Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 PM

3,080 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Some interesting ideas, does the state even have a plan as such to open up the east? I doubt it as I have have never heard nor seen such a thing. With the SW bypass already booked perhaps something similar to your vision will happen eventually as a spur from the proposed I-44 in Bethel through Greenville and down to Kinston and into Wallace? I always though a north/south interstate that ran the coast was a good idea as I-95 pulls away from the coast near Savannah. Make 17 an interstate from the intersection with 95 just north of Hilton Head all the way to Norfolk.
You know why none of that would ever get done?

Because none of those roads lead to Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 PM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
You know why none of that would ever get done?

Because none of those roads lead to Raleigh.
Exactly. The only growth and prosperity in this state is either RDU, CLT, somewhere between. It is why if McCroy and Co. put this joke up for vote Gov. Pat McCrory’s roads, buildings bonds would go to statewide vote | State Politics | NewsObserver.com I hope you'll vote accordingly. They think throwing crumbs across the state, like the 15 million in there for Dickenson Ave, is carrot enough to entice voters to vote for almost 1.5 billion to study old building in downtown Raleigh. They can stick that.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
They think throwing crumbs across the state, like the 15 million in there for Dickenson Ave,
I'd much rather see them do something to improve the southeast to northwest Greenville commute. It is an absolute miserably trip, that is made significantly worse if a train stops traffic on Arlington.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:11 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
The only growth and prosperity in this state is either RDU, CLT, somewhere between.
That is true, but its not the politicians fault, and it doesn't have to be that way. Its due to the fact that those are the population centers, with major airports, better school systems, and a quality of life that makes it possible to attract young people, skilled employees and new companies. If places like Greenville want to participate, they need to make themselves more attractive by having excellent schools, an educated, skilled and productive workforce, and a high quality of life. Waiting for someone to ride in a white horse and rescue you isn't a viable plan. If that offends you, I'm sorry, but thats reality.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
That is true, but its not the politicians fault, and it doesn't have to be that way. Its due to the fact that those are the population centers, with major airports, better school systems, and a quality of life that makes it possible to attract young people, skilled employees and new companies. If places like Greenville want to participate, they need to make themselves more attractive by having excellent schools, an educated, skilled and productive workforce, and a high quality of life. Waiting for someone to ride in a white horse and rescue you isn't a viable plan. If that offends you, I'm sorry, but thats reality.
So which came first, chicken or egg? Are the school systems and quality of life a product of the populous or did they attract the populous there? I fully understand that areas of populous naturally derive more investment and growth bc there is more wealth, but as a state/government there should be an effort to develop throughout the state. I'm not asking for a hand out, I'm asking for the ability to do exactly what you have suggested. Grow our own. Greenville has languished through history for whatever reason but the current leadership seems to have it rolling in the right direction DESPITE the lack of infrastructure and snails-pace investment down east. Look at the northeast part of the state, it is far and away the largest swath of territory without interstate access. Why? With resources like the inner and outer banks, the port at MC, Kinston's transpark and giant airport, Jacksonville's military base etc. All of these places are primed for growth but they are handcuffed without access. Ask economic developers how important access can be when wooing business. Interstate doesn't guarantee success but lack of access makes it that much more difficult.

Of the 22 largest cities in NC every one is on an interstate except Greenville and Jacksonville. Populations of North Carolina (NC) Cities - ranked by Population Size So I'd say Greenville is doing rather well for itself.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
So which came first, chicken or egg? Are the school systems and quality of life a product of the populous or did they attract the populous there? I fully understand that areas of populous naturally derive more investment and growth bc there is more wealth, but as a state/government there should be an effort to develop throughout the state. I'm not asking for a hand out, I'm asking for the ability to do exactly what you have suggested. Grow our own. Greenville has languished through history for whatever reason but the current leadership seems to have it rolling in the right direction DESPITE the lack of infrastructure and snails-pace investment down east. Look at the northeast part of the state, it is far and away the largest swath of territory without interstate access. Why? With resources like the inner and outer banks, the port at MC, Kinston's transpark and giant airport, Jacksonville's military base etc. All of these places are primed for growth but they are handcuffed without access. Ask economic developers how important access can be when wooing business. Interstate doesn't guarantee success but lack of access makes it that much more difficult.

Of the 22 largest cities in NC every one is on an interstate except Greenville and Jacksonville. Populations of North Carolina (NC) Cities - ranked by Population Size So I'd say Greenville is doing rather well for itself.
Isn't 264 a limited access freeway (i.e. interstate) back to I-95? Has I-95 made Rocky Mount and Wilson prosper? Has I-40 been a magic bullet for Wallace and Clinton? Benson is at the intersection of 2 interstates but its hardly a paragon of prosperity.

The reason there's no interstate in the NE is because there's nothing there. And running an interstate through the middle of nowhere doesn't do much. (see I-40)

Morehead City's port is, in relative terms, tiny, and having an interstate run to it wouldn't change that. The Outer Banks are a vacation destination, not an economic development driver (except as far as tourism is economic development). Military bases also aren't drivers of economic development.

I just don't see lack of interstates as being the only thing standing between eastern NC and prosperity.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
No one said anything about an Interstate being a cure all for anyone. But I certainly don't think it would hurt. The East has struggled for a very long time. No one cares about the East until they want to go to Nags Head, or Wilmington, or Atlantic Beach in the summer.

And it really is a chicken or the egg type of thing. People leave the East because there is not enough to offer. But then it's hard to attract the things that people want (to help them stay)because there are not a lot of people in the area. So then more people leave because there are not enough things to offer. Then you have a lot less money & resources to work with when the population is lower.

There does need to be growth throughout the state. Not just in Charlotte or Greensboro or Raleigh. However, there is no magic wand. We won't wake up tomorrow and see that Bertie County Schools will be the top ranked school system in the state. We won't wake up and find that Hyde County has 80,000 people trying to buy houses and build businesses. It certainly can be that way one day, but it will have to come from assistance from other areas to help the area grow. To think that all Greenville has to do is wave a wand and magically "have" all the amenities that Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, or Winston Salem offer is ridiculous.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM

No tourist destinations and military bases do not ensure growth but they are economic engines, they do offer more potential for growth vs what Wallace, Clinton, and Benson have. I acknowledged the fact that interstate access doesn't guarantee development but to speak to the difference it can make, look at MC vs Wilmington now. Gov Hunt chose to send I-40 to Wilmington instead of MC and look at what I-40 has done for Wilmington in 30 years. Admittedly I don't know the inter workings of port systems but we will disagree on an interstate's impact on the MC port, IMO the ability to move freight in mass and efficiently would directly correlate to a ports viability.

No there isn't much through NE NC and yet an interstate is proposed and likely to occur there to connect Raleigh and Norfolk. Rather than route this new interstate through one of the state's top 10 largest cities, medical/regional hub, with the 3rd largest university and down to Washington NC opening access to the Pamlico they chose to go through Tarboro and Bethel... Why? Economically Greenville (and Washington bc of the river) offer far more "bang for your buck." They have more foundation to grow and develop with interstate access than anywhere along Hwy 64. So why? So the trip is 15 mins faster from Raleigh to Norfolk? 15 mins at the expense of potentially increased prosperity and growth for more of NC?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:05 AM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Well said FrancisDrake. I agree completely. Even though Kinston got the Transpark years ago it has languished. So despite the money funneled it's way and the efforts of Lenoir County, access seems to be a likely culprit in it's hampered growth. A number of years back, one major company admitted that was why they didn't locate there - can't remember, maybe FedEx. Drawing a blank on that one.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Well said FrancisDrake. I agree completely. Even though Kinston got the Transpark years ago it has languished. So despite the money funneled it's way and the efforts of Lenoir County, access seems to be a likely culprit in it's hampered growth. A number of years back, one major company admitted that was why they didn't locate there - can't remember, maybe FedEx. Drawing a blank on that one.
Transpark got put in Kinston for political reasons, rather than where it could have actually been a big benefit to the state in a location that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina