Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 AM

455 posts, read 528,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
White Residence Hall will undergo Phase 3, scheduled to begin construction in January 2016 and complete in July 2016, includes substantial renovation and replacement of the building’s exterior facades. In this process the image of the building will change substantially.

I am glad to see ECU changing all of their buildings to this Spanish-mission type architecture.
Excellent! Are all the dorms on the hill done now? It was time for west end to get an over hall. I imagine The adjacent dorm and Fletcher are in line for the same treatment. I agree the spanish-mission uniformity will look awesome across campus!

Its hard being patient! I hope things get going Uptown for ECU and the Millennial are quick to fruition.

I think Calvin would be foolish to run against Thomas though it would be a hotly contested race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 PM

277 posts, read 436,372 times
The new ECU offices and the Boundary will help downtown in two different but very similar ways.

What are some of the problems with downtown? Bad tenants? Not "lively" enough?

Why isn't it lively? No real traffic. No reason for people to come. Businesses can sustain themselves through the school year but not so much during the summer. So what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Now we'll have an additional 500+ people living downtown (and not just during the school year) as well as dozens of new people working there. These are people that will walk across the street for a bite of lunch, dinner, or maybe shop a little. With the increased flow of people I feel like we'll see better business development.

Another minor point: The registrars office was a horrible place to access unless you wanted to use the metered lot on fifth. Now it is an easy walk from the new parking deck.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM

181 posts, read 241,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
The new ECU offices and the Boundary will help downtown in two different but very similar ways.

What are some of the problems with downtown? Bad tenants? Not "lively" enough?

Why isn't it lively? No real traffic. No reason for people to come. Businesses can sustain themselves through the school year but not so much during the summer. So what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Now we'll have an additional 500+ people living downtown (and not just during the school year) as well as dozens of new people working there. These are people that will walk across the street for a bite of lunch, dinner, or maybe shop a little. With the increased flow of people I feel like we'll see better business development.

Another minor point: The registrars office was a horrible place to access unless you wanted to use the metered lot on fifth. Now it is an easy walk from the new parking deck.
Precisely. Until UT Greenville becomes a place for 9-5 Monday to Friday business - which it is moving closer and closer to by the day - retail and dining will be terrified by the unsustainability of the summer months.

There are 2 things that are going to help fix this, and I firmly believe both of them will work:

1. The Tar River Multi Use Development at First and Greene
2. The continued renovation of 5th and Cotanche area buildings into brand new office spaces

Once both of those happen - there will be a better chance at balance. Then, private business will feel secure with May - August, and they'll have 21.5k extra folks every other month.

Right now, everyone is "talking" about Uptown in Greenville. "Have you heard about downtown?" "Have you been downtown lately?" "Thank god we're finally getting downtown on track" are a few of them. When there's a few anchor pulls, that area is going to really start thriving. When there's public interest, just a few results will cause a multiplication.

Right now, if I'm a business owner, I'm moving downtown while the local gov't is still subsidizing these properties and I can get them dirt cheap because fast forward 7-10 years when ECU continues development, Town Common is developed, and more young professional-oriented development is built, land value is going to climb substantially.

I didn't even mention Dickenson with the Science Center and ECU Millennial Campus..that's a whole nother animal. Good things are coming folks.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Agreed...PP189...now is absolutely the time to go in, because once that 10th St extension project gets underway and the Boundary opens up...the floodgates are going to open and the prices are going to increase. That's why you see Taft/Ward buying up a block now and the Community Smith stuff happening, even over on Dickinson.

Uptown Greenville, IMO, will become a special place because the rest of Greenville is basically just strip centers and the college crowd/millennials are looking more for something special. When that 10th St connector is done and you have the Boundary open, 700 students at the Gateway, another student housing project next to the Town Common, ECU investment...Uptown Greenville will be inundated with students at times other than after 11PM. That's when real investment will happen in what is a relatively small downtown area.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Nice story on WNCT about the ECU Economic Engine...

The ECU economic engine - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Quote:
GREENVILLE, N.C. - The economies of both the city of Greenville and Pitt County are looking up after years of explosive population growth, thanks in no small part to a large regional medical center and of course...East Carolina University.

"Greenville is 85,000 people. The county is 150,000 people," said ECU's Vice Chancellor for Finance Rick Niswander. "That, in large part, is because of East Carolina University and Vidant. Those are the two big drivers in this part of the state. Without that, it'd be a very, very different place."

ECU recently completed a study which reveals the school's economic impact on eastern North Carolina and the numbers may surprise you.

"East Carolina University is a $3 billion economic engine for the state and in eastern North Carolina it's somewhere in the vicinity of $2 billion," Niswander says. "That is a big economic driver for this part of the state."

"You've got plus or minus 28,000 students here and ECU's numbers tell us that those students are spending about $600 million a year in the Greenville economy, which is a big number by any standard," says Greenville's Economic Development Manager Carl Rees.

Besides student spending how else can the city capitalize? The school, being a public entity, contributes zero to the property tax rolls. That's where public/private partnerships come in.
It's abandoned warehouses that the city and the university are hoping to work together on as they look to develop the old tobacco district and make it a live, work and play destination.

"East Carolina University owns about 20 acres of what was once Greenville's historic tobacco district," Rees says. "They completed a master plan several years ago that calls for this to be an innovation type campus for them where they can co-locate with business and industry."

"We're going to see a lot more public/private opportunities over the next 6 months to a year," says Niswander. "We're going to have some things that are going to be eye openers to many folks, developing our warehouse district. Some interesting stuff coming up."

Niswander points out that the university already has a significant presence in Uptown Greenville and recently opened another office in the district that will only add to the ever growing foot traffic.

"We have 250 to 300 people working in Uptown Greenville right now," he says. "The Registrar's Office has moved into downtown Greenville. That's all part of the plan to have a one-stop for all of our student services to create a more vibrant Uptown Greenville."

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
I've heard Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ is coming here. Anyone heard of this?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Crossbones Tavern is open, replacing Peasant's Pub.

New bar opens in Uptown Greenville - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 AM

20 posts, read 34,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I've heard Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ is coming here. Anyone heard of this?
It'll be right next to the PF Chang's and Hobby Lobby

Just kidding of course...but I would LOVE to see Smithfield's here.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
I asked Smithfield about this on their Facebook page several days ago and got no reply. Their lack of a response may indicate plans in the works that they don't wish to comment on. I think that if they weren't planning on something in Greenville, they would have said so.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
I love developments like this...

Collaboration and Partnership to Establish a Pharmaceutical Powerhouse
GREENVILLE, NC (March 2, 2015) – East Carolina University (ECU) and Pitt Community College (PCC) will partner to create the East Coast’s finest training center for biomanufacturing and pharmaceuticals with funds provided by the Golden LEAF Foundation. Additional support from the North Carolina Community College System’s NCWorks Customized Training and BioNetwork will enhance the planned facilities and programs.

The Golden LEAF Board of Directors voted unanimously at its February meeting to provide $1,750,000 – the largest such grant this year – to ECU ($1,100,000) and PCC ($650,000). The funds at each institution will be used to establish the Biopharmaceutical Work Force Development and Manufacturing Center of Excellence.

Collaboration and Partnership to Establish a Pharmaceutical Powerhouse | Pitt County Development Commission

Whenever there is a significant development occurring in Greenville I post it to my Facebook wall. My friends range from California to Florida to Maryland to Massachusetts and everywhere in between. They are very curious as to just what is going on here in Greenville to cause all of this development, when so many other places have nothing going on.

I tell them that there is a very dedicated group of professionals including developers, college officials, hospital administrators, business owners and last but probably the most important, a mayor that is busting his hump to make things happen in this great medium sized city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina