Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Uptown Parking Deck construction camera: Construction Camera: Uptown Parking Deck - Greenville, NC
Pretty impressive so far. The other day I checked, it was only dirt there!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
how many floors will it be?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scstanton View Post
Not sure if actual news, but the airport is getting a runway extension.

Pitt-Greenville Airport Gets $6 Million Grant To Extend Runway
The actual news of the extension is old news, but receiving the money is new news.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
how many floors will it be?
Assuming nothing has changed, it will be a two bay, four-level parking deck, which will yield approximately 256 spaces (64 spaces on each level).

Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
I'm not familiar with the names of the dorms, but if you look at the top of the one closest to Reade Circle next to the West End Dining building you can see the camera that's shooting the parking garage. It's mounted on the corner of the penthouse at the very top.

If anyone knows anyone with (or has access to themselves) one of these buildings you could get an amazing shot of the Boundary construction.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
Quote:
I think I went to Tripps twice the entire time it was open. Both times I was not wowed enough to want to go back. I felt like I could get the same food cheaper elsewhere in town.

The Kickback Jack's format should work in this town with all the college kids. I guess their competition would be Ale House, Hooters, O'Cools, Fitgeralds (kind of) and umm...am I missing anyone? I'm more likely to go here that I ever was Tripps. I've always felt that Hooter's is in a terrible location in this town. They should really be uptown.

Also - I have heard rumors of some big name concert coming to Dowdy-Ficklin in 2015. Anyone heard anything about this?
Tripp's was nice for a date night because the restaurant was pretty quiet, with relaxing music, and the booths were huge and provided for a lot of privacy. I like sports bars too but really thought Tripp's was nice for that reason.

Like I said though, we had stopped going to Greenville's though because the service had gone so far downhill.

There is a Tripp's in Raleigh that is really nice. On Wade Avenue just inside the beltline behind Meredith College.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM

277 posts, read 436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I'm not familiar with the names of the dorms, but if you look at the top of the one closest to Reade Circle next to the West End Dining building you can see the camera that's shooting the parking garage. It's mounted on the corner of the penthouse at the very top.

If anyone knows anyone with (or has access to themselves) one of these buildings you could get an amazing shot of the Boundary construction.
You're thinking of Clement.

Just checked the camera, looks like the've got the top level started on the 4th st side. Coming along very nicely. Driving towards downtown on Charles, you can really see big changes happening. That parking garage is really transforming that block. The Boundary will look even better when they finish...

Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Not much detail on the actual developments, but here's a story about potential projects coming up from last night's Bond advisory meeting.

Quote:
Greenville is a city in transition, and strategic investment will increase revenue and help it grow, the city’s economic development officer told members of a bond committee on Wednesday night.

Greenville’s Bond Advisory Committee was briefed on the city’s economic development progress and plans. The committee requested the presentations as a means to provide context to members, who are charged with to advising the City Council on a potential bond referendum.

Economic Development Officer Carl Rees gave the presentation with an introduction by Community Development Director Merrill Flood.

Flood outlined why municipalities create economic development programs or strategies: to maintain and diversity the employment base in the community; to grow and attract small businesses; to retain talent; to create points of interest that bring discretionary spending to the community; and to create jobs and grow the tax base.

“Its definitely a marathon, it’s not a sprint,” Flood said. “Economic development plans take time to get going. ... We’re talking about a long-term vision.”

Flood and Rees highlighted Greenville’s progress through the years — both in population and economic growth — to give context for where the city stands. They gave examples of economic development progress in other communities, with the emphasis on long-term plans and strategies.

Rees outlined Greenville’s economic challenges, plans and goals and potential opportunities.

“We have been a city of transition for about three decades,” Rees said of Greenville, which had once been an agricultural hub, particularly tobacco. The city now is characterized as a “university-medical marketplace,” he said.

The city has adopted 13 strategic goals to regain jobs, increase city revenue and invest for future success, Rees said.

He said city leaders want to focus on its core as an area for investment, including the medical district, airport, downtown, west Greenville, Dickinson Avenue and east 10th Street. Target sectors for the city to pursue, Rees said, include digital media, retail, life science and advanced manufacturing.

Six specific growth opportunities in the city include: the 10th Street Connector, Dickinson Avenue Corridor, First Street and the Town Common, the Frontgate Drive Retail Corridor, sports development and attraction and the medical district and business technology park, he said.

Rees said challenges include the unbalanced development of the city, trending more toward residential than commercial, and that large swathes of the city are untaxable due in part to the university, medical center, religious properties and airport. About 26 percent of the land area in city limits is tax exempt and about 18 percent of the city’s entire jurisdiction is tax exempt.

Public investment in infrastructure is necessary to attract and encourage additional private investment in Greenville, Rees said.

Some bond committee members expressed concerns about development north of the Tar River because of flooding, but Rees said any considered developments would take that into account.

Rees showed the committee examples of improvements and other investment in those areas that are possible for the city.

Questions arose about funding improvements, like beautification of Dickinson Avenue.

“Private investment follows good public investment,” Rees said, noting that the dissolution of the historic tax credits and other funding by the N.C. General Assembly “is not good,” for development in Greenville.

Committee members expressed interest in discussing public investment near the Tar River and at the Town Common.

“Spend as much money as Greenville can afford ... at the First Street corridor,” Rees said. “Don’t underfund it. Go big. ... We’re missing out on too much tax base.”

Rees said that investment would draw more people, residents and visitors downtown and increase interest in private investment. He pointed to land across First Street from the Town Common as an ideal area of opportunity for development.

Committee member Bianca Shoneman suggested using bond money to revisit the Town Common Master Plan, created about four years ago. Tony Khoury and Terri Williams called the plan “outdated” and Khoury agreed that it should be revisited. Khoury said major investment at the Town Common would encourage commercial development in the area.

Jon Tart said commercial development like hotels or restaurants on at least part of the Town Common would be necessary to fully encourage commercial investment in the area. Williams and Clark agreed with Tart.

Recreation and Parks Director Gary Fenton said there is precedent in other communities for giving up some park land for complementary commercial development whose tax base helped fund further park development.

“Why is it so important ... to keep this only as a park?” Williams asked. “There’s got to be something on the land that pulls (people) there.”

“That park’s just sitting there,” Khoury said.

Fenton said people needed to remember the history of the land that is now the Town Common.

“For some people ... that was home,” Fenton said. “It’s a very emotional issue and I think that has to be considered as we plan.”

Chairman Dennis Mitchell said there has been so much push-back about developing on the Town Common that it was left out of projects like the Tar River Legacy Plan.

Bill Clark said the bond would face resistance due to the impression that the city was investing only in the downtown area, but others mentioned that without the tax base created downtown, other areas of the city would be unsupported or underfunded.

The next bond committee meeting is scheduled for Sept. 10 in the third floor conference room at City Hall. It will further discuss potential projects bond funding could pay for, to determine what a bond would look like. The Bond Advisory Committee’s meetings are open to the public, but not televised.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
here is the WITN story: Six Greenville Project Proposals Spelled Out For Bond Committee

Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 AM

247 posts, read 445,650 times
Quote:
Thanks jpirate. Interesting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina