Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
in my opinion, Dickinson is in the worst shape, maybe followed by 10th street. I'm not sure how Greenville budgets for street repair/maintenance, but it has some of the worst roads of any city I've seen in North Carolina.
Greenville has some of the worst roads I've seen anywhere. Potholes, poor pavement, and roads too small for current traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
in my opinion, Dickinson is in the worst shape, maybe followed by 10th street. I'm not sure how Greenville budgets for street repair/maintenance, but it has some of the worst roads of any city I've seen in North Carolina.
The streets you guys are talking about are maintained by the state. West 10th street is about to have major construction so they're not going to spend a dime on it right now. I believe major roads like Arlington, Greenville, Memorial, Dickinson and Firetower are state roads. And since we now have a governor that thinks too much money is spent on roads in the East, get used to crappy roads.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The streets you guys are talking about are maintained by the state. West 10th street is about to have major construction so they're not going to spend a dime on it right now. I believe major roads like Arlington, Greenville, Memorial, Dickinson and Firetower are state roads. And since we now have a governor that thinks too much money is spent on roads in the East, get used to crappy roads.
I thought that too, but they recently repaved 10th St from the railroad to Evans. 10th St/Stantonsburg needs to have a median from 264 to the new Wal-Mart.

Heck, I think more medians everywhere would cut down on the number of boneheaded moves people can do in vehicles.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Greenville has some of the worst roads I've seen anywhere. Potholes, poor pavement, and roads too small for current traffic.
The City Council is currently discussing a bond to improve roads around here. I bet we could spend $300mil and get to an adequate status.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM

247 posts, read 445,421 times
A restaurant called Egg Yolk is going up in the former Uncle Yammy location beside Moe's. I saw the sign a few days ago.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 PM

232 posts, read 475,121 times
Somewhere i saw that Greenville could get more funding if it had medians to divide the directions of travel. Seeing as we dont have many of those, we are disqualified from a lot of the funding.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
We could certainly use something, whether it needs to be more medians I don't know, to help prevent more accidents. Being ranked worst in the state for collisions is something that certainly needs to be addressed.

The Daily Reflector

Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Council tables decision on DNA lab

The Greenville City Council has tabled the consideration of incentives to attract a DNA analysis firm, “Project Sequence” to Greenville until the Sept. 12 meeting.

Economic Development Officer Carl Rees said before the meeting that staff was planning to request the incentive decision be tabled because they are “still working with outside funders to solidify their contributions so we can determine city matching funds.”

The City of Greenville would need to provide $100,000 to Genome ID Group LLC to help capitalize a fund that will be used to purchase laboratory and office equipment, then subsequently lease that equipment back to the company at “favorable terms,” according to the agenda.

Bringing the lab to Greenville is a joint effort, according to staff, with several partners including the city, Pitt County Development Commission and North Carolina Biotechnology Center.

The Pitt County Board of Commissioners already unanimously supported a request by the Pitt County Development Commission to apply for an economic development award of $50,000 from the N.C. Biotechnology Center.

No county money was needed, but the development commission is responsible for providing in-kind grant administration.

The Biotechnology Center has authorized $50,000 for the project, and the N.C. Rural Center has allocated $60,000 in grant funds.

The grant funds, along with potential contributions from the city, county and Golden LEAF Foundation, will help offset the more than $4 million cost to bring the company to Greenville.

A location at 2305 Executive Park has been selected for the lab.

Project Sequence is expected to create 20 jobs in the first year and increase to a total employment of 126 by the fifth year. The average wage for the first year would be $98,000, and the average wage for the fifth year is expected to be about $64,000.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM

ECU Not Hiring Due To $10.4 Million Budget Cut

East Carolina University has put a hold on hiring after taking a look at the budget state lawmakers set for this year.

ECU administrators say they'll lose $10.4 million this school year. That's a 3.7% cut. ECU says it adjusted to the projected cuts by not hiring.

If jobs are eliminated, ECU says teaching positions would not be cut.

We spoke to the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, Rick Niswander, who says these cuts add up to a bigger issue.

"If you look at 3.7%all by itself it's not that much, but in the last four years this cut adds to about a 30% cut in appropriations. You can't cut your budget by 30% and not have some kind of effect," said Niswander.

While some feel increasing tuition is one way to make up for the loss, we're told that has no bearing on why there are tuition increases.

ECU Not Hiring Due To $10.4 Million Budget Cut

We can't take too many more years of this, before something BIG snaps.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 AM

26 posts, read 50,520 times
Default Dingbatters Seafood Restaurant

Dingbatters Seafood Restaurant opened yesterday next to Shore to Door in Winterville. I haven't seen the menu yet but looking at their page on Facebook it appears to be fresh local seafood and oyster bar type place. I hope they are good, I love eating at small local seafood places.

Also, it was in the Hot Dish in The Reflector, but in case people didn't see it Wimpie's in Winterville will be coming back to their former location in downtown Winterville. The current tenant "The Warehouse" hopes to relocate somewhere in the local area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina