Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The ECU Registrar's office is is using some of the Community Smith property...that is a major change that will bring foot traffic into downtown Greenville. Good to see ECU utilizing downtown.
The best way to get traffic and business into downtown is to build student housing, or even regular apartments for professionals or older students.

Lots of college towns across the US have booming downtown areas filled with nice restaurants, boutiques, and bars. There are student apartments. These students need somewhere to eat, shop, and drink, so businesses open.

This is one aspect I didn't realize downtown Greenville was missing until I actually ventured into other college towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
The best way to get traffic and business into downtown is to build student housing, or even regular apartments for professionals or older students.

Lots of college towns across the US have booming downtown areas filled with nice restaurants, boutiques, and bars. There are student apartments. These students need somewhere to eat, shop, and drink, so businesses open.

This is one aspect I didn't realize downtown Greenville was missing until I actually ventured into other college towns.
One reason I have mentioned that the student housing complexes built over the last decade are really an abomination. The First St Place, Georgetowne and Province student housing complexes is what you want...not across the river and across Greenville Blvd with buses. Hopefully kids will want to be closer to campus and downtown and render those other complexes less valuable. If the buses stopped running to them, all the kids would move back closer to campus.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
One reason I have mentioned that the student housing complexes built over the last decade are really an abomination. The First St Place, Georgetowne and Province student housing complexes is what you want...not across the river and across Greenville Blvd with buses. Hopefully kids will want to be closer to campus and downtown and render those other complexes less valuable. If the buses stopped running to them, all the kids would move back closer to campus.
It is a HECK of a lot easier to turn farm land into an apartment complex, compared to redeveloping downtown. Which is why we had a flood of apartment complexes built on the outskirts of town.

I don't know how much "red tape" there is, but there should be some kind of fast track system in place for Georgetown and First Street Place type redevelopments (assuming there isn't).

Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Would everyone agree that the highlighted buildings are the ONLY ones that are "safe" from being razed and redeveloped?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM

29 posts, read 39,930 times
I would think the block just south of the courthouse would be partially safe. The building that contains Jefferson's (Blount-Harvey??) is pretty historic and has been refurbished nicely. There is a very nice facility just above Jefferson's that can be rented out for social events. I attended a wedding reception there once. It was interesting looking out over downtown Greenville from that elevated view point.

Last edited by Dad-Life; 04-25-2014 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Would everyone agree that the highlighted buildings are the ONLY ones that are "safe" from being razed and redeveloped?
I agree with the Jefferson's area being safe from razing, but I don't think there are but so many places downtown that can't be redeveloped, even if they aren't razed. Isn't most of Dickinson protected as a landmark area? If so, those properties cannot be razed.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM

978 posts, read 2,055,494 times
Quote:
ECU has a nice bus system. However, most universities don't need busses unless it's for commuter parking lots. Busses are not needed as most students live within walking distance to campus.

A highrise student apartment complex would sure be nice for downtown Greenville.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM

192 posts, read 281,434 times
More good news for those of us who like healthy food... Living Well Natural and Organic Market from Kinston is now moving to Winterville! They will be located right next to the Coffee Shack across from Sam's Club.

Home - Living Well Down East

They are scheduled to open May 27th.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Has anyone else noticed the numerous automatic traffic counters around the city?

I wonder if they are figuring out which road(s) are needing repairing the most? Or something else

Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Has anyone else noticed the numerous automatic traffic counters around the city?

I wonder if they are figuring out which road(s) are needing repairing the most? Or something else
I've noticed them. The one on Dickinson had been ripped away, made me wonder if it was accidental or someone vandalizing. Either way, the count will be much higher heading east than west!

I know the Mayor wants the roads taken care sooner rather than later, because it's more economical to maintain than repair. Perhaps these counters factor into this goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina