be behind that Sheetz near Daughtridge Dr.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why put a $5 additive into your gas when you can just buy the quality gas for the same price? In the Greenville area, the top tier fuels have virtually the same price as the no-name gas.
Hey Richard - I don't specifically recommend an additive. Was just remarking on the fact that the gas itself is pretty similar - it's the additives that differentiate most of it. I personally don't buy from East Coast - have never liked their fuel. And you're right - Greenville's prices are pretty close for whatever you buy. People sometimes get hung up on certain gas being "bad" and that's typically not true. Most gas has additives in it these days. There are always exceptions though.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
I just got an email from a contractor saying that a new Walmart Neighborhood Market will begin the initial stages in August. Located at the intersection of NC 11 and US 264. I'm assuming it will be behind that Sheetz near Daughtridge Dr.
Interesting Vitrinite. I wonder if that means 4 markets will be opening or if maybe the one on Firetower wasn't a definite as previously reported?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM

89 posts, read 130,654 times
Quote:
Interesting Vitrinite. I wonder if that means 4 markets will be opening or if maybe the one on Firetower wasn't a definite as previously reported?
I'm not sure. Nothing was said of it. But, I haven't heard any further on the one planned for Firetower. So, it's possible.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
Quote:
I have actually heard that there is going to be 4 Walmart markets.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I have actually heard that there is going to be 4 Walmart markets.
Its like a contest between Bojangles and Walmart....

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Good information about businesses moving into the "SuperBlock". I hope this works out well for them.

Quote:
The first piece of Greenville’s new downtown “Superblock” is in place, and owners Andrew Denton and Thomas Alligood believe it’s a good fit for a college town.

The Wilson natives and 2013 East Carolina University graduates recently opened Campus Corner, a high-end men’s clothing store, in a retail bay at 201 E. Fifth St.

“We wanted to start a business that would cater toward the college community,” Denton said. “There’s not really a men’s clothing store (downtown) that caters to the East Carolina community. This will be a store where someone can come in and get a T-shirt or a game-day polo or a tie.”

The store will carry high-end, Southern-inspired business casual wear for men, including button-down shirts, polos, khakis, slacks, shorts, boat shoes, ties, T-shirts and hats.

Campus Corner was the second lease signed for the 20,000-square-foot downtown project at the corner of Fifth and 
Cotanche streets, spearheaded by Raleigh-based 
CommunitySmith. The first lease was signed by ECU to relocate its Office of the Registrar to the 8,000-square-foot 207 E. Fifth St. building.

“ECU was the very first, which kicked off the entire thing,” Holton Wilkerson, managing partner for 
CommunitySmith, said.

Wilkerson said the connection with Campus Corner came through the City of Greenville’s SEED program, in which Denton and Alligood participated in the spring. University Book Exchange owner and downtown revitalization advocate Don Edwards steered the pair toward the Superblock project when he heard their ideas, Denton said.

The idea for Campus Corner, named for another store in the same building some 50 years ago, came in the months before the pair, both 23 years old, graduated from ECU, Denton said.

Not only were they steered toward the Superblock early in the formation of their business, but Denton said the rehabilitated buildings fit the style they envisioned.

“All of our shelves and tables are made from reclaimed wood from tobacco barns in Wilson County,” Denton said. “So the historic building really fit with that.”

Wilkerson said he is pleased that locations are beginning to open to the public in the Superblock.

“This will allow a lot of attention to focus on them, and people will pop in and notice what else we have going on,” he said. “They’ll get a lot busier when school starts, but now they have time to get their stock in order and get laid out the way they want.”

The next location to open in the Superblock likely will be Campus Cookies, a sweets delivery business with branches in college towns in Virginia.

Campus Cookies will locate at 205 E. Fifth St. hopefully within the next few weeks, Wilkerson said.

“They’re well on their way,” he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina