Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 11:11 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don't see Publix opening just 1 store. Harris Teeter has 3 of them and I heard at one point they wanted a 4th.
How long ago was this? Where would it have located?

Publix could easily open three or four stores around Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:22 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Take over the Lowe's store...its on G-ville BLVD...that's the better spot overall. I agree that they will look to open multiple stores in a market like Greenville. But where on the East side of town would they go if FL isnt abandoning their locales. I still think there is a market on the west side of town (Hospital area/264) for either HT, Publix or both...
The one-way on the A-side of Lowe's Foods #240, closest to Evans Street, can be modified easily into a pharmacy drive through if Publix or another supermarket with a pharmacy opens there.

Are there any sites along East Tenth Street east of Greenville Boulevard that could accommodate a supermarket?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The one-way on the A-side of Lowe's Foods #240, closest to Evans Street, can be modified easily into a pharmacy drive through if Publix or another supermarket with a pharmacy opens there.

Are there any sites along East Tenth Street east of Greenville Boulevard that could accommodate a supermarket?
Maybe...The Rivergate Shopping Center where Ollie's is would seem to be perfect. As well, there is a land beside/behind the new DQ Grill and Chill.

Would love to see something like that go downtown, near the 10th and Evans intersection once the !0th St Connector is complete.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
The Rivergate Center location is already a death trap for anyone that tries to get out of there onto 10th street. All those places like Bojangles, Cookout...terrible to try & pull out in traffic. There is a indoor storage facility being built beside the DQ now for what it's worth. It would be nice for that old funeral home to be torn down.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
The Rivergate Center location is already a death trap for anyone that tries to get out of there onto 10th street. All those places like Bojangles, Cookout...terrible to try & pull out in traffic. There is a indoor storage facility being built beside the DQ now for what it's worth. It would be nice for that old funeral home to be torn down.
And those terrible looking houses behind it as well.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
How long ago was this? Where would it have located?

Publix could easily open three or four stores around Greenville.
It was once rumored that HT wanted to open a fourth store near the hospital (site said to be on Arlington across the street from Physicians East and K&W).

Most likely Publix will want to be represented in Bells Fork, near ECU, and somehow in the Winterville area; with a small possibility in the hospital area. It's all in figuring out how to space them out. They could serve Bells Fork and Winterville at Evans and Firetwower, but it would serve Publix better to be right in Bells Fork where three competitors are located. It's much easier to attract the Eastern Pines crowd here than 10th St. Winterville can also be served from the Lowes store or out on Hwy 11, whether it'd be near PCC or in the proposed shopping center next to the Honda dealership. As far as the ECU area, they could indeed develop the southwest corner of Evans and 10th, but I don't think the area that would be behind the store would appeal to any retailer. Publix could also locate on 10th near the Walmart Supercenter, but that area isn't exactly near ECU. In my opinion a great, yet more expensive option would be to takeover the entire East Gate shopping center, demolish all of it, and custom build there. There's already a convenient traffic light in place for the intersection of 10th and 5th Sts. A store there would serve a vast population including ECU, 10th, the Tar River neighborhood, plus the large neighborhood behind it.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:56 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Greenville pharmaceutical plant adding 110 new jobs

Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
In looking at spots for Publix, I noticed East Gate as well. I just dont see them demolishing that...the location isn't bad, but its not great. That is what is appealing about Rivergate (major corner).

There is a spot literally backing up to Food Lion in Bells Fork...I just dont see them putting a store back to back.

In terms of Bells Fork, I wonder who and when a grocery chain is going to just skip on down to the DH Conley intersection at Worthington and put in a shopping center there. Maybe Publix does that instead of going into a saturated market in Bells Fork and pulls some of that residential toward the south.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM

111 posts, read 148,822 times
I've never seen a city so obsessed with Publix, so I hope it happens. What I'm more interested in at the moment is what retail is going to go in the Boundary location. That will have a bigger impact on the uptown area itself.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 AM

455 posts, read 528,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
I've never seen a city so obsessed with Publix, so I hope it happens. What I'm more interested in at the moment is what retail is going to go in the Boundary location. That will have a bigger impact on the uptown area itself.
Is that retail spot the only one still vacant? Have they lined up restaurants for the other two locations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina